​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gas

That's a brilliant idea Graham, and very kind. Is it Dornie you are starting from William, or Plockton maybe? Hopefully someone will be able to help you out (I'm starting much further south, so no can be no help to you, I'm afraid)

I'll happily bring a spare 200g threaded gas to Acharacle if that helps an international challenger.

Will arrive Wednesday afternoon for a Thursday start but could leave it somewhere for a later start.

Andy

Will be in Plockton around midday on Friday 13th (#shudders). Happy to bring a canister - just email me direct if needed. Spring is coming!

Thanks very much to everyone who has offered assistance both here and privately.

Unfortunately I am an early starter as I leave Dornie on the Tuesday 10th.

I contacted Kyle Hotel and they said that JJ Hardware store in Kyle sells the gas. I will call them and get a bottle.

I will let you know you know how I get on.

I am really looking forward to May and getting into the hills. See you there.

Thanks again
William :flag-bb:

I, too, appreciate the offers of assistance. I'm going to try to pre-purchase or ask them set aside some canisters for us. That should work. I hope.

I just called JJ Hardware in Kyle and they have a stock of the gas bottles in all sizes and makes. So it should not be a problem.

I will call them a few days before just to confirm.

William:flag-bb:

Kent and William - I'm in the same boat as you. Coming from overseas and praying for the screw top gas cannisters on arrival! This is such a helpful thread - a big THANK YOU for your advanced research.

We are arriving into Inverness a few days early so hopefully will be able to pick up some there. JJ Hardware in Kyle will be our back up plan though!

PS: William, maybe I'll run into you Tuesday in Dornie?!? My sister and I start from there on the 10th too.

After thinking about it, I've decided to pre-order our canisters at GO Outdoors (Inverness), Cairngorms Mountain Sports (Aviemore) and Braemar Mountain Sports (Braemar) so they are waiting for us when we arrive. Come to think of it we did the same thing in 2018, just to be safe. There are lots of moving pieces to a TGOC plan, especially when coming from overseas. Makes me feel better to eliminate risk when it's easy to do so.

Kent