Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
d
DM
Ashton Heath
I wish that the ignorant person or persons who frequently undo the conservation work in the wood at Ashton Heath would stop this irritating vandalism. The fallen trees and branches lining the paths in the wood are put there for several reasons: 1. They indicate...
Views: 317   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 8, 2007 12:06am
by David M
m
Mark
Land Junction Druid Street Mill St
Does anyone know what is being built on this land. I see that the original planning application for a bungalow was refused, so what has been accepted. What was the pub called (Millstone?) that used to stand on that land? Who was the brewery or was it a freehouse?...
Views: 402   Replies: 9
Last Post: Oct 7, 2007 11:45am
by Mike Concah
j
jack
re-british justice.
do the police realise that the motorcyclist was disabled in the first place!how a disabled person could get on a motorbike in the first place is quite incredible!
Views: 649   Replies: 28
Last Post: Oct 5, 2007 2:31pm
by Alan
a
Alan
Big Thank You
Hi Fellow Posters I think I write for us all when I say we will miss Julien's humourous postings. BUT, a big thank you is also due for the fact we will not be having the lorries trundling to the industrial estate expansion. Despite the IRA and subsequent illnesses...
Views: 305   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 2, 2007 10:09pm
by Alan
a
Alan
Any Answers
Hi Just been tidying the garage, I wander if anyone can answer a thing that puzzled me. 1 Where do all the screw drivers end up? 2 Why do wires always end up in a tangled mess? 3 Why when you give up looking for something and buy a new one, do you find two you ha...
Views: 264   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 2, 2007 4:16pm
by David M
d
DM
Barclays Bank
What an organisation! I've been trying to sort out a relative's account since April and am still waiting for them to send me a bank statement. I'm thankful that I don't use them, as it's been one mistake after another. How they retain customers in Ashton I don't know...
Views: 355   Replies: 13
Last Post: Sep 29, 2007 3:01pm
by David M
j
julian
An Apology
I would like take this chance to apologise to the owner of this forum for the way the trouble over 1 of my recent threads has spread further a field. May it continue with the good work in the future. I will no longer be using this forum and wish all the readers an...
Views: 330   Replies: 7
Last Post: Sep 29, 2007 9:42am
by Vic
i
Ian
New Scientists
I don't know why but I have kept a pile of "New Scientist" magazines from the 80's and now have come to my senses and am going to throw them away. Nobody wamts them do they?
Views: 221   Replies: 9
Last Post: Sep 28, 2007 6:09pm
by Section 8
100 year old Library
Ashton Library will be 100 years old on 11th December this year,Are any special events planed?
Views: 199   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 27, 2007 5:30pm
by Andrede
j
Julian
Just for JACK/JERK
Here is just a small portion of the feelings of other road users (SOME ARE ACTUALLY DISABLED) http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=127657&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 http://www.rivingtonbarn.com/viewtopic.php?t=7770 http://forum.disabledbiker.c...
Views: 324   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 27, 2007 2:02pm
by Julian
j
Julian
British Justice
Dear Readers, I write to you to inform the law abiding drivers of Wigan & further afield that the Law is a complete waste of time for a crimes victims, In June this year I was out on my motorbike with friends, we had a pleasurable ride out over to Southport and came...
Views: 241   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 27, 2007 1:17pm
by me-who
A Stubshy stag do
In about 1972-3 I was at my Nains on Bolton road.At about 5 to 12 at night my uncle Frank came over the road and knocked on the door .He said check this out.Kev Darby from Stubshy had had his stag do in Ashton and about 25 of the maddest buggers you could meet were a...
Views: 254   Replies: 12
Last Post: Sep 27, 2007 10:34am
by Phil
j
julian
Unusual visitor
this evening i had i just taken my stair lift upto bed and got comfortable in bed. When my wife walked in with a tuppaware container (yes my 1st thought was it cant be sago) i was right it wasnt. My wife noticed the doggin sniffing around the door into the kitchen,so...
Views: 268   Replies: 6
Last Post: Sep 25, 2007 11:27pm
by Vic
j
Julian
SAGO (FINALLY)
Well ladies and gentlemen i write with regret in my heart i contacted Ambrosia via email yesterday i have just had a reply the reply is exactly as it came via email "Thank you for your recent email. We are very sorry to inform you that we no longer produce t...
Views: 173   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 24, 2007 8:23pm
by Alan
j
julian
gutted
After being told i can definately get sago on a expats website i typed in the URL with hope in my heart & sure enough i found sago online. My heart skipped a beat or 2 (yes i know i have a heart condition that does that) but this was a special missed beat. I was r...
