​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
21 days.
By this time in 21 days, hopefully ALL starters will be camped, fed and watered after a truly awesome first day. Namaste.
Views: 278   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 19, 2013 7:55pm
by Goddess.
EVAP Wet Electronics Rescue Pouch
I came across this piece of kit just now which could be of interest to Challengers. It's a pouch with drying agents designed to dry out phones or other small electronics devices. Could be just the thing after an unfortunate river crossing or a session in The Fife....
Views: 373   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 12, 2013 3:56pm
by Humphrey Weightm...
Admin forms
Morning all, Have been collating the info provided on the admin forms and it transpires that a few folk haven['t submitted theirs yet. Will email them individually when I get home but, if you suspect you might be among that number, please check and send (resend...
Views: 357   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 2, 2013 10:19am
by John Manning
j
John J
2 man (person?) 1.5kg tent: £14.99
Here http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=1056 Not sure how well it would cope with the highlands of Scotchlandshire....but for less than £15 it's got to be worth a look!
Views: 355   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 1, 2013 12:50pm
by John J
Challenge Re-Union : Looking ahead
With only 7 weeks to go til those lucky 300 head off from west coast, don't forget to look further ahead. The TGO Challenge Scottish Re-Union is being held this year in Crianlarich over weekend of 19/20 October, based at the Crianlarich Hotel. It's an excellent cha...
Views: 353   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 20, 2013 5:59pm
by Issy & Les Silko...
p
peter
Trailstar inner
hi ive got an unused Bearpaw designs inner two parts so floor only or full nest,bought off a bloke off outdoor magic,who ended up with two after xmas day !!! he never pitched it ive pitched it 3-4 times in garden but it works best pitched at 40" which ive found to be...
Views: 388   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 15, 2013 2:24pm
by peter
Bridge near Baileguish
The Scotways Spring 2013 Newsletter advises that Highland Council have posted notices that the bridge near Baileguish over the Allt Chromaig, NN 824 983 has been closed. This is a favourite Challenge route from Tromie Bridge to the Feshie. There is some undermining o...
Views: 361   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 11, 2013 11:08am
by john donohoe
Route revisions
Hi all, The vetting process is drawing gradually to a close and most routes have now been through the process. A number of requested route revisions are outstanding. While we haven't put a formal deadline on these it would be great to gather them in as soon as...
Views: 410   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 8, 2013 2:29pm
by John Manning
b
Badger
East Coast Train Tickets
Cheap East Coast train tickets are now available for Saturday May 25th. Sample fares Montrose to Kings Cross 08:32 Departure -Economy £43.10 First £67.35 10:32 Departure - Economy £18.00 First £50.75 If you can get a group together of...
Views: 322   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 8, 2013 10:49am
by Badger
Thursday night sleeper
For people catching the sleeper from Euston on Thursday 9th, how about meeting up in the Bree Louise beforehand? Barney and I will be there from about 9:30pm. Cheers, Jaya John
Views: 345   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 1, 2013 11:02pm
by Jaya John
Views: 338   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 1, 2013 11:50am
by DickieF
t
Theo
Only 5 days !
to submit your route but I think those who haven't done that by now aren't reading the Message Board. Those on the standby list will be very gratefull
Views: 349   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 23, 2013 7:30am
by Theo
Newsletter & Scottish Reunion
Evening all, Copies of the newsletter have been sent to almost 400 folk who applied for this year's TGO CHallenge – they've gone to all solo Challengers and to leaders of groups, with sufficient copies for one per household. With them are Rab fleece order...
Views: 363   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 19, 2013 7:26pm
by John Manning
Power line work
Inevitable that many Challengers will encounter construction work along the Beauly/Denny line this May. Info here: http://www.sse.com/BeaulyDenny/ProjectInformation/ Stay safe.
Views: 387   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 18, 2013 1:49pm
by John Manning
Admin forms
Afternoon all, Just a reminder, if you've not sent in your admin forms already please be sure to do so soon – we'll need your sock sizes at the month-end so we can get the bulk order in!
Views: 376   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 16, 2013 2:19pm
by John Manning
g
Gary D
Takeaway food at Allargue Arms, Clock Bridge (and Faindouran missing a wall)
(Except it's not "Clock" of course!) Thought this might be of interest to anyone passing **** Bridge way: just stopped at Allargue Arms after a few days wander in the hills and they said they have a vacuum packing machine and can do food to take away with it if yo...
