Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Residential $1400 day

While I've many times gone over $1400 on commercial jobs in the past (usually involving one or sometimes two helpers) I had never hit that mark on a single residential job (working alone) in the past. One day last week I got just over that bar, with a job invoice that totalled $1401.65. It consisted of about 800 s.f. of area rugs - mostly good quality orientals - and the balance was upholstery: a sectional; 2 other sofas; a loveseat; a couple of chairs; and I think 2 ottomans. About 8 hours of work. The job came via a referral from a customer whose own jobs normally had been on the small side. She had just moved to a larger house in a more prosperous town, and referred one of her new neighbors to me. Gotta love customers like that!

Re: Residential $1400 day

what are using for upholstery

Dry vac everything first. I use a Royal Dirt Devil - the one with the belt-driven roller brush. The similar model with the turbo (air-driven brush) doesn't have enough air pressure to keep the brush turning when you apply more than just a little pressure. The dry-vac process gets all of the loose dirt, pet hair, and various particulates, and along the way you'll find the areas (if any) where serious further attention will be required. Make sure you use your hands down in the crevices to pull out all the loose junk: pens, crayons, coins, etc. (pray that you don't run into their missing steak knife during this "blind" search.)

If a piece is generally soiled in many areas, after surrounding it with terrycloth pads or towels, I will lightly spray down all surface areas. Usually there will be very little need to spray the back, or the areas on the sides below the arms. Then I just clean by wiping with one of those yellow microfiber cloths - they are about one sq. ft. in total area. On areas that are firm enough, and where soil accumulation merits extra attention, I may fit one of these pads over my stair tool, holding it in place with rubber bands, and use orbital action to get the dirt out. And I'll use various stain removers pretty much as if I were working on carpet.

Are you spraying the piece down with encap green? and where do you get your yellow microfiber pads?
Thanks

First question: yes. either that, Orbit Natural,
or Outsolv. But your term "spraying down" suggests soaking it. I'm just trying to dampen it, as with carpets. Re. the yellow microfiber pads: they seem to be turning up in a lot of places, including the automotive sections of various stores. I received a bunch also when I bought my steam vapor machine
(http://www.daimer.com). There is also a company whose URL is (I think) http://www.swedeclean.com) that sells them.

nice work Mark! i only do 30 houses a year but my biggest invoice for 1 house was around $800 ...someday maybe i will hit your mark....i hope!

Mark Dullea
Make sure you use your hands down in the crevices to pull out all the loose junk: pens, crayons, coins, etc. (pray that you don't run into their missing steak knife during this "blind" search.)

my UPH Cleaning IICRC instructor warned us specifically to never do this. they knew of a cleaner who did the same thing and skewered a couple of his fingers together when he came across a large sewing needle they suggested using some type of crevice tool to loosen items and maneuver them to the surface.

I also pre vac, than use my vapor steamer, hardly ever do i use any chems, if so mostly encap green. Just depends on what type of furniture as well, most of them are clean.

Good job on the bill, i love those jobs, been having some of those here and there myself.

I got a marble job to do in may that is just under 2k.

I once had to buy a sofa after using my steam vapor machine on it. The fabric became badly marked by the 300-degree heat. It was a dark blue material with some pile to it. I will use the SV machine now only on commercial synthetic uphol. materials.

That's a worry with Vapor Steam on Uph. However, can't you turn down the temp to about 200 on them? That's where I would draw the line. You can blanche microfiber and ruin a lot of fabrics with too high of heat according to the IICRC Uph class I took.

I've had 3 SV machines - Fogacci, deLonghi, and now a Daimer. The Fogacci and the deLonghi had no adjustments, and with the Daimer, I can adjust the steam pressure but not the temperature.