Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
what motor?

I just bought a used duck boat cheap with a wizard motor on it. 6hp Model #c0c6606a07 serial#10368 western auto supply.any ideas what it is. I mixed the gas at 50:1, put the prop in a bucket of water and it started right up and runs great.There is a turn shaft on right side of carb that doesnt do anything. looks like a knob would go there but is broken and missing. also I didnt notice any water peeing out of motor. There seems to be 2 exhaust outlets. 1 is round about 6" down from engine and the other is oval right above the prop. Thanks for any help.

Re: what motor?

You've got a 1972 Chysler-made Wizard. Although I haven't owned a Chrysler outboard, I hear they are supposed to be good runners. 50:1 is correct for that vintage. If it isn't pumping water....don't run it -- you'll seize up the powerhead. The holes 6" down from the powerhead is the cooling water exhaust...if nothing comes out it is a good bet that it's a bad impeller or a block in the water tube -- the latter could be caused by the former. You should be able to get an impeller for cheap ($15-20) and that will probably solve the problem. Not sure how hard they are to install on a Chrysler, but unless you own certain Mercury models, most impellers aren't too hard to replace. But until then, don't run it!

Try here for a water pump impeller:
http://www.discount-marine-parts.com/

As far as what you describe on the carburetor, it sounds like you are describing the idle adjustment. If it idles down well, leave it alone, as once it is set, you shouldn't to adjust it. The real test of this motor is on the back of a boat while it is running under load. If it is running rough at wide open or idle, check back here and we can help you out to set the high-speed (main) and idle needles.

The other exhaust outlet (by the prop) is the main powerhead exhaust which should always be under water.

Hope this answers your questions. Sounds like potentially after a cheap impeller replacement you could have a good little motor.

JP

Thanks for the info. I ran the motor for about 5 min.
The area around the power head outlet starting getting very hot. so I shut it off. Think I messed it up? If I could find a pic of an exploded view of the outdrive assembly im sure I could fix it myself. again Thanks.

also the outdrive was in netural the whole time. does water pump just in gear or all the time?

Re: Re: what motor?

It should pump water at all times, even if in neutral...the lower unit will not be engaged, but the drive shaft turns to turn the impeller.

Let's hope there was enough residual lube in there to protect the powerhead. Without hooking it up to a fuel source, try turning the flywheel by hand or lightly pull the start cord. If it still turns, it at least hasn't seized. Get that impeller replaced and try running it in a big 55 gallon trash drum. Make sure the lower unit is fully submersed (to just below the water exhaust holes) and give her a run). If she starts up, chances are it will be okay. You can always going a little heavier on the oil than 50:1 (say 40:1) for a little extra lubrication if you are concerned about damage. A little extra oil won't hurt, just don't go overboard or you'll potentially foul the plugs.

So, try turning that flywheel. If it turns, hopefully you are okay. Being that it is a fairly modern motor, you can probably have it serviced if you don't want to try to do the impeller yourself. But, us guys here will help you through it if you do want to tackle it and save yourself some bucks!

JP

I can still spin the motor by hand so Ill hope for the best. again thanks for the help. If you have a step by step procedure that would be great. Im also wanting to purchase a service manual if you know anyone that has one. Thanks again

Re: Re: what motor?

Glad to hear that flywheel spins.

I wish I could tell you exactly how to open up the impeller housing on a Chrysler. You can always email me some pictures, and I am sure we can figure it out.

As far as a manual, coming by one specifically for a Wizard is really tough. But, getting one for a Chrysler-branded motor is usually pretty easy and would be a great source to walk you through an impeller job. I searched ebay for "Chrysler outboard manual" and there are a bunch. Although there isn't one specifically for a 1972 6HP model, I recommend getting a Clymers or Solec manual that covers a range of horsepowers for your year (there are a few available). You can probably find a new one at any Marine store...but your probably looking at $30-40.

JP

Re: Pumping water

Tommy, you have to have the water level in your test tank pretty deep to be sure the pump can fetch it up. Fill up to the ends of the clamps if you can and retry. Maybe the water level was too low. JW in Dixie