Views: 403   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 11, 2013 7:45am
by Gary D
13 Weeks
13 weeks today... Just saying...
Views: 285   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 8, 2013 8:40pm
by alan.sloman
Comfort NOT Obsession - Gear choice?
I read David's excellent blog on his thinking around his first Challenge - ie Some thoughts from a "first timer" that Alan refers to. At the risk of eggs for the sucking of - here is my two pence worth of comment for those folk who are trying to decide what gea...
Views: 379   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 8, 2013 3:05pm
by Gordon Green
Loch Arkaig
I dont know to what extent this will affect walkers but it is worth noting that the bridge and road work at Loch Arkaig is expected to last into May now. http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=67801
Views: 370   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 7, 2013 4:35pm
by nickyrannoch
Paging Lou & Phylllis!
Hi Lou & Phyllis, Received your email this weekend and your route well before that; unfortunately my replies aren't getting through to your email address. Your route has been received and vetted, and your vetting comments will be on their way back to you via sn...
Views: 399   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 28, 2013 10:27am
by John Manning
Route revisions
If you've been asked to revise a route sheet please could you get the revision to us as soon as possible? We're now into the peak vetting season and the team will have a lot of new routes to advise and comment on in the next few weeks. Being able to ensure the rev...
Views: 356   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 25, 2013 7:36am
by John Manning
w
Willem
Sale INOV8 Terroc 330
May be of interest. INOV8 Terroc 330 for £ 49,99 http://www.ultimateoutdoors.co.uk/item/Brand_Inov8Terroc330TrailShoe_0_0_34186_1.html
Views: 248   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 24, 2013 4:02pm
by Willem
SPRING GATHERING 8th - 10th March
Just a reminder that if you are thinking of coming to the Spring Gathering at the Snake Inn on the 8th - 10th March that I have only reserved rooms at the Inn until the 31st January. At the moment there are still some rooms available. There is no problem at prese...
Views: 365   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 2, 2013 9:38pm
by Alan Hardy
Petition to Alex Salmond against wind farms
Maybe a wee bit off topic but I hope you'll be tolerant as it does affect us all. There is a petition to Alex Salmond against wind farms - if you feel like I do about these, please sign. http://www.change.org/petitions/first-minister-alex-salmond-stop-the-rec...
Views: 324   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 2, 2013 4:56pm
by Ian Sommerville
WAITING LIST
My sympathies to the 2 people that have dropped out already but they have enabled Ian and me (one and two on the waiting list!!) to get on TGOC13, a wonderful Christmas surprise for us both. So the reshuffle has started folks!! I look forward to seeing the Final Lis...
Views: 396   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 24, 2012 7:24pm
by Jenny Headscarf
Loch Ness Ferry details, 2013
TGOC Loch Ness Ferry We’re very grateful to Gordon Menzies who will again be providing a Challenge-specific ferry service across Loch Ness, from Temple Pier, Drumnadrochit, during the 2013 TGOC. This service is always very popular and we recommend that you b...
Views: 1574   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 13, 2012 12:50pm
by John Manning
Comcast email users...
Comcast's super-efficient spam filter is blocking TGOC circulars. This seems to apply particularly to our friends in the US. please add the tgoc@* and John@* email addresses to your address books in the hope of getting around the problem. *outdoorsmanning.co...
Views: 352   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 6, 2012 12:03pm
by John Manning
t
terry
tgo magazines,
hi,Home needed for over a hundred tgo magazines some dating back to the early 80s90s and 2000s free!! I've been sorting out a few things and don't need them any more,so if you are interested just come and collect them,
Views: 381   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 2, 2012 9:22pm
by terry
Payments, home & abroad
Heads-up, Those who sent cheques to cover entry fees, these will be banked in the next week. Apologies for the delay. One of our overseas guests has made electronic payment (for a solo Challenger) which lacked identifying marks, so we don't know who! Could you...
Views: 327   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 30, 2012 2:07pm
by John Manning
My Blog
I've just updated www.meip.co.uk with my 2012 walks. These are all English 2000ft mountains (under the 'English 2000s' button). The 47 new summits bagged are described under the 2012 header (towards the end of the page). Thanks for looking and I hope to complete t...
Views: 390   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 27, 2012 7:52pm
by Steve Smith
Updated my Spot tracker
To one of these: Delorme InReach Advantage over the spot: 2 way communications. This means that not only do you KNOW when an outgoing message or track point has been successfully sent (the Spot sends blind - it does not know if the message got out), but you are al...
