Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wizard ID and no spark

Hi, I've got a 3.5 hp Wizard boat motor that was left in my barn many years ago. I'm trying to learn a little about it and maybe get it running. It's model # is BA6503AF6 serial is C 1586. Any idea how old it is? It seems to have good compression but appears to have no spark. I pulled the flywheel and cleaned and very lightly dressed the points with an emory board. still no spark. Condensor? Anything else to check? Common failures? Where might I get ignition (and other) parts? Thanks in advance, Jim.

Re: Wizard ID and no spark

You have a 1965 Chrysler-made outboard. There is a good chance that the coil is shot, but it could be as simple as filing the point until it is nice and shiney. Pop the flywheel and give it an inspection. If the plastic on the coil is cracked, which is my guess, you'll need to replace it, and you might as well replace the point and condenser while you're at it. But, before you start spending money, you should also give the cylinder a compression check to see if you have enough compression for it to be a decent runner. I'm not sure what spec is, but my guess is that you probably want around 70PSI.

Anyway, check your compression and pop the flywheel...you'll know what you're dealing with and whether it is worth the effort.

Good luck!
JP

JP, Thanks very much for your reply. I'll pull the flywheel again and check things out a little more closely. Do you know where I could get the parts providing the compression is ample? Thanks again, Jim.

Jim-

Admittedly, I don't know a lot about your specific model, but you should be able to track parts down without too much trouble. I am pretty sure http://www.laingsoutboards.com/ (look under West Bend-Chrysler-Force Parts) has what you need. Give them a call. In addition, you could place a free "wanted" ad on the classifieds link at www.aomci.org. Someone might have a NOS coil out there, or you might be able to come by a good used one if someone has a parts motor. Put the specifics of your motor (model number, list it as a Chrysler-made Wizard), and I bet someone out there will have one for you. Chances are you can salvage the point by cleaning it with a super-fine sheet of sandpaper until they contacts are shiney, and the condenser, even if "leaky", will probably be fine.

Best of luck!
JP