Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fuel Tank

I read that some of the K2's were equiped with rectangular tanks, so have decided to restore what is in front of me. Starting to clean up the tank inside and out and see tonight that at least one seam weld is leaking. So...will clean all and see if the local shop will take the chance of being blown to pieces to fix the break in the welds.

Great fun and always something new. And...Phil taught me about compression testing....thanks Phil...a new skill that I need.

Photobucket

This is the leaking one...

Photobucket

Thanks again for everyone's help with this adventure.

Doug Williams
Miami, Florida
doug@thedougwilliamsgroup.com
305-926-7526

Re: Fuel Tank

I hope they can get you fixed up. I can't wait to see the progress. Outboards are alot of fun. Keep up the good work. PS How did you post pics? I can't figure it out.

I asked welder about gas tank welding. His insurance would not allow him to do that. He referred me to a local radiator repair shop. They were equipped to clean, acid dip and and solder up my very rough tank...the price quoted
was higher than I expected but probably fair all things considered.
Your tank seam appears to be solder not weld.
Gas tanks have a well deserved bad reputation for exploding if not cleared
of all liquid and vapor before attempting repair using heat or open flame.
Unless you feel qualified and comfortable either leave it to the pros
or see what auto parts store offers in the gas tank leak repair line.
A minor seam leak in a tank probably from a lawn mower is not a good
place to spend large sums if a tube of epoxy can do the job. There is
mention from time to time of pour in, slosh and pour out tank sealers
...from what I have heard used in motorcycle restoring...probably
a reasonable cost for a mult thousand doller motorcycle...seemed
a little much for average outboard. Maybe more to do with location of rider, gas tank and engine on motorcycle make sealing tank leak worth
premium price.

I might try repair using a soldering copper and acid core solder, but,
then I am the guy who blew up gallon paint thinner cans by tossing
them on a bonfire...same summer I hosed down a wasp nest...bored 12
year olds do strange things for excitement.

Louis

Louis was a bad boy like me. At 13 I could boost a car in about 15 seconds....and I knew how to start an unwanted bon-fire in the neighborhood. After some research, advice, and clear thinking have decided to forgo the possible boom boom and get a patch kit. JB Weld...and found another product called Lab Metal. New post shows new problem and status.

Doug
doug@thedougwilliamsgroup.com

Doug,
Sent you an email. Found an original gas tank for you. At least I'm 99.9% sure it's what you need.
Kirk

Thanks to Kirk I now have the correct tank coming my way. Without GOOD FELLAS like you guys, I would never be able to do this project. Thanks very much!! Taking the old girl down to a friends shop today to try to straighten out the bump on top. He has a press and has worked with aluminum before.

As I said Doug, I was 99.9% sure.