Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
'Lodge Lane'?

Hi
On one of my walks over the weekend I came back down the East Lancs Rd and crossed over the fields ending up at Lodge Lane, this got me thinking that there must have been a building there at one time. Just across the entrance into Penny Lane there are some old gates and I am assuming that the 'Lodge' would have been there. I did try to follow the old path but it didn't go anywhere. Any information?
Thanks
Debbie

Town: Ashton

Re: 'Lodge Lane'?

I have found some information on the above (I think that it's the same building) on this site. What started me thinking was that in the fields surrounding Lodge Lane the farmer has just ploughed and I couldn't understand how large 'white' boulder type bricks were scattered around. When I have just seen the picture of the Lodge it looks as though it was built of the very same stone!
Unless I have found the wrong building?

Re: 'Lodge Lane'?

Presumably the gates used to lead to Haydock Lodge, home of the Legh family in the 17th century, then a military barracks, and finally a private mental hospital until its closure and destruction by fire in the 1970s.

Re: Re: 'Lodge Lane'?

The old private mental hospital used to stand where the Post House/ Holiday Inn hotel was built. Or possibly that was the last building to go?
Around 1979 or early 80's