Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Two tone berber

Did a one room (only carpeted room) yesterday. It was a two tone beige berber. A higher patterned loop, and lower loop. Not really dirty except in the entrance area to the room. I thought it looked close to brand new when I left. The husband was home and his wife wasn't.

This am the wife calls and says she's very unhappy with the result. States she thinks it's "obvious" I just smeared the dirt around and is unhappy with the appearance. This is the first complaint I've ever had and I told her I'd just rip up the check since she was unhappy.

Couple of questions: 1) Is there a special way of cleaning this carpet. I used a solid glider... and 2) How would you deal with this custy.

I may be wrong, but she sounds to me like the kind that I don't want to deal with again, looking for any kind of excuse to complain. Interesting b/c her husband seemed impressed with the look when I left and now she calls with this complaint... This website lists some issues with cheaper berbers sold as high end, maybe this is the issue? http://www.carpetdyeing.com/berber.html

Re: Two tone berber

hey I did a carpet like this once got me more refferals then any other job I have done. The reason was this the ownwer said that she had never had any one clean it good untill I did. The problem she had was that during the day her carpets looked clean but at night it showed the dirt maybe this is what happened with you. When she told me this I was sure to take my time I encapped it first then I used my cotton pads and orbit natural until the cotton pads were not showing any dirt, I think the encap helped on the lower laying areas. But maybe someone with more experience has better info, I think it was me taking so much time is what did it I took like 5 hours in three rooms, it was one of my first jobs, but she got me like 5 other jobs.

I forgot to mention I believe the carpet is an olefin-nylon blend.

Did she know how you were going to clean the carpet in the first place? Was she expecting a truck mount and the hubby said. "Hunny it was the weirdist thing the way this guy cleaned the carpet. He sprayed some stuff down and wet a towel and ran it around the rug with a green little floor machine, you know the kind you wax a floor with". She may have a mind set on what it is to clean a carpet. And our way may not be in her head.
I had a guy at work one day tell me the same thing he said if yor going to clean carpets at my house I better see hoses comming out of your van and into my house.
Maybe you did the right thing and you will not have to deal with her again. and mail the torn check back to her.
I always make sure they know it is a VLM way of cleaning.

I think I had assumed this person was responding to my postcard which makes it clear that I'm not a steam cleaner. I had thought she asked me a couple general questions about the process, but she might not have. You are probably right that she asked her husband some questions and then started thinking something weird was going on.

Yep, I have learned one thing in the few jobs I have done in the past, so people will understand if you say VLM, they think of chem dry or maybe even shampooing a carpet. Other people dont have a clue. These are the people that I explain the process to.

This is the case with res work. Comm work they dont really care about how you do the job they just want the carpets to look good.

I wouldn't use the solid glider on berber. I use either the holy glider, or no glider at all, depending upon how much soiling there is.

Grant, "smear dirt around" Is one of the things hwe guys say about vlm cleaning, I have seen it on a few web sites, and one hwe yellow page add has a 1-800 number with a recorded message that slams vlm , I bet she got this idiea from hwe propaganda, If I were you, I would egg her house. :)

I agree with Andy and use the large eggs, I prefer Emu or Ostrich eggs. But go with what you can affored.