Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Illegal motorcycling

Hi
Last summer I went with a dog walking on the land between the M6 and Garswood, there was a number of "off roaders". Being open land the dog was not on a lead, when I saw a motor bike coming, I shouted for the dog and the bike came slow until he had passed us. We both waved our thanks.
Perhaps Chris you are this off roader or as equally respnsible.
However, many people have equally had bad experiences with off roaders.
As for a track, I think NYMBYISM is always going to be an issue with things like this, the area is too built up to find a suitable isolated spot.
I hope Chris I have been balanced in my posting,there is one other point, would the unruly ones use a track if there was one and they had to show they were insured, their bike was suitable for use and they had to pay?
Alan

Town: Bryn Road Car & Lorry Park

Re: Illegal motorcycling

Hi Alan -

I agree with your point about responsible use of an off-road facility. And even if there was a licensed track locally, how would the bikers get there? The responsible ones would make arrangements, but I suspect the majority would be using local roads, back alleys and footpaths for their motor bikes and quad bikes to go there.

Coincidentally I had a leaflet dropped through my door today advertising off-road and quad bikes, so it looks like the problem is going to get worse before it gets better.

- David -