Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spark plug wires

Got the flywheel off my WG-4 today and everything looks pretty good. I think I could use some new spark plug wires, though. Anyone have any suggestions as to where I could pick up some new wire to replace them? Any chain stores carry what is required?

Re: Spark plug wires

I went to NAPA, CarQuest, Autozone, and a local small engine repair shop today with no luck.

What you want is 7mm braided copper wire core ignition
wire...about 3 feet, runs about fifty cents a foot
usually cut off a roll of wire.
If you have no luck with phone directory of auto parts
places try on line as there are several places likely
to have wire, caps and clips.
Do only one side of magneto at a time so you have a guide as to routing and connections...even simple things can confuse. Route wire from magneto to spark
plug and be sure you have enough before cutting to
length,
I too have had problems finding wire, gasket stock
carburetor clips and welch plugs...chain retailers business model involves shelves stocked with company's standard line of prepackaged goods...
okay if you are going to replace parts.
If you are going to tear something apart to fix what
is wrong you need to find one of the remaining old
fashioned service oriented auto parts store...when
you do don't be afraid to buy enough to fix a half
dozen motors as the next time you need it they may no
longer able to supply or store closed.
Louis

E-bay has it by the foot for $0.99 plus $1.90 shipping if you can't find it locally
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7mm-Spark-Plug-WIRE-Coil-Ignition-Hypalon-Cover-Copper-Core-Strand-HIGH-QUALITY-/130638610933?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e6aab01f5

Thanks guys for the info. Should have it up and running in no time at this rate.

Tried to buy some from the above link. Vendor said he was out of stock after someone came in and bought all he had. Louis, was that you following your own advice?!!

Brillman Company sells a variety of different 7mm braided copper wire, as well as terminals and boots (see link). Also, if you have a NAPA in the area that sell items from the Sierra Marine catalog, they also sell it in prepackaged 25' lengths. Sierra wire is fine, but their rubber boots are terrible.

JP

Nope. I shop locally and save.
Louis

You should remove spark plug wire's one by one. Just remove the wire from the distributor cap by pulling on the end of the wire.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Click here for best knobs handles | flange pipe