Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wd4 fuel tank

1 HAVE A WD4 THAT THE LOWER PART OF THE FUEL TANK HAS A CRACK IN IT. ANYONE HAVE SUGGESTIONS ON REPAIR?
2 HOW DO YOU REMOVE THE FLYWHEEL ON A WD4?
3.IS THER A PARST LIST OR BETTER AN EXPLODED DIAGRAM AVAILABLE FOR A WD4?

THANKS
B. LANEY

Re: wd4 fuel tank

Wizard WD4 sold by Western Auto was made by Kiekhaefer and is much the same
as Mercury KD4. Sounds like your first old outboard? About how much mechanical background do you have?
If tank is cracked probably best to replace...if you need a tank I have several extras. Usual problem with cast aluminum tank is leaky seam which can be repaired using a contact cement called Seal All and gasket stock.
My aluminum welder charges at least $20 to fire up and he will NOT do gas tanks.
How to remove flywheel is an often asked question...there are several opinions on the subject...mine is based upon experience with a number of early Kiekhaefer made outboards. If you search this site you will find
several prior threads.
a couple of pointers...1) you need to make, borrow, or buy a tool...
sometimes called a harmonic balancer puller...2)go to hardware and get
a couple 7/16" x 20 fine thread nuts...use them to protect threads on
crankshaft when using flywheel tool...3)sometimes flywheels respond to mild force and sometimes more technique is required...The Big Hammer will
do more harm than good. Sometimes even when you have done lots of flywheels
you will run into the Mother of All Stuck Flywheels...nothing works until
you expand your pool of techniques to one that works...Big Hammers need
not apply...you can do without them.
(I had a KF7 flywheel that would not come off despite applying extreme force & heat in repeated cycles...eventually I tried an old time steam
engine technique...heated area of taper and touched a birthday cake candle to hot metal...that did it...)
Hammering leads to bent crankshafts and mushed threads...and a search for
a replacement crankshaft and maybe more.
When you have specific questions ask...there are several real deal experts who watch this site who have forgotten more than I will ever know.
Yes there is a parts list on this site. Review index to locate thread.
Louis

Re: wd4 fuel tank

Bobby,
Louis gives good advice on how to get the flywheel off. As for a parts list, do a search for WD4S and you'll find one. The S designates it is for a motor with a recoil starter but the majority of it will apply to your motor.
Kirk