Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Illegal motorcycling

Why are the local police so reluctant to tackle the youths driving unlicensed motorcycles and quad bikes on our roads and green spaces?

According to the press, this is a high-profile area for Greater Manchester police, but it doesn't appear to attract concern from the local police. For example, a family in Blenheim Road appear to allow their children to drive various machines along Ashton Heath, Mill Street, and behind Peter Street, sometimes with a child as pillion passenger with no helmet. I know this has been reported repeatedly, but the children seem to believe they can continue their behaviour with impunity. What does it take for the police to take action?

- David -

Re: Illegal motorcycling

it will take a dead or at least seriously injured child for them to take action. here in the usa it took 7 children dead in one summer for a handful of states to pass laws about kids riding without adult supervision and no helmet. now the only way a child can ride a 4wheeler or bike alone is on their own property.

Town: HARRISON ARKANSAS

Re: Re: Illegal motorcycling

Hi Susan - Thanks for your response. The problem is that, although it is illegal to ride an unlicensed motorcycle or quad bike on public roads and spaces, the local police seem to give low priority to it.

As you say, it will probably take for someone to be killed before they get round to enforcing the law. In the meantime the rest of the community has to put up with the noise, nuisance and danger posed by these children with irresponsible parents.

- David -

Hi Dave
I have found the best way is to be seen taking a photograph of them. I suppose I am taking a risk but it is a matter of standing up and been counted, so to speak.
Another time I phoned the police and was messed about I then said if they didn't put me through to Bamfulong I was going to terminate the call and dial 999. Surprise I was told I was being put through. unfortunely I waited two minutes then the line went dead. By this time I was determined to get the boys in blue to act so I drove to Bamfulong and told them. I also said although I had no intention of doing so, certain people were talking about taking the law into their own hands.
Police camera action, within ten minutes the police arrived. It must have been easier for them than attending a disturbance.
Alan

Town: Bryn Road Car & Lorry Park

Yes, I've taken photos in the past, though again the police don't seem interested when I've told them.

I thought in this day and age that there would be some way of reporting crime on the internet, and was pleased to see a page on the GMP website. Lo and behold, when I used it to report a burglary, I had a call from Merseyside police to explain I wasn't in their area! It seems the reports on the Manchester website get routed through to Merseyside. That's one way of cutting down the work!

Seriously, though - why can't the police have an email address for reporting minor crime? The telephone numbers they give out just seem to lead to delay and confusion. The reporting system is so frustrating that it does nothing for community relations.

- David -

Hi Dave

As you know I'm a big sympathiser for people who suffer because of these nuisance bikers. That family of idiots from Blenheim Road need their come uppance - it's long overdue.

On the point of police attitudes, since moving from Ashton Heath to South Manchester, I've had to report a number of people for bike-related crime. Each time I found a differing response from the police. One member of the police told me I was wasting my time as they don't have the resources to chase the offenders. On the latest occasion though I had a follow up call from the police sergeant and the persistent biking activities of a group of youths were quickly nipped in the bud. I think it depends on which side of bed the police get out of.

With regard to reporting crime via the internet, I made exactly this point to GMP just before your posting (great minds think alike, eh ?!). I pointed to the fact that YouTube has a wealth of evidence for cracking down on all sorts of anti-social behaviour. Police forces across the world are getting wise to this and using YouTube (there are countless stories to be found via Google News). However if you go on the GMP site, the only electronic means of communicating is a feedback form which is not supposed to be used for reporting crimes. I had to use this to tell them to get their act together as the public can't read out YouTube URL's via 0161 872 5050 !!

Russell

Town: South Manchester

Why not contact your local councillors?
Thats what they are there for?

N.Ash@wigan.gov.uk
P.Tushingham@wiganmbc.gov.uk
W.Carney@wigan.gov.uk

Andrede

Town: Stubshaw Cross

Because the local councillors do not control the police. They might make representations to them, but this has been done in the past without resolving the basic problem of how to make the police respond to public concerns. I see from tonight's press that there is a suggestion that the police need to be re-organised to respond better to the needs of the public. I thought that the introduction of community support officers would help, but in this case they seem to be as indifferent to the problem as the police are.

- David -

Re: Re: Re: Illegal motorcycling

Here's a way to get the police off their arses and into action. some one take video of these biker louts and send it to the TV station in Manchester with a letter about the constant problem and how the council and police do nothing to make the neighbourhood safe. one of the stations has to have a public opinion spot. check it out.

Town: HARRISON ARKANSAS

Hi
Most likely one of many cases of selective policing-
Two community support officers knock on someones door to inform him his tax disk has fallen onto his dashboard and he failing to display.
Two weeks later the same car is stolen no-one from the police turns up.
Alan

Hi
A few years ago a labour councillor in a neighbouring ward told me of an idea I thought would be most helpful , local groups would select/elect someone to attend meetings where elected and non elected officials from the council plus police and area health officials would attend.
Now when someone had a concern they would tell the person on the group about it and that concern would reach the people who could resolve it.
Sounded brilliant, and would have resolved matters like this, why didn’t it happen? It did, but sadly it took a life of its own on, cost a small fortune and achieved very little.
I can’t remember the name ...........can anyone help?
Alan

As an offroad biker myself, if there was a local track we wouldn't have this problem. But as you know there isn't. There was plans for a farmer in Stubbshaw to use his land to make one but lo and hold the locals refused to it, so it's a catch 22 situation, people complain about them riding on green areas but when there is a propasal to have a licenced track the complain about that.

Town: Ashton

Hi
Last summer I went with a dog walking on the land between the M6 and Garswood, there was a number of "off roaders". Being open land the dog was not on a lead, when I saw a motor bike coming, I shouted for the dog and the bike came slow until he had passed us. We both waved our thanks.
Perhaps Chris you are this off roader or as equally respnsible.
However, many people have equally had bad experiences with off roaders.
As for a track, I think NYMBYISM is always going to be an issue with things like this, the area is too built up to find a suitable isolated spot.
I hope Chris I have been balanced in my posting,there is one other point, would the unruly ones use a track if there was one and they had to show they were insured, their bike was suitable for use and they had to pay?
Alan

Hi Alan -

I agree with your point about responsible use of an off-road facility. And even if there was a licensed track locally, how would the bikers get there? The responsible ones would make arrangements, but I suspect the majority would be using local roads, back alleys and footpaths for their motor bikes and quad bikes to go there.

Coincidentally I had a leaflet dropped through my door today advertising off-road and quad bikes, so it looks like the problem is going to get worse before it gets better.

- David -