Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wizard motor

i have a3an a half horse motor an woud like to know what its worth please help

Re: wizard motor

Barry,

Motor value is very subjective. The best way to get an idea is to search ebay and see what similar sized motors of similar vintages have sold for. Condition is probably the biggest determining factor. A "runner" will obvisouly bring in more $$$ than one not running or frozen. If you have a real antique that is in flawless condition mechanically and cosmetically, you can get in some cases hundreds of dollares depending on the motor. If you just have a run of the mill 1960s or 70s air-cooled clunker...don't expect much.

What is the model number of your motor? If we have that, we can figure out the manufacturer and the year, and maybe give you a rough idea of worth.

JP

thanks i will get the numbers

I HAVE NUMBERS ON MY 3.5 HP WIZARD MOTOR
MODEL COC6503A96 BHP 4000
SERIAL 1271
4500 RPM TO 5000 RPM

WHATS IT WORTH AND DOES ANYBODY WANT IT
NOT SURE IF IT RUNS BUT LOOKS GOOD
EMAIL OR CALL AT 270-314-2754
IM IN KETUCKY

Re: Re: wizard motor

Barry,

That Wizard was made by Chrysler's defunct outboard division. You'll usually find a lot of Chrysler outboards on ebay, and they tend not to be the most collected of the various old outboards. That said, I have heard that they were considered good runners and you can still get aftermarket and used parts for them without too much difficulty.

They fact that it is a Wizard version might make it a little bit more of a collector's item, but not much. Condition is really going to determine its value. If it looks halfway decent and runs, I can't see you getting more more than lets say $100. If it doesn't run and is in bad shape, you might be able to get $30-$50. These are just more of gut feelings on my part, but I don't think it is that valuable. You could always part it out and sell the components on ebay as a way to get a bit more money, if it doesn't run.

These value questions are always tough. You could also place a "For Sale" add on aomci.org (follow the free classifieds link). Instead of placing a price on it, you could just take the best offer. Although I mentioned the parting out option, I would always much rather see it go to someone that is going to use and/or possibly restore it. There are kids that are AOMCI (Antique Outboard Motor Club) members that might want to tackle it as a first project.

JP