Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Three Sisters

If Im not mistaken I think there used to be a golf course of some kind over in that area.
A family Pitch and Putt area would be great.

I like to walk around the lake area and the bird sanctuary , until I find my self shouting to my family just to be heard over the noise of the bikes.

Do they make ear-muffs for ducks?? (rings patent office)

Andrede

Town: butz65@blueyonder.co.uk

Re: Re: Three Sisters

There was a golf course on the site at one time. It was known as the 'Golf Links', although not strictly correct usage of that term. It closed in the early 60s when the area was earmarked for redevelopment, and the golf club eventually moved to the former New Garswood Hall grounds, near Ashton Cross. The spongy turf of the original Bryn Road course was still in evidence until the modern Three Sisters development started.

Re: Re: Three Sisters

you r cool man this is really a good message man.

you must be da best writer in britain.

Town: atjl@hotmail.com

Re: Three Sisters Footpath to Canal

The footpath you mention does go from Landgate Lane to the canal. If you go from the railway bridge, towards Landgate, it is about about 100 yards or so on the right.

Ian

Town: ebnw32487@blueyonder.co.uk

Re: Three Sisters Footpath to Canal

Hi Ian -

The footpath discussed at the meeting isn't the one north of the railway bridge. It is one running from Landgate Lane about 100 metres SOUTH of the exit from Three Sisters, east towards the canal. Near to the exit on the bridle path, there is a footpath which veers to the right following Park Brook, which comes out at Bryn Hall Farm. I understand that the footpath referred to is a continuation of this, running by the side of a house by Park Brook Bridge, and gives a more direct route to the canal than the one you're referring to.

- David -