Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wizard WG4 Outboard Motor Serial:727028

I would like to price the worth of my Wizard WG4 outboard. Complete motor, very clean.

Re: Wizard WG4 Outboard Motor Serial:727028

What a motor is worth and what is sells for are usually two different things. According to Peter Hunn's "The Old Outboard Book" (3rd edition) a mint Wizard of that HP is only worth $75-100. A complete motor that shows some wear and tear is worth $50. Now, what you sell it for will vary widely....kind of like Blue Book value compared with selling price. It all comes down to motor condition and what people are willing to spend in your area. In the upper Midwest where there are no shortages of old motors, it probably won't go for lots, where as in my neck of the woods, you might get a couple hundred.

JP

Thank you for taking the time to answer my post. I just got two motors last night. I have a 16' flat bottom low that I am trying my darndest to get power on. It is a '78 Lowe. The other motor I got is a Mercury Hurricane. Perhaps I will be able to trade both motors for a 25 hp. May be a bit dreamy in that venture, however. At any rate, where is "Your neck of the woods?" I reside in Chattanooga, TN. Do you care to see pictures of both? I cannot say the Wizard is in mint condition, I know it has high compression and spark. I need to see if I can get it to run. The Mercury needs a new pull cord. The Wizard is not banged up at all and is very clean under the covers with no oil leaks. I do, however, thing the float in the carb is stuck. It was leaking fuel out of the top when I added some to the tank last night in a quick effort of getting it started. Thanks again! Michael

Thank you for taking the time to answer my post. I just got two motors last night. I have a 16' flat bottom low that I am trying my darndest to get power on. It is a '78 Lowe. The other motor I got is a Mercury Hurricane. Perhaps I will be able to trade both motors for a 25 hp. May be a bit dreamy in that venture, however. At any rate, where is "Your neck of the woods?" I reside in Chattanooga, TN. Do you care to see pictures of both? I cannot say the Wizard is in mint condition, I know it has high compression and spark. I need to see if I can get it to run. The Mercury needs a new pull cord. The Wizard is not banged up at all and is very clean under the covers with no oil leaks. I do, however, think the float in the carb is stuck. It was leaking fuel out of the top when I added some to the tank last night in a quick effort of getting it started. Thanks again! Michael

Those Hurricanes are in pretty high demand, depending on condition. They tend to be under-rated in HP in that vintage, so a lot of guys like to use them on 10HP limited reservoirs. I have heard they put out closer to 16HP, which may be decent power for your 16' footer. My only complaint about them is that they are direct drive, and I really like having neutral and reverse.

You might want to try the ebay route, if you are willing to deal with the shipping. I have seen the Hurricane's go for $500+, if in good shape. Unfortunately, there isn't much demand for them in the DC area. Everyone likes a shiny new four-stroke....except for a couple guys like me!

Good luck!
JP