Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wh6

Well I took that boat to the water and I got the motor running alright the lower unit where it was getting hot is no longer getting hot, I am just curious to know how hot should the powerhead be getting inside the casing?

Re: wh6

Jeff,

Well, they do put off some heat, but not to the point that you'd get burned by touching it quickly. The outer cowlings should feel just warm to the touch, but you should be able to keep your hand on that without a problem. If you have a decent spray coming out the back, the water pump should be doing its job. I'm curious on how you got it running with the damage to the water pump housing?

JP

I actually had a guy do a one off manufacture on the water pump housing cover. I am kind of wondering about how to get the right adjustment on the idle and speed control now that it is staying cool, I ran it for about five minutes and it bogged down so I backed of the throttle then turn it up again and it would run but we both know that is not running good, have you got any tips on the adjustments? I am thinking that I might try to get it running good and try to sell it so I can pick up something else. Basically for the simple fact that some parts are hard to come by and if you do find them easily they aren't cheap so if you know anyone that may be interested?

Put a classified ad for it on the "AOMCI.org" website. Don't expect too much money for it, but you should be able to recover your investment. Then, if you decide you want a classic outboard, get yourself a mid to late 1950s Johnson or Evinrude (both OMCs). Tons of parts available, and they are incredibly easy to work on for a newbie. Probably blasphemy to post on the Wizard board, but I mainly have OMCs, and love 'em. Love my Merc, too....just harder to work on.

Alright thanks for your help, what are your thoughts on that idle and speed control adjustment, I thought I had it right before I had the impeller problems but I was also running 50:1 fuel oil mix so?