Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
special tools needed to compress piston rings?

i have completed restoration on a wizard wg4 6 hp. i have everything ready to put back together but ran into the problem of getting the cylinder caps back on over the pistons. i can see where the piston rings have to be positioned but cannot find a way to get the rings compressed in order to slide the caps back on. do i need a special tool, or is there an easy way that i am overlooking?

Re: special tools needed to compress piston rings?

Try using your fingernails when pushing the jugs over the piston at the same time. This has worked for me, those special tools are a pain in the you know what!

Look for something like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-piston-ring-tool-installation-compressor-/200672297561?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2eb9004259

I used a hose clamp when I re ringed my wizard.(if I couldn't compress by hand).

make sure they(piston rings) are indexed correctly with the tabs,If that applies to your motor.

Usually you can press rings in with fingers...not always...I had a super max PITA KE4 powerhead
that just would not cooperate...looked in Bailey's
chain saw on line catalog and found a set of plastic
ring squeezers for a reasonable $7.95 or some such
plus $8.95 S & H (OUCH!!!) Arrived in due course
and worked where nothing else I tried could...
Nice tool(s) that work as advertised but oh that
S & H. (I had worked over several days trying to
make up something but this was the motor from
that warm place.
Louis

Small soup or condensed milk cans - cut strips wide enough to cover the rings and squeeze ends with vise grips or pliars. Oil well first. JW in Dixie

A big plastic zip tie works good too!

I think you should refer a dame device. Just notice that how the piston rings are position on the cylinder & just try to imitate it..

alliance plastic | clamping knob