Views: 266   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 23, 2012 5:28am
by AussieMike
Torridon transport
SYHA Torridon manager Mat has been in touch to update/correct Torridon travel info on the Event Details: There are no buses from Achnasheen to Torridon anymore, but there is a daily service (m-s) from Strathcarron. The bus meets the early afternoon train from Inve...
Views: 407   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 22, 2012 10:19pm
by John Manning
Route & admin submissions
When submitting your route forms and admin forms, can folks please include their FULL name in the body of their email (eg, "Love & kisses, Freddie Kruger"). Saves me a bit of time, that's all! Many thanks, J
Views: 370   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 21, 2012 11:33am
by John Manning
mister postman
the envelope was in my mailbox this morning at 10.00 oclock many thanks to the royal mail and the belgian post service...
Views: 391   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 12, 2012 11:32am
by marc.kevers
The Cairngorms in Winter
Chris Townsend has joined forces with Terry Abraham on a Kickstarter project to film "The Cairngorms in Winter". You can find out more about the project by clicking on this link: The Cairngorms in Winter
Views: 359   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 4, 2012 1:12am
by alan.sloman
Hurricane
This hurricane now hitting our East Coast and Bowie reminds us of the 2012 Challenge- relentless rain and gale force winds. We are hunkered down studying our OS maps. So far we still have power. Thank you Stuart and Maria, for thinking of us.
Views: 269   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 29, 2012 11:00pm
by Phyllis and Lou
Pot boiler (not cooking wise)
Whilst you are all waiting . re Daily Telegraph friday oct 19 page 5 , headlined , "A MUD BATH MUSIC FESTIVAL MAY BE GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH" . paragraph 2 ." Being part of a crowd, even if the experience is less than pleasant, enhances your sense of well being and is...
Views: 311   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 22, 2012 9:29pm
by bill howden
50% reduction on Brasher Kiso Boots!!!
Anyone about to purchase lightweight waterproof boots may be interested in the following offer at the Go-Outdoors chain of stores: Brasher Kiso GTX lightweight boots - £60.00 (RRP = £120). Discount card required offer ends 28/10/12. Got mine!!!...
Views: 270   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 22, 2012 9:20pm
by David Godfrey
LAST MINUTE REMINDER
Don't forget folks, closing date for 2013 TGO Challenge is THIS SATURDAY. If you haven't posted it yet, then tomorrow morning is your last chance, and we'd hate you to miss out. Good luck!
Views: 352   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 11, 2012 2:51pm
by John Manning
General Banter
Post here the musings, chit-chat and otherwise drunken ramblings of stuff not entirely to do with the challenge.
Views: 249   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 10, 2012 11:45am
by Scroggy
Challenge route
Challenge season appears to be well under way. I have checked my first route for next year. A splendid effort indeed, clear, easy to follow with plenty of relevant detail and a few new ways between popular Challenge hot spots. If it were still around it would be a ch...
Views: 314   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 8, 2012 5:17pm
by Mr. Grumpyy
2013 planning advice
Application forms have started to arrive and I know some folk have already planned routes, such is their enthusiasm and anticipation! Once the draw for places has been made in late October/early November, successful applicants will receive a document containing de...
Views: 519   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 12, 2012 11:32am
by Deputy Dawg
2012 Final Report
Folks, the 2012 Final Report is at last available for download from the TGO/TGOC/Resources page at http://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/tgochallenge/about-the-challenge/resources/ Direct download here (opens in a new window): http://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/tgochal...
Views: 487   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 4, 2012 6:18pm
by Deputy Dawg
Help Needed! Outdoor Funding Cuts
I need your help. I'm currently researching the extent of funding cuts on outdoor activity, particularly the kind that helps young people access the outdoors for the first time or that which helps older people regain their health. More details are in the linked ar...
Views: 358   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 22, 2012 5:04pm
by Andy Howell
New Campsite
Challengers might be interested in the opening of a new campsite at the Glencoe ski area; microlodges, motorvan hook-ups, drying room and licensed cafe. Details at www.glencoemountain.co.uk. And not too far from the Kingshouse, so it's all good!
Views: 602   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 12, 2012 3:26pm
by john donohoe
2012 Final Report
The Final Report was mailed out about ten days ago – you should have received yours by now. If you walked in a team, your team leader will have your copy. It'll be made available as a download at the resources site in the near future but if you'd like it ema...
