Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ashton Heath

I wish that the ignorant person or persons who frequently undo the conservation work in the wood at Ashton Heath would stop this irritating vandalism.

The fallen trees and branches lining the paths in the wood are put there for several reasons:

1. They indicate to people to keep to paths, and not trample down the flowers and young trees that have been planted.

2. They encourage insects and provide a habitat for birds and small rodents.

3, They give some safety to squirrels, rabbits and birds from being chased by dogs.

Just a little thought on protecting the woodland is needed, instead of this urge to undo the work of volunteers.

- David -

Re: Ashton Heath

DM
While I agree that vandalism should never be condoned, I would like to make a few points of my own.
1. Ashton Heath is common land. I know this is disputed by some, but back in the 70's the council applied for building permission and were rejected.
2. I have lived on Ashton Heath (the road, not the heath!) for all of my 43 years. You talk about walking on flowers. What flowers? And where has all the beautiful heather gone? also where have all the heaths characteristic little mouns gone?
3. The safety of squirrels is hardly anything to keep me awake at night as they are non-indigenous rodents that have more or less wiped out the red.
4. There have always been a miriad of paths on the heath, but they were natural pathways, not the ugly paths that now exist. I for one will continue to walk the paths where they used to be.
5. The trees were never on the heath. There were oaks and sycamores by the old railway line but not on the heath. Gone is the view of the racecourse clock. The trees provide a haven for underage drinkers and druggies. I've found about a dozen syringes in your 'wood'.
6. What have the conservationists conserved? Certainly not what the heath was. There's even a tree planted slap bang in the middle of what was a football field and playground. Now the kids play football at the top of York Road, a busy road.
Finally, Ashton Heath is NOT woodland. It's a blummin' HEATH!!!!
Regards, Imp.

Town: Ashton

Re: Ashton Heath

>>1. Ashton Heath is common land. I know this is disputed by some,

It is common land.

>>2. I have lived on Ashton Heath (the road, not the heath!) for all of my 43 years. You talk about walking on flowers. What flowers? And where has all the beautiful heather gone? also where have all the heaths characteristic little mouns gone?

Flowers: tormentil; heath bedstraw (not much left now due to lack of management); heather, but again due to lack of management it is mostly old and woody; several types of heathland grasses.

Planting in 1998 has given a couple of patches of new heather growth, and efforts were made last year to reseed a large area with heather, but unfortunately this has been unsuccessful. Further attempts may be made in future, finance permitting. Mounds: untouched by any of the conservation work, unless you mean the mounds left by people digging for bottles.

>>3. The safety of squirrels is hardly anything to keep me awake at night as they are non-indigenous rodents that have more or less wiped out the red.

No red squirrels were ever in the woodland, and walkers enjoy seeing the greys, and the rabbits.

>>4. There have always been a miriad of paths on the heath, but they were natural pathways, not the ugly paths that now exist. I for one will continue to walk the paths where they used to be.

The pathways are designed to encourage people not to trample the heathland, as the physical pressure and dog fouling is gradually destroying it.

While you may prefer 'natural' pathways, the surfaced paths follow the lines of the main ones, and are appreciated by mothers with prams and disabled people who are better able to enjoy the heath.

>>5. The trees were never on the heath. There were oaks and sycamores by the old railway line but not on the heath. Gone is the view of the racecourse clock. The trees provide a haven for underage drinkers and druggies. I've found about a dozen syringes in your 'wood'.

The trees were planted in the eighties and, whether you or I approve of them, they cannot be easily removed. As a woodland, they need to be managed, and the continual repairing of vandalism and removal of litter tries to ensure that walkers have a pleasant environment.

Over one thousand hours have been invested by the volunteers on the heath without any evidence of syringes being found. Plenty of drink cans and other rubbish, but these are regularly removed.

>>6. What have the conservationists conserved? Certainly not what the heath was. There's even a tree planted slap bang in the middle of what was a football field and playground. Now the kids play football at the top of York Road, a busy road.
Finally, Ashton Heath is NOT woodland. It's a blummin' HEATH!!!!

I'm sorry that you don't appreciate the work of the volunteers, and find it hard to believe that you would prefer an overgrown and litter-strewn space to the present heath, which is complimented on by most people I speak to. The tree you refer to was not planted, but is one of the trees that has grown from seed. Without the efforts of the volunteers to remove seedlings the remaining heathland would gradually become woodland. Also, people commented at the beginning of the project that they preferred isolated trees as a feature on the heathland.

Details of progress with the work on the heath can be found at www.ashtonheath.org.uk, and the internet contains a number of sites explaining the natural succession of heathland and the work needed to maintain it.

- David -

Town: Ashton