​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Eastwards from Morar

This video has a group that used the North side of Loch Morar option then on to Glenpean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=575ZScVYSsU

Another Morar blog - https://janetswalks.blogspot.com/2020/02/tgo-2019-morar-to-catterline-9th-may.html
I confess to being the lady who mused about an approach from Kylesmorar rather than the high spot of the track to Tarbet. For interest - having read about the problems of FWAs along the shore of the ridge - I had a completely different 2 day FWA though South Morar to Meoble, Loch Beoraid and Gleann Chaorainn. Didn't have to use it but I rather like the look of it

Hi

Nice footage.

at 4.23 the most scary part of Srón Mor and at 4.25 entering An Romasaig. Compare that to the passage of Sron a Choin at 4.32 or the passage of Lochan Leum an t-Sagairt in Glen Pean at 4.36.

Have fun and stay save

Rolf

Thanks Janet and Phil,

That's really helpful.

Based on the video and Rolf's information, I think I'd be comfortable with the north shoreline of Loch Morar. As others have said, descending from the ridge is a bit steep and dangerous, so I'll abandon that idea. The aim will be to camp at Kinlochmorar on Day 1.

Best wishes,

Rob.

Be very careful along the north shore of Loch Morar as in places there are shear drops into the loch, which is the deepest in Scotland! Rather than try to stay by the shoreline, from Tarbet Bay, stay up and back from the shore to save continual climbing and descending. If you are camping at Kinlochmorar then take care crossing the Abhainn Ceann-loch-morair as it is quite deep and in spate very dangerous.