Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Skitters Wood

Dougie.

I well remember the Secondary School football pitch on Liverpool Road, I seem to remember our year being taken down there by, I think Mr Aitken to map out the ground, we had to use calculations and angles to work it out, and then mark out the pitch, it was a long walk,(or run) and when you got there, you were knackered even before the game, however, we were much fitter in those days.

Robin.

Town: Maidstone

My mum is a similar age to you Dougie and she told me all about Skitters in the 50s & 60s
She was the one who told me about the lake there with swans nest on.
If you look on WW I have uploaded a couple of old postcards of Skitters from the 1914 era and Allan Hughes has uploaded some as well. Go on WW in places it is in alphabetical order so scroll down to S and I listed them there under SKITTERS

Yes I saw your walk before it was posted on here. So I must've seen it on WW.

Had a walk through the Skitters over the weekend I don't think spring as arrived there yet,

You don't have to click the photo but if you do click full screen bottom right corner

Town: Ashton

As anyone clicked the photo yet, if so don't tell anyone what comes next make them as daft as you lol

Town: Ashton