Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Local history and Old Bryn Hall

It was only recently on studying old maps that I noticed the original Old Bryn Hall, the original seat of the Gerards, was marked. Previously I had known it was in Landgate, but had presumed it had been built over.

I've been meaning to wander down Landgate Lane to see if any evidence of the hall remained. However, if you look at Google Earth (53 30 30 N, 2 38 16 W), you can see that the fields in the area in which the hall stood have been cultivated, but it seems to me that evidence of the hall is shown in the ground relief.

The present day map shows a footpath leading in this direction from Landgate Lane, though it can't be seen on Google Earth.

- David -

Re: Local history and Old Bryn Hall

I have been told over the years that there were tunnels leading from Old Bryn Hall to various other parts ( i assume its from the times when King Charles was on the run) and residing at Lord Gerards

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

It was only recently on studying old maps that I noticed the original Old Bryn Hall, the original seat of the Gerards, was marked. Previously I had known it was in Landgate, but had presumed it had been built over.

I've been meaning to wander down Landgate Lane to see if any evidence of the hall remained. However, if you look at Google Earth (53 30 30 N, 2 38 16 W), you can see that the fields in the area in which the hall stood have been cultivated, but it seems to me that evidence of the hall is shown in the ground relief.

The present day map shows a footpath leading in this direction from Landgate Lane, though it can't be seen on Google Earth.

- David -

Town: Ashton/Stubshaw Cross

Re: Re: Local history and Old Bryn Hall

I read somewhere that there is a 'scar' of land where the old hall used to be. There are a lot of legends about tunnels around the area, mostly related to the times when Catholics were persecuted for their faith.

Further down the lane, where it becomes Bryn Gates Lane, is the new Bryn Hall, although the house there now is not the original building. It is rumoured that the martyr Edmund Arrowsmith was buried there. The modern house used to be occupied by local bigwig Sid Littler, once I believe, involved with Latics.

Re: Re: Re: Local history and Old Bryn Hall

Phil. The first Brynn Hall(correct spelling) was indeed situated on the other side of the railway bridge and it was just the hand of Edmond Arrowsmith that was first taken to the Hall and then moved to St, Oswald`s after the churc was rebuilt.
Incidently, Syd Littler became a friend and business benefactor of mine in his later years up to his death, He was a kind and very modest man who would never have called himself a bigwig even tho he was a multi-millionaire. It was he who sold the Three sisters to Lancashire County Council.

Town: Stubshie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Local history and Old Bryn Hall

Ta Ray, I know about the Holy Hand, but there is also a story that Edmund Arrowsmith's body was buried at Bryn Hall, not sure if it was the old one or the newer one.
Sorry for referring to Syd Littler a 'bigwig'...it's just that his name was spoken in hushed tones whenever we passed the hall where he used to live and we had the vague idea that he was a rich and important man. I never met him personally, but I do know that he set up a charitable trust which still exists today.
Cheers,
Phil

I have some images from my fathers (my grandad) old pigeon maps showing the old moat. If anyone would like a copy they are most welcome. Just email me.

On another point, I used to play in the woods around Bryn Hall as a kid. We called it Crippins Wood but my mum reckons it was Coffin Wood . So , I overlayed an old map over a google earth image(using Fireworks which is best , Vic :P) and found that Coffin Wood no longer exists. Coffin Lane used to lead from the bottom of Baldwins Farm straight to Coffin Wood.

Again , if anyone wants the images I used , just email me.

Andrede

Town: Ashton

Re: Re: Local history and Old Bryn Hall

Hi Andrede,

Send me the images and I'll let you know, this could be Photoshop CS2 v Fireworks, I know which is the best.

As for Coffin Wood and Coffin Lane you need to go back to a time before the mines came along when the residents of Bamfurlong and Stubshaw areas had to travel to the then Parish Church, Holy Trinity in what is now North Ashton to bury their dead. They carried the coffins along a lane which went over the fields from Bolton Road near to Baldwin’s Farm to Four Footed Cross (now called Bryn Cross) and then onto the Church in Ashton (now Downall Green). The lane from Bolton Road to Four Footed Cross passed through a wood where the mourners would rest and pray before continuing to the church, hence the name; Coffin Lane and Coffin Wood. Unfortunately, Coffin Wood was buried under the slag heaps that became the Three Sisters and the lane although no longer there, followed a route similar to the diagonal footpath across Viridor Wood from a point near to Baldwin’s Farm.

For readers who wonder were the name Viridor comes from it is the name of the company, which funded the woodland project, Viridor Waste Management.

Vic

Town: Bryn

Hi your right it is crippins lane and crippins wood I know because I played in the wood as a child too as I lived on Bryn hall farm from 1963 to 1970.

Town: A-in-m

Get lost Vic , Im not sendin you anything ever again unless you use Fireworks. he he.

Andrede