Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1969 6HP Wizard

Hello Forum,
I came acrossed a 1969 6 hp Wizard outboard today and looking for some help. I found the year and hp by looking at some site that I googled,, but I can't find anywhere to get an owners manual. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The motor looks to be in decent shape but you can tell it has been used pretty good. Out of curosity I sprayed some starting fluid in the carb just to see if it would fire. After about the 4th or 5th pull it popped and then acted like it wanted to fire. I pulled the plugs and the top plug looks like it hasn't fired lately. The bottom plug looked ok. The gear engage lever feels like it only has two positions - the other outboards I have had, had three ( F N R). Not sure what the setup on this is. I tried to fire it again with starting fluid and the second time I didn't get any signs of wanting to fire. I have stopped with it until I can find a manual. If anyone has insight to any of this I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance - SEMPER FI

Re: 1969 6HP Wizard

Well, there were two companies manufacturing Wizards at that time, Chrysler and Eska. That model is made by Chrysler, and I have seen lots of old Chrysler service manuals on ebay (you'll be hard pressed to find an actual Wizard manual). Since neither company makes outboards anymore (Eska is no longer), parts are hard (not impossible) to find. I would keep that in mind before making a purchase...it's not as easy as finding parts for a Mercury-made Wizard. You may want to give the carburetor a good cleaning, and then check the spark on the cylinders. If it has been sitting a long time, chances are the carburetor is gummed up. You can get carb rebuild kits for that model at Discount Marine Parts (google them).

There are also generic outboard service manuals out there that should cover Chryslers. I have a Clymers manual for 1960s Mercurys, and it is very helpful. I would have thought the Chrylsers were F-N-R models (never actually worked on one), but the Eskas are only F-N models.

Anyway, starting with a carburetor cleaning, spark, and compression test will let you know what kind of job you have ahead of you. But remember, there is the potential for this to get pricey since parts are hard to come by. You'll have to work the used parts circuit, except for basic things like carb rebuild kits and impellers, which shouldn't be too hard to come by.

Good luck!
JP

Re: 1969 6HP Wizard

Thanks for the reply. I found a Wizard parts manual for this model. It should give some insight of the
F N R question. I tinkered with it just a little this afternoon and got it to run. It fired and ran on about the 4th pull. I shut it down and plan on doing a spark and compression test this weekend. What would be a good compression and acceptable diffential pressure between the two? Hopefully with a good carb cleaning and a little tinkering I can get it running good. BTW the parts manual list the model number as a 1968 vs the 69 I previously thought. I suppose I should trust the Wizard manual. Hope so - 1968 was the year I was born.

Thanks again - SEMPER FI!!

Re: Re: 1969 6HP Wizard

Well, I would have to take a wag at the compression. I would guess that at minimum you would need about 75PSI in each cylinder for it to start and run halfway decent, but ideally you want 90+. You don't want much more than a 5 PSI difference between the two. I don't know the exact spec.

The fact that you are getting it to start intermittently seems to indicate that you are getting decent spark, but a spark test would still be good to make sure both cylinders are firing.

Good luck!
JP