Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wizard 1955 Super 5, WH(IN)6 2Cyl S/N 845570

Help: Please point me in the correct direction. I pulled the fly wheel off and discovered the ignition coil is fried on the lower cyl. I need to replace both coils and tune up the engine, new points, condenser, etc....
I have a Mark 6 and 6A parts list for Mercury, not sure if the info in the manual pertains to my Wizard or not. I also would like to get a operating manual, need to know lots of details about this outboard, lower cooling unit, pump etc... I also need a 5gal fuel tank and fuel line connection to engine. Where does one start with a wish (work order)list this awesome??

Re: Wizard 1955 Super 5, WH(IN)6 2Cyl S/N 845570

Proceed with caution. Two new coils, gas tank and probably water pump impeller
will run most of $200. Early members of KF5 series had water pump on prop shaft
behind a left hand thread water pump cover...later models had a different
impeller/water pump mounted on drive shaft. In my opinion not an easy to service motor...others may hold different opinions.
Decide if the motor has enough service life left in it to justify investment of your time and money. You will find parts are more available than you might expect for a 60 year old outboard although prices will be definitely at the
21st Century level.
Paper work is the first thing that got pitched when outboard was new...possibly
to keep wife from knowing purchase price...what seems low now was pretty steep
when most people made less than a dollar an hour.
Louis
Price Level Shocker...my brother bought a new 1963 Chevrolet Impala Super Sport with a 250hp 327ci V8 at #2750.00 out the door...several months later
he was drafted into army where he was paid $78.00 per month before taxes
and deductions. Naturally car had to go. When he got out of army he had
the clothes on his back, a job back at sweat shop factory and an honorable discharge paper. He was lucky at that...his time in service was just prior
to Viet Nam.
Good Luck
Kiekhaefer (Mercury) supplied Western Auto with Wizard versions of Mercury outboard motors (1940-1956/7). Early on they were painted same color with
only difference decal and id tag. In postwar era Mr.Kiekhafer differentiated
the two lines so what fits a Mercury might not fit a Wizard of same basic
design.

wh-6 is similar to Mercury mark6
coils and points here: http://store.oldmercs.com/category_s/415.htm

Brian: Thanks for your words of wisdom. You are a great help. Tell me, where can I find fuel tank, fuel line and connection?? Please and Thank You, Earl

Brian: You have been very helpful. Buy the time I add up all the cost for what I need to use the motor ($450.) I could purchase a used Mercury 7hp in good running condition, maybe?? What do you think?? Any places to look for good used outboard motors?? Maybe this Wizard could be a parts queen for someone. Please give me your opinion. Respectfully, Earl

Brian,
You can use a new gas tank from Wal-Mark not metal, also buy a hose, and male-female connections for Mercury unless you want it stock.
Thanks, Ray