​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Alan Sloman's blog
Lincolnshire Lung Inflator Learned Gentlemen and The Great Molar Day One of my blog is now up. Click HERE to arrive at Phil's and my first day.
Views: 1232   Replies: 11
Last Post: Sep 21, 2016 10:16pm
by alan.sloman
Rocklite or Mudclaw
I've been using my Midclaws for the last year or so and I'm firmly in the trail shoe camp where walking footwear is concerned. Anyone had both Claw and Rock to offer any advice which they prefer? My Mudclaws are probably due for replacement anyway and I'm more tha...
Views: 376   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 19, 2016 9:25pm
by Rich
Congratulations
Hi i would just like to say congratulations to my dad Terry Leyland completing all his munros, His last one was Ben Lomond. Nice one dad great achievement that...
Views: 511   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 19, 2016 7:14pm
by Terry Leyland
ooknest for sale
20ooknest for sale. 2 man Trailstar inner, brand new & unused.Mesh and 35cm cuben walls.Chikara floor.inverted T zip door..475gm.No pegs.Usual ooknest. quality cost £340,price £220 inc p&p. Any info or to purchase this fine piece of kit please email me....
Views: 483   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 12, 2016 10:43am
by Barry Turton
2017 dates
Do we know th edates for 2017 yet? I'm assuming it will be 12 - 26 May, but has this been confirmed?
Views: 435   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 7, 2016 6:26pm
by Byron
r
Rich
Newbie Questions
Hi all, Ok so I might be jumping the gun somewhat, I'm probably a little over excited! I'm hoping to get a place on next years TGO, which will be my first crossing. My rough plan is to start at Plockton and finish at St Cyrus. Day 5 Fort Augustus, day 7 King...
Views: 905   Replies: 13
Last Post: Sep 6, 2016 2:25pm
by Rich
Oh no! Not another blog!
I have, finally, started writing up my 2016 crossing here: http://tworoutes.blogspot.co.uk/ (I don't know how to make it into one of those clicky links cos I'm not very clever.) So far it is complete, with photos, up to the disaster on day 5. More to come when...
Views: 565   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 6, 2016 2:04pm
by Andrew W
Terry's Last Munro
Shy and retiring Challenge Leg-end, Terry Leyland is planning to compleat the Munros on Ben Lomond on Saturday 3 September. A search through Challenge archives suggest that Terry is of indeterminate age and would be glad of any help to reach the summit. I have booked...
Views: 563   Replies: 7
Last Post: Sep 5, 2016 5:43pm
by john donohoe
Applying for TGOC 2017
Hi all, in what edition of TGO does the application form appear for the 2017 challenge? It's just that I'm going to be away from home quite a bit over the next few months and don't want to miss out. Also, what is the southern boundary of the challenge? I have a ra...
Views: 920   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 30, 2016 3:40pm
by Paul Southward
GLENDOE CAMP SPOTS?
Just musing on Memory Map, as you do on a sweltering August evening! I haven't taken the Glendoe track out of Fort Augustus before, does anyone know of any particularly nice places to pitch for the night in the first 3-4km along the track after leaving the B862?
Views: 486   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 28, 2016 9:02pm
by Roger B
Bernard Fowkes
We would like to say a big thank you to all those who sent cards and letters of condolence. It was lovely to hear how Bernard had given encouragement and been remembered by so many Challengers on their first crossings and others over many years. The Challenge was...
Views: 314   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 28, 2016 8:32pm
by Jackie Ford
'After walking' Shoes for you ultra light peeps
Hi All, We getting excited yet? These should be ready to buy for next years challenge for all you ultra lightweight gurus... http://www.skinners.cc/
Views: 481   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 28, 2016 8:47am
by Sabine Zawadzki
TGO Scottish Re-Union: 30th Sept- 2nd October (Pitlochry)
With only 6 weeks until the Re-Union in Pitlochry, we thought we better send a final reminder. The hotel have held rooms for us but will release them very soon if they are not booked. Full details of the weekend and how to book can be found HERE. We think the ne...
