Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
d
Debbie
Town Hall Tablets
I have been trying to find out what is happening to the Town Hall and its contents. I was totally in the dark about WMBC's intent with regard to this once lovely old building, which has been left to literally fall apart over these past few years. I understand pro...
Views: 210   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 19, 2015 8:31am
by Clarkey
m
mags
Cis / Ciss Lane
Does anyone know where Cis or Ciss Lane was located ? All my efforts have drawn blanks but I think may have been Downall Green area.
Views: 247   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 27, 2015 9:08am
by Dougie
New Forum
You might have noticed that the website has been updated and a new forum added. Hope you can all come over to the new forum now and we can try to build it back up and have some decent discussions. Any ideas and comments more than welcome. Registration is needed...
Views: 316   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 27, 2015 8:47am
by Dougie
r
RGB
Single room office needed
Hello just wondering if there are any small units available to rent in or around Ashton, big enough for desks for 3 people and other office equipment
Views: 186   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 4, 2015 9:19pm
by RGB
r
roy
st thomases infants school heath rd
does anybody know what is happening with this building , it really has become an eyesore , it literally looks like it is going to collapse under its own weight.
Views: 435   Replies: 13
Last Post: Jul 28, 2015 7:15pm
by Dougie
a
Adele
Dementia Cafés & Carer Support Groups ~ held by the Alzheimers Society
If you know of someone who is living with Dementia; a family member or friend please, feel free to mention our Cafés. These are held, every month, across various parts of the Wigan Boro'. Dementia Cafés offer a relaxed social gathering for people wi...
Views: 256   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 26, 2015 9:24am
by Adele
a
Adele
Active Living Cafe ~ held by the WLCT
Dementia Cafés offer a relaxed social gathering for people with dementia and their carers. These are held by the Active Living Team for the WLCT Every month carers & loved ones receive a warm welcome at our ‘Active Café. Enjoy evidence based exerci...
Views: 232   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 26, 2015 9:17am
by Adele
d
Debbie
Our Town and what we've lost
I walk many, many miles around our area and am so sad when I see how much litter and flytipping takes place. There also seems no passion and respect given to protect our older buildings. In my opinion when I look at old pictures of the Town I much prefer it 100 yea...
Views: 487   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 11, 2015 1:42pm
by Ian
d
Dougie
Town Green Garden
I've just added this garden and the Stubshaw Cross garden to your site before I go, feel free to delete them if you wish but someone may come along looking at your site in the future that as not seen them
Views: 706   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 2, 2015 10:48pm
by Dougie
just looking
Many years ago on holiday in Rhyl I met Margaret Owen, she had a sister Rosemary, we kept in touch for a while thru the early seventies, I came from the Midlands, would love to find her tt
Views: 289   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 28, 2015 2:54am
by Karen
Master Butchers emigrating to Makerfield area
August Reiss and his siblings were born to Georg Reiss and Charlotte Jag Reiss from Kocherstetten in Baden-Württemberg. My great grandmother was born in Kocherstetten in 1842 and also emigrated to England in 1861 with her younger brother. Margaretha Brück m...
Views: 383   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 16, 2015 1:47pm
by Marguerite
centra line pipe making and laying in the 1970s
I am trying to trace anyone who worked for the company centra line in ashton in the 1970-1980, especially working abroad and Germany. My father in law worked in Germany for this company in the 70s and had £25 a week taken from his wage as savings. He now has a d...
Views: 276   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 25, 2015 1:49pm
by valerie higham
g
GILL
DOG FRIENDLY PUBS
Both my husband and I have lived in and around this area for all of our lives and lived in Ashton for 20 years. We are responsible dog owners and walk our dog twice daily. Over the weekends we sometimes walk our dog into Bilinge. Lovely walk but we mainly end up...
Views: 257   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 12, 2015 5:44pm
by Debbie
Crash
Anybody got any information on the car crash in Bolton Road in the early hours of Sunday morning 1st Feb outside the Chinnes chip shop. All that remains is sand on the road. It was attended by police and fire services.
Views: 268   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 1, 2015 9:36pm
by Frank lee
p
peterp
Christmas
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to anyone who still uses this site
Views: 347   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 29, 2014 10:06am
by Clarkey
Christmas Tree !!!????
What have they given us? It can hardly be seen above the fence round it. Big turn on of the lights tonight, someone really is taking the water! A WOW for the one at Whitledge Green, big turn on there with a band playing. Two suits and a lady 'walking round' tree...
Views: 279   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 6, 2014 7:48pm
by peterp
2014 Public Bonfires/Firework Displays
Anyone know of any occurring locally this year? The Hingemakers have cancelled their event due to escalating insurance costs.
