Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1953 WG-7 for sale in North Georgia

I have a WG-7 that I restored, all new internals, new paint and decals. I bought it from the original owner's nephew, along with his boat a couple of years ago. I finished the restoration, except for the bolts which hold the lower cowl, and the motor has been on a stand in my workshop ever since. I tested the motor for about 20 minutes but didn't like not having a neutral or reverse. I have youtube video of that test. I also have a custom stand that I built that will hold most outboard motors. I was thinking of putting it on ebay, but shipping would be extremely expensive. I want $400 for all of it, which doesn't even cover the cost of parts, paint and decals, but would like someone to have it who would enjoy and appreciate it. Anyone interested? I can send pics.

Re: 1953 WG-7 for sale in North Georgia

I have a WG 4 with serial # 720655. It was my grandfathers, I actually got it to run in a barrel, but I would like to get some parts for it. I saw where you rebuilt yours & was wondering where you found parts? I reall y need a new float for carb. & water pump.
Thanks for anything you can provide. I just want to keep it because it was my grandfathers & he bought it new back in the 50's

WG4 made by Kiekhaefer(Mercury) carburetor float and impeller
are same as KE3 and prior Mercury models. A modern gasahol resistant float
can be made from current closed cell float by trimming to length or by
buying a pre trimmed float. Impeller is Mercury part number 47-24447 sometimes
one or another vendor does not have in stock.
Price of impeller is a factor. Price of float much less so.
Several on line vendors to choose from.
Louis

I wonder how a super glue painted float holds up to the alcohol in gas? I know they paint them for waterlogged floats (after drying them out first).

If cork float is in decent shape coating with thinned epoxy or super glue
said to be doable and satisfactory. Sometimes, and this may be the case here,
the float has deteriorated and become unusable. Replacing with a modified
Mercury closed cell float is one alternative to consider.
I believe all of the Tillotson AJ series gravity feed (tank on motor)carburetors
use the same float and float rod. The closed cell float is made for a separate
tank and fuel pump pressure feed carburetor but can be modified to work with
the older carburetors.
Louis