Views: 389   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 24, 2016 8:10pm
by Issy & Les Silko...
Bernard (Jack) Fowkes - Funeral Details
Margaret and her family have told us that Bernard's funeral will take place on Wednesday 24th August at 11am at Loughborough Crematorium. Afterwards they will be raising a glass or two in his memory at the Jolly Farmers, Ives head Road,Shepshed. Instead of flowers...
Views: 308   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 19, 2016 5:00pm
by Ali & Sue
Bernard Fowkes
Margaret, Jackie, Tony and Emily have asked us to convey the sad news that Bernard Fowkes died peacefully on Wednesday - August 10th. Bernard and Margaret have had a long and very successful association with the Challenge and Bernard will be greatly missed by many....
Views: 770   Replies: 11
Last Post: Aug 15, 2016 9:33pm
by Kirsten Paterson
TGOC 2016 photos
Have at last got around to uploading photos of our 2016 crossing, at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tedandjen/albums/72157668330599013 Ted and Jenny Spiller
Views: 467   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 15, 2016 9:27pm
by Kirsten Paterson
Unwanted outdoor gear
Just having a clear out of my outdoor items that I no longer need. I know I can donate clothing , tents and other equipment to "Gift your gear" via a Rohan shop but I believe they will not take boots. I have a pair of almost brand new Meindle Borneo boots that...
Views: 512   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 12, 2016 11:58pm
by John J
Scary news for Sloman
Alan - I don't know how to break this to you, but we might be related If you are descended from George Sloman, who lived in Hawkhurst in Kent in the early 17th century, then we are 13th cousins (or possibly slightly closer, with a remove or two, if you are desce...
Views: 842   Replies: 11
Last Post: Aug 6, 2016 11:04am
by john donohoe
Scottish Mountain Gear
As some of you will know, I am very attached to my old Golite Quest rucksack, which has accompanied me on all my Challenges. When I got home this year, I found that the bottom of the pack was so full of holes, it resembled mesh more than any fabric normally found in...
Views: 510   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 5, 2016 3:34pm
by John J
Six Map Crossings
My crossings have always tended to wander about a bit ... needing seven, eight or even nine OS Landranger sheets to see me safely from the West coast to the East Coast. This year I am determined it shall be a six map crossing - 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 & 45. I dare s...
Views: 669   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 3, 2016 10:57am
by Jeremy Burrows
Potarch Hotel
The old hotel at Potarch, which was popular with challengers heading to the Fetteresso, closed a while ago and nothing much happened for a couple of years. A new cafe/bistro has just opened on the site (the rest of self-catering holiday flats) and we had lunch...
Views: 426   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 31, 2016 11:45am
by Judith
i
Ian C.
My photos
Hi folks. It's taken a while, due to website problems and me not being very good at fixing them but my photos from this year's Challenge can now be found at http://iancotterill.com/2016tgochallenge.html clicky should work. Ian C.
Views: 701   Replies: 12
Last Post: Jul 28, 2016 10:39pm
by Jenny Adamson
Mick Daniels
Sue (Tallents) has asked us to pass on her thanks to everybody who sent cards and messages of condolence to her concerning Mick. She also thanks everyone who attended his funeral. She says she very much appreciated it and has been overwhelmed by the thoughts and kin...
Views: 372   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 24, 2016 7:57am
by Sue & Ali
Terra Nova Laser for sale.
I have a Terra Nova Laser 1 to 2 person tent for sale. Been used 2 trips. Old style with 2 door zips allowing to fully open out. Superb condition. Guys missing and no tent pegs with it. £130 posted. Link with photos. https://www.facebook.com/groups/8612...
Views: 310   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 21, 2016 7:30pm
by Martin Rye
Our 2016 Challenge
On a more cheerful and uncontroversial note, here's a link to the blog entries and pictures that illustrate our happy crossing.
