Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wa-25

Motor has waek spark. Need information on magnito specs.Ihave checked points,condensor,rotor,cap.small spark from magnito secondary tower.thank you for any infoation.

Re: wa-25

WA-25 is Wizard version of Mercury Mark 30. Magneto is either FM-XV4B70E
or Kiekhaefer 4D-1 Different Magnetos but interchangeable. I do not know
if 4D-1 was original equipment for WA-25...but after a half century +
you may expect anything under the hood that will fit and sometimes things
that don't. 4D came in later dash numbers indicating some change or improvement
likely also a fit. Verify what you have before ordering parts. Mercury changed cap and rotor so NOS parts come in both will fit and will not fit
combinations.
If you can obtain a copy of 1965 and Prior Models Manual the magneto service section will make much that is murky clear.
Economics 101: New manual will be in $75 plus S & H range New coil last time
I looked in $60 plus S & H range. Point gap is very tight 0.010" plus -0-
minus 0.002" Setting timing by either factory method requires Mercury
Service Tools as does checking point spring tension. Alternative is to
use a dial indicator on top of piston with a light or meter across
points. Degree Wheel method will work but who has those?
Manual gives a step by step procedure to set up magneto and to set timing
Look or advertise for a used manual at a reasonable price.
There may be those who rebuild magnetos on an exchange basis.
I have seen WA-25 and Mark 30 but no personal wrench time on them.
Louis

Nice motors. Your better off pulling the distributor to check everything. I have 2 WA25 Wizards. I've been through the complete distributor on one so far. Good time to check distributor bearings. Mine were shot, and I had to replace the uppers. I'd plan on replacing the wires, and condenser at the least (if coil checks out good). Check points for pitting. I polished mine with 1000 grit sandpaper. Don't remove points unless they need to be replaced. They have a tension setting that you need a special tool to set. My points were great, just a tad dirty. Remember when setting the point gap, that it also changes dwell. Another area that can cause a bad connection is on the screws inside the cap that secure the plug wires on. They screw through the wires to connect to the distributor cap terminals. Let me know if I can be of any assistance. Good luck. Brian.

Thanks for the reply brian,I have checked the points,condenser,magnets.spark from secondary magnito tower weak.blue spark,but only 1/8 long.when cap is on,it wont jump air gap in cap.nothing at plug wires.is the magnito the weak link.thanks jim.

James, I sent you an email.

Im looking for a cap & rotor for wa-25.Any parts around? Let me know. Thanks.

Is this the cap you need?

Here is a rotor button for a Mercury Mark 30 which is the equivalent to the WA-25.