Views: 342   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 26, 2014 9:09am
by Clarkey
g
Graham
Culvert under Ashton-in-Makerfield
Found this link http://www.urbexforums.com/showthread.php/8438-Tom-and-Jerry-s-Culvert-Ashton-in-Makerfield-March-2010 Anyone know more about this?
Views: 383   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 26, 2014 9:03am
by Clarkey
Local councillors
Wigan and Leigh are spending £2.2 million on making their town centres look better Wigan is having a fountain. When are the elected councillors for Ashton going to start fighting for Ashton so why should we pay rates for new shopping centres in Wigan and Leigh a...
Views: 335   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 23, 2014 3:16pm
by JohnW
k
Karin
Green parrot in Jubilee Park / Mucklow Estate
For the past few years now we have seen and heard a green parrot (or macaw) in the vicinity of Jubilee Park and the Mucklow Estate. We saw it again last week on the park and it has survived the snow and ice and is looking very healthy. Does anybody know if this is...
Views: 389   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 14, 2014 10:08am
by lee
s
Steve
Line Dancing Classes
Does anyone know of any Line Dancing classes in Ashton-In-Makerfield, Bryn, Golborne, Lowton area please. My Wife and Daughter are interested in taking classes. Thank you
Views: 244   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 13, 2014 4:55pm
by Amos
l
Liz
Comedy Night at Stubshaw Cross Labour Club
Hi everyone, Just to let you know about 'A Night Of Comedy' at Stubshaw Cross Labour Club on 6th and 7th November. If you would like to come along it will be just £3 a ticket and the proceeds from this are all going to a local charity that helps poor families...
Views: 216   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 9, 2014 9:13am
by Liz
Bolton Rd Baptist Chapel
For anyone interested I've just posted some information about this chapel on my flickr page. (Click on each image and then scroll down for commentary.) I note there has been speculation about it here in the past...
Views: 240   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 19, 2014 9:50am
by Clarkey
Charity Craft Fayre
Come along and join us for our charity craft fayre. At Stubshaw Cross Labour Club. Ashton-in-Makerfield. 1-5pm Sunday 14th September. Elsa from Frozen will be there 2-4pm! Plus over 40 stalls including face painting, tombola, raffle, jewellery, art prints and many...
Views: 227   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 7, 2014 6:23pm
by Alex Spark
Still time to object
There's still time to object to the building over of the fields at Bryn causing untold extra traffic for Ashton town centre. Have you heard about it? Get some advice here
Views: 260   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 5, 2014 9:44pm
by Ashtonian
Building over the fields at Bryn
I see that the plans have been submitted for the Bryn development. 500 houses a big super market and industrial units. Where is all that traffic going to go to? Ashton is up for some more congestion.
Views: 422   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 30, 2014 2:23pm
by Ian
i
Ian
PUBLIC MEETING
PUBLIC MEETING. THURSDAY 24th JULY. 7.30 pm. BRYN LABOUR CLUB. For update on development plans for Bryn, the effect they will have on the whole of Ashton and how to object to them. Please inform your neighbours. Bring along any objections you have from your...
Views: 290   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 20, 2014 7:16pm
by Ian
t
Trevor
Parking Fine
My partner was working in Ashton on a Saturday and Sunday,as she has done many times, killing time waiting for her I have Parked in the Gerrard Centre. This time I was issued with a parking fine for being over the time limit. Firstly I have never seen parking restric...
Views: 261   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jul 13, 2014 6:51pm
by Resident
Anyone lost a budgie?
Anyone lost a budgie? Found on Bolton Rd. SHARE THIS MESSAGE PLEASE so it can get back to its owner.
Views: 187   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 13, 2014 5:43pm
by Emma
Ashton Grammar School Reunion 1967-1974
Calling all students who attended Ashton Grammar School between 1967-1974, a reunion is being held as it has been 40 years since you left. We have people registered already but we want to make it a fantastic evening so we'd like to see you all there! Please e-mail fo...
Views: 356   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 12, 2014 12:21pm
by Stephanie Stella...
p
peterp
pubs
Cross Keys gone now a house Bee Hive going apartments Golden Ball going Who knows what? Is the Rockleigh next?
Views: 658   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 27, 2014 9:57am
by peterp
Jubilee Park
I see a campaign is building to have the skate park removed from Jubilee Park, Wigan Rd. I do hope this DOESN'T come to pass. I have every sympathy with those who live near the Park and have endured months of anti-social behaviour in and around that area. Having b...
Views: 739   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 13, 2014 5:57am
by Paulah
Landgate/Bryn Development Plans
I only just realised -too late to take part in the public consultations- the extent of the area between Landgate and Bryn that the council intends to use for new housing (300 homes) and commercial premises. It is a huge swathe of open countryside running right the w...
