Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
what do I need to get started

I'm moving to mount pleasant Pa sometime near the end of february. I want to start my own carpet cleaning biz I have no prior experience and am completely lost on what I actually need to get started. Since I have no experience
I thought about attending a class with JON-DON. As far as equipment goes I was thinking about the Rotovac start up package. please help

Re: what do I need to get started

That's certainly one way to go. Whatever system you go with you'll want to try to get a few carpets on to do to get used to your system/method and gain some confidence.

When I first started I did an ultra low rate for 2 rooms/hall for $49. You don't really make any $$ for that but I just wanted to get some experience. Several of my early customers have actually stuck with me through my price changes.

Mark sells a package also which you should look at. Depends on what "method" you want to offer.

I got started by buying the package from Rotovac. I still have that same machine and porty. I use it to flush really bad residential carpets and area rugs. I know of plenty guys who started by getting that system.

however...it was not too long before I stopped using the Rotovac and simply used the wand. I ended up putting the Roto away...and stopped cleaning carpets.

Then I found VLM methods....
I get better results, faster, easier and is an easier sell.

If I had it to do over, I'd start by getting VLM first, then a better porty.

Joew, By VLM, Phil means Very Low Moisture - just the kind of method I base my "Start Your Carpet Cleaning Business" Package on. If you found your way to this Forum without first seeing my site:
www.carpet-cleaning-business.com, you should go there are read through it. My Training Manual is the heart of my Package. To help you get started successfully in this business, you will get a lot more out of it than you will from a single technical Jon Don session. Keep the moisture level down and offer the customer a service using natural cleaning products. This combination is your best shot at building a competitive "niche" business.

i did same thing as Phil in terms of starting out with a portable, got less than average results (my fault) and became disinterested with CC'ing.

found VLM, invested and went from part time CC'er and a fulltime toilet cleaner, to a fulltime carpet cleaner and no more toilets. only reason it's worked for me is because of the results are what i always imagined they would be when i 1st started with HWE.

thanx --- Derek.

AWESOME posts so far.

Bottom line VLM rocks hard.

Thanks for all your help Iam very interested in the vlm and would like to know if there is finacing available

My Package is priced just under $2000. Most people who buy it just self-finance via a credit card purchase.

i did what Mark suggests: cruised the internet and within a half hour i had 2 or 3 credit cards with 0% interest for 12 full months ready to accept me.

i took 1 of them out, bought equipment and paid it off within the 12 months (THAT IS KEY!!!).

thanx --- Derek

Mark is correct above that the cost of his package is relatively low, esp. compared to an HWE system. However, i strongly recommend having significant additional funds so that you can:
1. weather a slow startup period;
2. have funds to use for advertising;
3. other needs such as maybe needing an additional vehicle, additonal cleaning products (deodorizer?, urine control products?, carpet protector?), a vacuum or two, uniform, van/car lettering or magnets;
4. also you'll likely need more pads;
5. you'll need business liability insurance

If you have another job you are avoiding a lot of the potential downfalls and can afford to start slow until you get a comfort zone and start getting referrals and figure out what marketing works for you. If you are just going to "dive in" then I am just trying to help you realize what to expect as far as other costs.