Return to Website

The Mike Love Fan Club

Welcome to The Mike Love Fan Club Message Board! The Mike Love Fan Club reserves the right to delete offensive posts.

The Mike Love Fan Club
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
July 15th Ravinia Concert

I saw the Beach Boys last night at Ravinia, north of Chicago. The place was just jammed again with people (pretty cool for a Monday night and almost 50 years long in the business). John Statmos came out and introduced the band. They opened with California Girls (I prefer this. They actually didn't last year, which was only the 2nd time I have seen them that they didn't open with C.G.)The crowd went nuts! My daughters, fans of Uncle Jesse on Full House and "Forever," loved having him play at the concert. He is a true showman. I have only seen John at one other concert that I attended in 1993.

The set list was not as good as last year. They picked a lot of earlier songs that didn't really showcase the band's talent as I have seen at previous concerts. To be fair, they played a lot of the hits. But, given their body of work, I would have preferred last year's set list. One example, they played Good Timin' last year, but not this year. They played, "Forever," though, and that was good enough for me. At the end of the song, John saluted, "The Great Dennis Wilson." If you have picked up the new version of POB, you will know what we have missed in the band the last 25 years. What is, is.

I generally don't read forums. So, many of you may already know this. However, I was surprised to see Mike Kowalski gone. He has been a cornerstone of the band and played at every concert I have been at. I thought maybe he had taken some time off due to the different configuration with John Stamos. However, I read today that he has parted ways with the Beach Boys. I am sad to see him go.

Mike said that this was the last concert with John this summer as he was off to do something related to his television/movie career.

Overall, it was another great Beach Boys concert with tons of fans. As always, I long to see the all of the guys back together again. No one will ever replace Dennis' presence and especially Carl's voice. However, I am happy they have continued to keep playing all of these years. My kids are 3rd generation Beach Boys fans. 50th anniversary tour with Al, Brian, & John, broadcast word wide? How about another concert in D.C to break their previous record? One last great album of new music? Brian clearly is not running out of steam. I would love to see him collaborate again with the group on one last great work.

What are you listening to right now? Only With You

Re: July 15th Ravinia Concert

I agree, it would be super to have a big reunion concert with some new music!!! Broadcast worldwide like Elvis did!!!

What are you listening to right now? Help me Rohnda