Views: 870   Replies: 14
Last Post: May 2, 2014 10:21am
by Ian
Traffic Impact from proposals at Bryn/Landgate.
If more industrial units, 465 houses, a 450 car-space supermarket are built on the land between Landgate and Bryn Rd, what impact will this have on the traffic through Ashton?
Views: 378   Replies: 7
Last Post: Apr 18, 2014 6:57am
by Clarkey
j
John W
Songs of Praise from St Oswald's
While channel hopping on Sunday afternoon I stumbled on some local exposure on National TV. While it is still on BBC iplayer (until just Sunday 12th?), the programme might be worth a viewing if you missed it. They featured some Wigan history, the history of the chu...
Views: 253   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 9, 2014 12:41pm
by Clarkey
New local history books in library
I noticed today that A-in-M library now has copies of the books on Garswood New Hall and The Lancashire Hussars Yeomanry Cavalry by local historian, David A Fearnley. So far as I'm aware they were previously only available in the old reference library over the Histo...
Views: 295   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 20, 2014 9:25am
by Dougie
Robert Kelly 16.11.1893 Ashton in Makerfield
Hi,im a football fan living in Portugal,im attempting to write a book on British football managers in Portugal.The second one was Bob Kelly.I know very little of his early life,he was supposed to work in a local coal mine initially,i would love to know which one and...
Views: 270   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 20, 2014 9:16am
by Dougie
a
Amos
Burglars
There has been an increase in burglaries in the Ashton area . The puzzling facts in some cases are that, although victims are convinced that they locked their doors, there were no signs of a break-in. Someone still managed to gain access and steal possessions.This ob...
Views: 460   Replies: 5
Last Post: Mar 8, 2014 2:12pm
by Darren
ashurst family
hi there i would like to ask if any one knows my grandmother sarah alice ashurst, she was born spring view long lane ashton ,they moved to 465 bolton rd , she married my grandad joseph norman hutchinson 53 joffs? lane1917. did she have any siblings i dont k...
Views: 467   Replies: 25
Last Post: Mar 6, 2014 3:33pm
by Emma Ashurst
Town green
It took years to get the land at the back of Tesco express to award winning standard and days now to destroy it. How long before Wigan council sell this land off for housing. It's a disgrace to spoil this garden and turn it into a eyesore, how long before it's fly ti...
Views: 397   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 28, 2014 12:33pm
by Ashtoner
g
golfer
switches
Why do the manufacturers of electronic equipment such as TV and the like, camouflage the switches so that you cannot find them?
Views: 289   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 19, 2014 1:28am
by TH
j
John
Litter
Dear All. I have lived in Ashton for approximately 7 years now, originally by sheer chance and circumstance. However I have grown to like the area very much and have no plans to move. Infact, we sold our house 2 years ago, and bought another around the corner!...
Views: 344   Replies: 9
Last Post: Feb 13, 2014 8:11pm
by Dougie
p
Phil
Drum and Monkey
OK, everybody knows this was the common name for the (North Ward?) Labour Club on Bryn Road. But where does the nickname come from? Lists of old Ashton pubs don't mention it, so was it not a pub which became a club? Or what? In fact, we all just called it the Drum...
Views: 373   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jan 22, 2014 10:09am
by Clarkey
d
Dougie
YouTube video I made
I've uploaded this as no one else seems to be using this forum just now, so just Click here to have a go at doing it go on give it a try, all I ask is how it balances on the edge of the glass without falling off 0%
Views: 264   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 15, 2014 5:25pm
by John W
old photo's
Hi there, I am wondering if anyone would have any old photo's of ashton especially any of the Jubilee club on wigan road, once the British Legion. many thanks
Views: 305   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jan 14, 2014 10:19am
by Phil
d
Dougie
Card trick
Just made this with the wife not seen it myself yet LOL may delete it but you can watch it with me Here she did get a bit mixed-up but I know i'm right, but how do I know that LOL All you do is remember one card that's the fourth card you turn over in this ca...
Views: 205   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 14, 2014 10:04am
by Phil
d
Dougie
My walk today
Part of my walk today --Here-- going to Asda,---- where did I take this photo----
Views: 289   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jan 11, 2014 10:45am
by Dougie
d
Dougie
One more
Again not in Ashton but most will have seen it
Views: 236   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 3, 2014 7:46pm
by Myrtle Creamcake
d
Dougie
Christmas Eve
Karin-- Will you be having your Christmas walk tomorrow evening through Ashton again not seen anything about it this year
Views: 235   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 3, 2014 11:37am
by Dougie
d
Dougie
Not in Ashton
But where did I take this photo and who is it of,she achieved world fame for what
Views: 293   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jan 2, 2014 8:59am
by Clarkey
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Free Forum powered by Bravenet