Views: 220   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 23, 2007 11:50am
by Alan
j
julian
Millionaire 'Compelled' To Help McCanns
The same gentleman that wants to Build The Sapphire Expansion on the south lancs industrial estate. http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91210-1285343,00.html
Views: 172   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 23, 2007 8:54am
by julian
a
Alan
world crisis
Tens of thousands queue to get their money out of Northern Rock, more about the McCaan story, fires and shooting ad nauseum, the world is in moral decline. Just a snippet from the news to hit the airwaves and press. Yet the most important story goes unrepo...
Views: 296   Replies: 18
Last Post: Sep 23, 2007 1:31am
by virginia van eng...
At last, a member of society.
It took longer than paying my poll tax but finally I have succumbed to being the owner of a mobile phone. I procured the strange device by means of an exchange involving creamed puddings. I cant wait to spend hours texting people whilst ignoring those that are aroun...
Views: 203   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 22, 2007 7:22pm
by Alan
Garden birds
After the usual dearth of birds in the garden at this time of year, today is suddenly busy. So far I've seen blue tits, a coal tit, greenfinch, blackbirds, wren, robin and magpies. There's a queue at the birdbath, but not much interest at the bird feeders. - David -
Views: 295   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 22, 2007 11:02am
by David M
c
Cunny
Ashtonians
Ashtonians AFC are a local open age amateur Football club who play in the Lancashire Amateur League. Ashtonians are always on the look out for new players and so if anyone is interested in playing amatuer football come along to the training sessions, which are held...
Views: 223   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 22, 2007 1:36am
by peter
Christopher Maclure
Sad to hear of the death of an Ashton lad serving his local community. PCSO Christopher was only 21 when killed last week in an RTA, and was buried today. A young life cut short tragically. - David -
Views: 173   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 21, 2007 11:44pm
by Vic
j
julian
what shall i do??
Im not sure if i want to go for a pint (J2o) tonight round Ashton, Any1 else going?
Views: 194   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 21, 2007 6:07pm
by julian
w
Will
Edge Green News
Anyone rememeber the shop that used to be on Edge Green Lane near what used to be the Angel pub? I want to get intouch with the young girl who used to work there at weekends. If anyone knows her can they tell her about this? Thanks, Nice forum by the way!
Views: 189   Replies: 5
Last Post: Sep 18, 2007 11:21am
by julian
a
Alan
my little stick of Blackpool rock
Hi I read that at long last, Wigan is to give recognition to George Formby. The council is quoted as saying, the image George Forby portrayed was one that Wigan was trying to lose. What do you posters think? I recently parked my car in a carpark in Ludlow, at 1...
Views: 322   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 17, 2007 5:36pm
by Adele
i
Ian
Road through flashes
It seem that the planning commitee have passed the plans for the new road passsing through the flashes. It means a significant increase to the amount of traffic comming into Wigan. One council officer said that the air air quality would get worse but there are als...
Views: 237   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 15, 2007 5:44pm
by Alan
j
julian
9-11
Just a brief note to say "thoughts with the families of the 9-11 victims"
Views: 198   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 11, 2007 5:31pm
by julian
TV Documentary
Are you a fun, outgoing family who loves life? Could others learn from the way you live your life? Do you think you’ve got it made or want to try something different? A channel 4 documentary series would love to hear from you. CALL Kerry FOR MOR...
Views: 231   Replies: 5
Last Post: Sep 11, 2007 1:54pm
by Alan
i
Ian
Race Track
That bloomin race track is in the wrong place! A full weekend of accelerating motor bikes. There must be thousands round Ashton who are fed up with it.
Views: 246   Replies: 13
Last Post: Sep 9, 2007 11:21pm
by Vic
j
julian
Madeleine McCann
I see the parents have flown home today does any1 else think its odd? with them coming home now they have been named as "arguidas". What is the local opinon of this terrible case?
Views: 235   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 9, 2007 10:38pm
by Vic
From the Dallas Morning News...
Bible's passage complete GI's Good Book, given to, cherished by British family, returned to widow 12:00 AM CDT on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 By MICHAEL E. YOUNG / The Dallas Morning News myoung@dallasnews.com It arrived a few days before Father's Day, a...
Views: 188   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 4, 2007 4:53pm
by Gareth Hughes
s
sue
old ashton baths
I've just been looking at the snapshots on your website and I noticed a picture of the old ashton baths, can anyone tell me where they were, I only moved to ashton in 1983.
Views: 317   Replies: 9
Last Post: Sep 4, 2007 4:42pm
by Gareth Hughes
j
julian
Justice
2 days short of 3 months since my accident the police have just phoned me regarding my accident. They are putting this girl on a driver awareness course because the accident was a minor error of judgement which she admits. So now because of her MINOR ERROR i av t...
