​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Laggan Stores

Right on Judith and Mike. You've opened up what to my mind is a significant dialogue. Of course amongst some three hundred participants there are those who have specific needs - they may be coeliac, gluten-intolerant, vegan or have other requirements that they feel cannot be met wherever they choose to travel, be this in Scotland or other countries. They are absolutely right in ensuring that their needs are met, and there is a long history of locales accepting supply parcels.

Some of us choose to make an entirely self-sufficient journey, carrying all material for two weeks. And I myself took such a trip into the High Pyrenees last year, when I knew that it would be absolutely impossible to buy food for a period of ten days.

This simply is not the case in Scotland. There is no part of the country further than 15km from a road, and within the Challenge region the maximum distance between a store is no more than three days. Those of us who choose to go for remoter routes understand full well our needs, and are prepared to carry sufficient material.

This thread began with the sad notice of the imminent closure of the Laggan Stores. These enterprises are the very heart and soul of rural communities, and should be supported by all of us.

Mike brings up the uncomfortable phrase "Third world walkies". But he is right on the money, and I commend him. Route-planning predicated on mailing food parcels is, to my mind, deeply patronising and shows a scant respect for the Highland economy.

I thoroughly agree about supporting local buisneses but don't be too hard on Challenger's who send themselves parcels as not all are stuffed full of food. One of the greatest joys of the Challenge is opening my supply box to find a clean fluffy pair of socks - it's better than Christmas!

Thanks for the info
I was planning to buy food there ( if i get in of course )
Maybe the solution is to send a parcel to the hostel , stay if there are vacancies and just collect it if the hostel is full.

I hate fixed day booking .

I'm really sorry to hear this. I've made a point of stopping here as a customer a few times since the TGO to support this place, whose owners were so helpful and pleasant. I'm surprised there isn't the trade to keep it going as it has always been busy when I've been in.

Yes, Laggan Stores is closing - sadly :( However, we here at Kincraig Stores are happy to take help with the TGO Challenge as we did last year if you need us.

Can recommend Kincraig Stores - well-stocked and friendly.
Would it be possible nearer the time of the Challenge to have the store's opening times posted on this message board?

Incase I forget nearer the time, I am sure we will be back to normal trading hours by the TGO Challenge. These are 7am-6pm Monday to Friday, 8am - 6pm Saturday and 8am-1pm on Sunday. Our opening hours will always be available on our website www.kincraigstores.co.uk. I don't know if Roy Bridge is also on your route - they are closing down too :(

Yes, I would agree with that. Kincraig Stores well stocked
and helpful any time of the year.
As was Laggan of course. Cheers.