Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Our Town and what we've lost

I walk many, many miles around our area and am so sad when I see how much litter and flytipping takes place. There also seems no passion and respect given to protect our older buildings. In my opinion when I look at old pictures of the Town I much prefer it 100 years ago, where's the progress in that?

Has anyone found the site , Britain from above', it is fantastic. I have used this site to go on certain walks and have found a jar full of 'treasure troves', namely crockery and glassware. Next time you are passing the Post House take a look through the shrubbery and you can just spot a single old fence post which used to be painted white and was part of the fencing leading up to the old hall, I can't tell you how excited I was to see this. The site also shows the beautiful old farmhouse where the Thistle Hotel is now, when I look at what has replaced it I could weep.

We have lost so much.

Town: Ashton

Re: Our Town and what we've lost

Quite agree. All on Labour's watch.
Do something about it by voting labour out on May 7th

Town: Ashton-in-Makerfield

People of Ashton do lots of talking but very little doing. They want a better place but unless they get involved within the community instead of just looking in and complaining, nothing will change.

Town: Ashton in Makerfield

And if the council get their way then we will be losing all the sparrow fields at Bryn. All the way from the Co-op to Landgate.

Town: Ashton