Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WJ-7 lower units??

Can anyone tell me which lower unit the WJ-7s used? I have one and the prop shaft isn't splined and it looks to be 5/8"dia. My KE-7 has a smaller prop shaft, and I thought the KF-7s and KG-7s had splined prop shafts. ALSO, what's the gear ratio of a WJ-7? Thanks for any help.

Re: WJ-7 lower units??

Frank: I answered your quwstion on the AOMCI board.

Hey Ronald-Thanks for the reply. This WJ-7 Wizard doesn't have a KE-7 lower unit. I have a KE-7 with a couple of props. KE-7 props won't fit. The WJ-7 has a 5/8" prop shaft. It seems that the Wizards were the only motors Kiekhafer put out using 5/8" prop shafts. I've located two WM-7As I'm hoping to buy this weekend. I'm curious about checking prop shafts out. For the sake of the folks involved with the Wizard forum, I've cut and pasted your reply from the AOMCI forum....

Frank: Ronald here, the WJ7,(1954), never used the KG7 foot nor did the later WM7 or WM7-A's (1955-56). Carl kept the Wizards down a step & did not use the latest applications . The WJ7 used a smooth prop shaft & probably ran the M-50 KE7 foot. I think the gear ratio used was 14-19, as was used on the earlier WD Wizard 6 H.P. models. Also that would explane the different length drive shaft as used on the earlier Mercs. I think a Merc KE7 prop will work fine as it needs to be a 3 blade, shear pin prop. Hope that helps.

Yes Frank, forgot that small tidbit, the Wizard WM7 & WM7-A's have a 5/8th's prop shaft versus the 9/16th's on the KE7 Merc's. Dont collect earlier Wizzies but you say your WJ7 has a 5/8's shaft also so a KE7 prop will fit if you bore it out to 5/8th's. KF7 & KG7's had the splined, clutch prop shaft.