Views: 239   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 3, 2007 3:18pm
by Alan
c
CD
Fireworks
Has someone decided dogs and cats need terrifying every weekend now? For the past 4 weekends we have had fireworks in the Ashton Heath area - anyone know why??
Views: 291   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 2, 2007 11:51am
by Alan
j
Julian
Oh look more anagrams
here we go lets see if you can get these 5 pretty easy to be honest but im only ½ bored. (1) Dad Earns Awl (local person) (2) Codger View On (another local person) (3) Barn Did Vow (yet another local person) (4) Brain Won (yet another another local person...
Views: 471   Replies: 41
Last Post: Sep 1, 2007 8:40pm
by Section 8
j
julian
cub scouts
does any1 know of a contact number for ashton Boy scouts my 7 yr old wants to join
Views: 217   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 30, 2007 2:50pm
by David M
Free Self-Defence course
Hi due to the recent escalation of violence and stabbings I am running a free four week self-defence course for 16 years and above at St Andrews Mission Hall Garswood starting on Tuesday the 2nd of October. If this is something you've always fancied doing then this i...
Views: 230   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 29, 2007 11:42pm
by Tony Bewley
j
julian
Does Electricity and alcohol Mix?
After an evening BAT detecting in my back garden wwith the Brown Clowns Sorry CLAN we heard and recorded several bats over an hour long period. Then for some strange reason i brought out my TENS machine which provides pain relief via electrical stimulation. 1 of t...
Views: 187   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 27, 2007 11:16pm
by Vic
Grasshoppers
I saw a grasshopper in the garden today. Never seen one before in these parts. Anyone else seen one?
Views: 220   Replies: 8
Last Post: Aug 27, 2007 12:09am
by David M
j
julian
another anagram
See if any1 can get this ;-) as best as i could get A Ambassador Mice Ogre
Views: 195   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 25, 2007 2:13pm
by julian
j
julian
Pudding
Does any1 know where i can get tinned Ambrosia Creamed Sago from Ive tried everywhere it seems to have vanished off supermarket shelves. ANY1 HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Views: 374   Replies: 26
Last Post: Aug 25, 2007 12:19am
by David M
YouTube
What a great facility. Listening to Bessie Smith, Sandy Denny, Johnny Cash, Alberta Hunter, Mahalia Jackson and others tonight. Couldn't have done this before the internet. - David -
Views: 290   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 23, 2007 2:23pm
by Andrede
a
Alan
Good Job Done?
What do other people think about the cleansing department of WMBC. Quite often they get a bad press. My own dealings with it are the reverse. A few examples, last year a lorry shed a load of rubbish on Bryn Road, I phoned up and within the hour they had cleared ALL...
Views: 247   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 20, 2007 10:44am
by Sue
a
Alan
Brave or stupid?
Hi I thought I would be controversial for a change!! Is anyone else fed up of the new football season before it starts? Alan
Views: 226   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 17, 2007 6:19pm
by Alan
LPs and CDs
Does anyone locally convert LPs to CDs? I know I can buy kit to do it, but I only have a few LPs that I would like on CD, and it doesn't really justify the expense. Better to pay someone who has the kit set up. - David -
Views: 262   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 10, 2007 1:20am
by David M
j
julian
operation
well another day waiting and hoping that its done today.
Views: 235   Replies: 7
Last Post: Aug 8, 2007 10:51pm
by julian
p
Phil
Ashton textile factories
Hello, I know that Record Mill (spinning) was down Princess Road, in York Road Sth I think, and later became a Cromptons factory. And old maps show 'The Steam Engine' behind the old police station off Old Road, as a cotton mill. But where exactly was the 'Weaving...
Views: 363   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 7, 2007 10:01pm
by David M
n
Neil
How good is Ashton
I have just come across this site. I hope more people come to use it. Ashton is a brilliant place especially the night life. Alot better than Wigan. We just need a few more pubs and kick the drugs out of the town.
Views: 256   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 7, 2007 6:43pm
by Anon
j
julian
bored
just a quicky im in and waiting for my operation oh joy of joys
Views: 329   Replies: 14
Last Post: Aug 6, 2007 12:08am
by David M
The Lump
I lived in Bolton Rd Bryn Gates (this was not classed as Bamfurlong,that began at Lily lane as far as we were concerned) from 1951 - 1969.In the days of trolley buses, it was common for the conductor to call "lump" when he approached Maines Lane bus stop, not the sto...
Views: 225   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 4, 2007 11:20pm
by Jeanette
Beat it Team
During the week beginning the 16th July Wigan Council's Beat it Team will be in Ashton to clean up grot spots. So if you know of any area that needs cleaning up please contact me by e-mail - N.Ash@wiganmbc.gov.uk or phone 736216 or just post it on this site.
Views: 288   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 2, 2007 11:33pm
by DM
18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Free Forum powered by Bravenet