Views: 556   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 4, 2012 1:56pm
by John Manning
TGO Challenge: Full Report - All in one.
You can now find my complete Challenge diary, including the run-up to the walk by clicking on this link: TGO Challenge 2012: Morar to St Cyrus: Home Page
Views: 544   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 30, 2012 3:34pm
by alan.sloman
Kate Wood
To all our Challenge friends who made last Wednesday a very special day ,a big and sincere thank you from me and my family. What a turnout ! Kate would have been delighted and overwhelmed at your support.So sorry I could not get around to speak to everyone. Tim
Views: 367   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 23, 2012 6:28pm
by Tim Wood
Kate
To all of our Challenge friends who have sent such wonderful comments about my dear Kate I thank you sincerely. Funeral at Ainsdale methodist Church southport at 12.15 Wednesday 20th june 2012.
Views: 432   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 11, 2012 7:42pm
by Tim Wood
TGO 2012 Lochailort to Montrose - my photos
Much to my surprise, I've managed to get my photos from Picasa to my blog. So if you Google in: Gordon's Off, there they will be.
Views: 489   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 11, 2012 9:32am
by Gordon Green
Re: very sad news
We too, would like to express our deep sadness to learn of Ann's passing. Her lovely smile was always so welcoming on arriving at Tarfside, and she certainly helped us to renew our energies to continue on our journey towards the coast. May we extend our sincere cond...
Views: 488   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 5, 2012 1:22pm
by David and Margar...
Mum's passing
I would like to say how much we have appreciated your warm and thoughtful messages/memories about mum, it has really helped dad and the family, thank you, anna
Views: 435   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 3, 2012 11:36pm
by Anna Maden
"Jeremy's Crossing"
A number of people have asked me for the words to the song which I sang at the dinner on Friday, so here they are. Those of you who were not there ought to have no difficulty figuring out the tune! Anyone interested in the story behind the song, well, I'm busily w...
Views: 531   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 2, 2012 1:05pm
by Jeremy Burrows
Ann Maden - Funeral arrangements
Further to John's earlier post, funeral arrangements have now been confirmed. It will take place at 1pm on Monday 4th June at St Anne's Church, Copp Lane, Gt Eccleston, PR3 0ZN.
Views: 362   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 1, 2012 1:55pm
by Norma Keohane
I will beg if I have to!!
Hi All Not sure if this is the done thing on this message board but hey ho!! I have signed up to run the Royal Parks Half Marathon in London on October 7th this year to raise money for the Breast Cancer Campaign. Not many of us get through our lives without being...
Views: 416   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 30, 2012 10:27am
by Jane Hilder
Congratulations.
Congratulations to all those who completed the crossing against the odds and commiseration to those who for whatever reason, had to withdraw, to do so is never an easy decision. I have been suffering from withdrawal symptoms over the last two weeks, but now the Chal...
Views: 413   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 24, 2012 2:31pm
by Patrick
Round trip to "drop off" at Fort Agustus
Hi All, Spent the day tripping to F/Ag to drop off food at campsite. They already have about 10 food boxes and NO problem re camping. Spoke to security at Glen Doe entrance and "no go" still in place, however he said that there is a new road from construction a...
Views: 469   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 8, 2012 10:37pm
by Doug Bruce
Scotrail Club 55 has returned
Scotrail have just announced the return of Club 55 for the period 14 May to 30 June 2012. Return travel is valid for up to one month from the date of outward travel. All you need to do is produce proof of age (document, not behaviour . . . ). Although it's strictl...
Views: 410   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 8, 2012 2:51pm
by Humphrey Weightm...
Lochaber update.
I’ve just spent the weekend at Blackrock Cottage, walking in Glen Orchy, Glen Etive and Glen Coe, the hills are very dry and the rivers are very low. For a these Challengers who may be passing this way I’ve posted a few photographs on my blog. http://m...
Views: 504   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 8, 2012 2:24pm
by Geoff Edwards
Track my progress on the challenge!
Of course, this only applies to those who are not on the challenge this year. If you are in that unfortunate situation then perhaps you would like to track me and other challengers as we progress across Scotland: http://www.secretmountain.co.uk/out-and-about/track...
Views: 514   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 4, 2012 3:44pm
by Bryan Waddington
1 2 3 4 5 6