Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
In need of both coils for my 1955 wh6 wizard super 5

I have a 55 wizard super 5 that I just recently acquired and both coils are desintergrated they were siliconed back together by the previous owner and one actually still gives off spark but the other does not if anyone has any used that are still in good working condition for less than new ones would cost me it would help me out alot. I am also in need of a tank for it as well. Thanks everyone, Jeff

Re: In need of both coils for my 1955 wh6 wizard super 5

There is a guy that sells new after-market Phelon coils and claims he beats anybody's prices. He comes highly recommended by a lot of members. His name is Jim Judkins and can be emailed at oldoutboardjim@hotmail.com. If you can't get used, you might want to check his prices. For used, I would highly recommend Doug Penn (Douglas.Penn@gmail.com). I do a lot of business with Doug and have been extremely satisfied with our transactions. He may have some magnetos on parts motors that he'd be willing to breakdown.

Good luck!
JP

As far as a tank, that model will work with any modern marine fuel tank, you just need the quarter-turn bayonet style fuel connector to hook up to the motor, which can still be bought new. If you need a connector, I have one that is practically new I'd be willing to sell. But, they are also fairly easy to come by at Mercury dealers and aren't that expensive.

Thanks so much for your assistance I will contact them and see what I can get, I was wondering about magneto you mentioned the one guy tearing down a magneto, if I am getting spark from one coil my magneto should be ok shouldn't it? Just wondering because if not then I may as well get that too right. Thanks again

If the plastic coating on the coils is at all cracked, they should be replaced to get the best spark possible. Just because you have spark, doesn't necessarily mean it is good spark. A quality spark is one that can jump a 1/4" gap. The Phelon coils are notorious for "disintegrating" like you described, and trying to salvage them is not worth the effort. Some would argue that if you have spark, leave it be. But, you would be setting yourself up for a potentially long row back to shore one these days for when they finally fail.

I'm not sure if Doug will have a "parts" magneto with coils, but he would definitely be worth a try if you want to save a few buck. If you can afford it, I would highly recommend getting new through Jim, as no one can guarantee life on an older used coil. Unfortunately, the Phelon coils are going to be more expensive than the OMC universal coil, but if you store the motor indoors in the winter and properly maintain the motor, the new coils should last you a LONG time.

JP