Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
if you cant beat them join them.

ok i will accept this site for what it is, regardless of quality,besides you only live once. on that note may i be the first to wish you all a merry xmas and a happy new year.

Town: ashton

Re: if you cant beat them join them.

Hi Nero

Thank You, now some evangelical will pull you up on the use of Xmas.

They like to say this is a modern abbreviation that does not show respect to this Christian Festival.

Never being one to shy away from a good debate, I disagree with them as do many Christians. Christmas is not to many Christians the major festival in the Christian calender, that being Eastertide. The use of the "X" in xmas highlights the cross. Also I am told but have forgotten, the details, but Greek comes into it too.

So I hope I have raised the calibre of this thread.

Yes Section8 I know Christmas on December 25th, was used to fit in with a pagan festival, coca-cola wasn't the first to use good marketing.

Alan

PS
Have you seen the supermarkets are subliminally starting Christmas already? Large tins of Quality Street etc are on offer, I think this is aimed at early Christmas shopping.

Town: Bryn

Re: Re: if you cant beat them join them.

Yes I work in one, and yes Christmas is all over the store. Iam usually sick of it by the time it comes.

Town: Wigan

Hi
I Have asked about the "x" in Xmas, I hope I get it right.

The Greek word for Christ begins with the Greek letter Thai, the capital is written as our letter "X" hence, Xmas.

Ciao
Alan

I will pass on that one.

Town: wigan

Not only a pagan festival date Alan, but many kept rituals too, like mistletoe, holly and the ivy. Sounds probable that feasting and getting hammered is pagan too. No idea why the Turkey gets it, but does differ in other countries as Carp of all things is eaten in the Czech Republic.

As for Xmas I always thought that the greek K became the X, as in Kristos Mass or Xristos perhaps. Maybe this is also where Crisscross comes from Christ cross X. Etymology is an interesting subject.

I was wrong once, but only because when asked a question i thought my answer was wrong, but in the end it turned out to be right.

Town: Humbug

I am never wrong its always the questions that are incorrect.

Town: Ashton

Hi Section8

My wife has recently returned from a holiday in Poland, she had carp and said it was delicious.

I can see me having to get a rod licence next, I hate fishing. Last time I tried it I spent all day and didn't find a single fish with fingers.

Alan

I definately would not like to eat carp dont know why, I suppose its just as a fisherman I dont see them as a meal.

Town: Stubshaw Cross

Hi
I suupose it is to do with culture, horses are eaten in Belgium , dogs are eaten in Thailand and rats in China.

Alan

"As for Xmas I always thought that the greek K became the X, as in Kristos Mass or Xristos perhaps. Maybe this is also where Crisscross comes from Christ cross X. Etymology is an interesting subject."

This X and P arose as the uppercase forms of the Greek letters χ and ρ), used in ancient abbreviations for Χριστος ( Greek for " Christ ".

IHS A common Christogram based on the first three letters of "Jesus" in Greek (Ίησους, Latinized IHSOVS); featured in the seal of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits)

Does that make it clearer? I think it does to me, just!!

Alan

Hi Again Section 8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas

Explains it better.

Alan

Thanks, Alan very interesting.

Coca cola was originally green and contained cocaine. If i remember correctly Coca cola use around 20% of the worlds sugar and use up large amounts of water which in certain countries huge factories have ruined communities.

http://eatthestate.org/09-17/NaturePolitics.htm

Read this, it may make you change your mind of which drink to choose when your a little thirsty.

Town: X

Hi Section 8
I stopped drinking all carbonated drinks about twelve months ago. Reading that article, makes me glad I did.

Now are you wrong about coca cola? The popular myth is that Father Christmas was always dressed in green and coca cola changed it to red http://thegreenman.net.au/mt/archives/000546.html

However http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=76561&in_page_id=34, disputes this.

I think it can be summed up with the old newspaper addage, "Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story" whatever the truth is

Alan

Although the articles do show that Father Xmas has come in many different colours. The original colour of the actual liquid was green.

As in the second article, i think it's a good idea to show him in a different colour suit to stay away from being the man in the advert. Surely the kids of nowadays will still be able to relate to a man in a hoody who breaks into peoples houses.

Town: X

http://www.waronwant.org/CocaCola3A20drinking20the20world20dry 15153.twl

This is soooo confusing, and it dont take much for me.lol

It is simple really

1 Nero wished us an early Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

2 Alan then went into the history of the use of Xmas

3 section X expanded on this and Christmas eating customs

4 it then went onto the connection between Father Christmas Coca cola and the colours Red and Green.

5 We the branched out to the abuse of power by multi national companies, coca cola in particular.

6 Various other side issues were raised

7 This all makes the original point raised by Nero valid, in asmuch "if you cant beat them join them"
...................I think anyway..........
...................I've lost myself........

Nero
Buon Natale
Felice Anno Nuovo!

Alam

I wish I had taken italian as one of my subject's at school... lol it would have been so useful now.

Trace x

Buon Natale Felice Anno Nuovo for the none Italian speakers it says "Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year"

Bit early for these good tidings Alan you could have waited another week as the major stores have only just started putting out their Christmas products.

Hi Vic
At our Church (Holy Trinity) we don't sing Carols until the week before Christmas, so very early. I was joining in with Nero's zany humour.

Happy Michaelmas.

Alan

No need to speak Italian to translate "Buon Natale Felice Anno Nuovo" as we have similar English words or common sayings to do it for us.

Buon = Bonne (appetite) = Good (Appetite)
Natale = Natal = Nativity
Felice = Felicity = Happiness
Anno = Annual = Yearly
Nuovo = Novel = New

You say that the river finds the way to the sea and like the river you will come to me.

Town: Dici che il fiume trova la via al mare e come il fiume giungerai a me.

You ain't half started some rambling discussion Nero.

Your last posting Section 8 reminds me of a holiday in Athens, my wife and I were having a cup of tea a stones throw from the Accropolis.
The proprietor was talking to a German in English, as they were at the next table I couldn't help overhearing the Greek man say, "the French and Italians are so lazy, they don't learn English." (sorry Nero)
I think he was an Anglophile the tea was perfection, silver teapot and milk jug.

All I could think if that was the case, then we English are bone idle.

Alan