Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Local history and Old Bryn Hall

Hi Andrede,

Send me the images and I'll let you know, this could be Photoshop CS2 v Fireworks, I know which is the best.

As for Coffin Wood and Coffin Lane you need to go back to a time before the mines came along when the residents of Bamfurlong and Stubshaw areas had to travel to the then Parish Church, Holy Trinity in what is now North Ashton to bury their dead. They carried the coffins along a lane which went over the fields from Bolton Road near to Baldwin’s Farm to Four Footed Cross (now called Bryn Cross) and then onto the Church in Ashton (now Downall Green). The lane from Bolton Road to Four Footed Cross passed through a wood where the mourners would rest and pray before continuing to the church, hence the name; Coffin Lane and Coffin Wood. Unfortunately, Coffin Wood was buried under the slag heaps that became the Three Sisters and the lane although no longer there, followed a route similar to the diagonal footpath across Viridor Wood from a point near to Baldwin’s Farm.

For readers who wonder were the name Viridor comes from it is the name of the company, which funded the woodland project, Viridor Waste Management.

Vic

Town: Bryn

Re: Local history and Old Bryn Hall

Hi your right it is crippins lane and crippins wood I know because I played in the wood as a child too as I lived on Bryn hall farm from 1963 to 1970.

Town: A-in-m

Re: Local history and Old Bryn Hall

Get lost Vic , Im not sendin you anything ever again unless you use Fireworks. he he.

Andrede