Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Water output

I see from reading the manual that there is a water input for cooling. As I read thru the book I do not see anything on water out. I understand that normally a motor "pees". How does this happen with a 1957 Wizard 5hp motor? I have been running the motor in a test barrel with out any problems, I am able to place my hand on the motor after running it for 45 minutes but I do not see any water output. Thanks

Re: Water output

The water outlet is discharged into the middle leg in front of the drive shaft and from there most of it exhausts out the bottom. Usually you can feel and see a mist coming out the back of the leg.

I have seen some motors that cool OK at idle but inadequately when operated at full load on a boat.

If that is a Mercury-made Wizard Super 5 (Model# WH6, a green Mark 6 basically), there are four water exhaust holes at the top end of the leg. When running the motor, if you have the water level in your barrell well above the anti-cavitation plate, you should both see and feel water coming out of those four holes. If you don't, shut it down immediately, as you could damage the powerhead if it isn't cooling properly.

Have you at minimum inspected the water pump impeller? If you don't know its age, replacing it is one of the cheaper and best things you can do for your motor. If that is indeed a Super 5 by Mercury, the impellers are readily available.

http://store.eastcoastmarineservice.com/product_p/47-22748.htm

JP

There are a couple reasons why a new ownere of an old
outboard may ignore or avoid impeller...
1) may not be aware there is an impeller
2) may not know how to access
3) may not want to spend the money on a free or low
cost acquisition
4) may belong to "If it is not broken don't fix it"
school of thought.
If you are going to use an old outboard motor to decorate with you may ignore mechanical needs.
Motors that are going to see use need to be looked
over first to determine if their condition justifies
the time and money required. The rubber impeller is
a must see item...it may be good enough to pump
water in test tank for a few minutes...that may
not be good enough for hours of use on a boat.
The statement that "it ran when it was put away"
does not excuse you from checking things over.
Looking after an older outboard motor is pretty
much a do it yourself task as you are unlikely to
find a professional interested and qualified...
and you probably do not want to pay 21st Century
shop rates either.
This site has many with experience and knowledge
to share with you. ASK and you will usually
receive a spot on response.
Your Wizard may have the impeller on drive shaft
if based on Mark 5 or behind propeller on prop shaft
if based on KF5
(a few questions and perhaps a photo will make clear which you have) Cross reference says WH6 and WH6A based on the Mercury Mark 6 which is a later 6hp version of above so probably impeller is on drive shaft above the gear case.)
Some outboard motors do have a pee outlet to indicate water is being pumped through cooling circuit and
exiting in plain sight...seem mostly to be on singles
Twins apparently require lots of water to cool exhaust
so cooling water is routed to exhaust manifold and
out with the exhaust. They also seem to have holes in exhaust leg to where exhaust gas and water mist exit as well as at main underwater exhaust port. Some owners install a pee outlet as a check on motors where loss of cooling water flow for any reason can be noticed and motor shut down...running into a plastic bag, a weed bed or impeller failure will all affect volume of water being pumped thru motor.
I once bought a used pickup and did not know its maintenance history...so my mechanic and I decided to do all the things needed to get it to zero time...gas line filter, transmission fluid and filter in addition to the usual routine services...as my mechanic put it you can spend $100 to service the transmission whether it needs it or not OR $1400 to change the transmission somewhere down the road if
trasmission fluid is shot and filter is plugged...the
fuel filter could not be removed so line had to be cut and a kit used to install a replacement filter...
apparently original filter...spend $30 now or take a chance on plugged gas line somewhere sometime.
Peace of mind is priceless.
1957 is last year Kiekhaefer made Wizards so your motor may or may not be similar to a Mercury model.
Louis

I have finally been able to do the work in changing the impeller along with the oil seals, upper & lower plus the upper o-ring. It was tricky to take apart and more so to put back together. Not sure if everything lined up properly, it is very hard to pull the starter coil. Do you have any ideas or key points in the re- alignment of the various parts. I also re-lubed it.
My thanks to everyone that replied; your information was very helpful. It is a Super 5 Model WH-6a 2G6610, so the comment about it being built by Mercury is correct. Bob

If it feels hard to pullover after you bolt the lower leg to the upper leg then it may be that you do not have the little pin lined up properly into the slot of the impeller. The same thing happended to me.