​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Combining fishing with the TGO

Hello Grahame, Louise is correct ( hello Louise, long time no squeak!), I was the person that thought it would be a good idea to cross fly fishing as I went, It was the weather and an injury that was against me on that trip! You'll enjoy it if you do it, the only thing I would do differently is to take an Intermediate line with Poly-leaders of various densities, at that time of year there's not many fish up on the surface, especially on the hill lochs, anyway enjoy your walk when the time comes and tight lines. I may see you at some point on the crossing or at Montrose as I think I'll be doing the same route as that one back in 2013!

Hey,

I’m actually planning a different route, with a few different options.

The plan is to start at Shiel Bridge and finish at Aberdeen (though not crazy enough to try and pay to fish the Dee, despite walking the deeside way on the way home!), with stops at Fort Augustus, Aviemore and Ballater for supplies

In terms of fishing, the current plan is to fish as follows:

Day 1: Loch a’Bhealaich - it’s on NTS land and free to fish. Also on a quieter route than the usual Affric Kintail way, which will be quite good
Day 3: Loch na Beinne Baine - I’m actually struggling to find permit info, but is it’s on the border of 3 different estates, I suspect it’ll be free to fish
Day 5/6: the River Spey… £15 a day from Badenoch Angling Association, and covers from Spey Dam all the way up to Kingussie
Day 7 is a rest day, and I reckon I’ll probably have a relaxing cast at Rothiemurchus fishery
Day 8, I’m hoping to have a wee crack at Loch Avon. That’s been a bucket list fishing opportunity for a while!
Day 9: a wee cast on the Derry Burn/Lui Water - already spoken to the guys at Mar Lodge, and they’re happy for me to fish it for free (as long as it’s catch and release)
Day 11: a couple of hours at Tillich trout fishery, to the east of Ballater

It’ll be interesting as I walk down the Dee with fishing gear strapped to the pack, to see if anyone stops me to question any of it!

I’m working on the assumption that unless I’m fishing at my stopping location for the day, I’ll probably only be fishing for about an hour.

Thanks for the advice… might pack a spool with intermediate line for the hill lochs, and use floating for the rivers and fisheries

Should be good, though!

Hi Billy! 👋🤣