Views: 663   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 21, 2016 3:53pm
by Martin Banfield
tents for tall people/ Vaude Power Lizard?
Does anyone have any advice on tents for tall people - not a problem for me but my husband is 6'2 and does not like most lightweight tents. Wondering about a Vaude Power Lizard? Any thoughts/suggestions?
Views: 297   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 21, 2016 1:51pm
by Margaret Brown
Mick Daniels Funeral
Mick's funeral will be held on Friday 15th July at 2.40pm at Rose Hill Crematorium, Doncaster and afterwards at The Blue Bell, Gringley-on-the-Hill. Sue says she will be pleased to see any Challengers who would like to come along.
Views: 463   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 20, 2016 9:59pm
by Alan Hardy
sad news,
hi all, very sad news regarding one of our own, the sad parting of Mick Daniels, mick was one of the originals of the challenge, RIP Mick. Terry
Views: 723   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jul 12, 2016 9:04pm
by stormin'
Sad News: Jim Maison
It's with a heavy heart I pass on the sad news from his wife Fiona that Jim Maison died on Thursday 30 June. Jim will be well known to many Challengers as both an enthusiastic participant and as a warm and friendly presence in Challenge Control. To spend an evening w...
Views: 488   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 12, 2016 8:54pm
by stormin'
Mr Anthony Driscoll northern route
Mr Driscoll, I saw that you were mentioned in Martin Banfield's TGO account and that you went from Iverness to Fraserburgh. Vicky and I did that route last year and we loved it. If you get this message we were just wondering how was your experience. thanks
Views: 419   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 4, 2016 10:01pm
by Craig and Vicky ...
An Open Letter !!
Hi All, Gosh what kind of world are we living in now,The challenge so serious! Im sure we all look forward to this memorable 2 weeks its planning ,trials and tribulations, some like to rise very early,some come into camp later but its all part of our own personal...
Views: 985   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jul 3, 2016 3:57pm
by Gordon Green
t
Theo
math expression : any wizzkids out there ?
Living in Holland my challenge is to find an uphill area. In fact, there's not much hill in Holland. Therefor I've started using a treadmill in my fitnesscentre. I can adjust the gradiënt of the treadmill to up to 20%. Problem is it measures the distance but not...
Views: 918   Replies: 23
Last Post: Jul 1, 2016 3:53pm
by Theo
Question about rucsacks
I have tried very lightweight packs (Golight Pinacle) and all manner of heavy ones over the years. For the last few years I have carried a Montane Grand Tour 55, which isn't bad, though the stretch pockets are a bit dodgy when you are in the vicinity of brambles (I k...
Views: 713   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jun 28, 2016 4:26pm
by John Jocys
Another set of pictures
I made a little Youtube - slideshow of my pictures, if anyone is interested (it is rather lenghty - sorry! ) Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpb7RqZQgwI Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unYIPCV63bc
Views: 683   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jun 25, 2016 6:58pm
by Kirsten Paterson
A trundle in the hills: TGOC 2016
Just to let you all know I have posted my blog at http://lindywalks.blogspot.co.uk/ I hope this link is working!
Views: 610   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jun 24, 2016 5:28pm
by Mike Gillespie
MORE TGOC 2016 bloomin' Videos
Yes, I know.. There aren't enough hours in the day to watch them all. But, you need just 13min 48 secs for this one! TGOC 2016 In Pics
Views: 467   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jun 24, 2016 2:02pm
by Andrew W
Fort Augustus to Aviemore
Hi all, hope you all enjoyed the Crossing in May and that the weather was as good as it was here in Ireland. I'm doing my own crossing in June. Unfortunately no time off to join you all in May. I'm looking for some advice on getting from Fort Augustus to Aviemore. I'...
Views: 430   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 21, 2016 2:33pm
by Damien Barron
TGO Challenge website down
The website is currently rather poorly and not functioning. David and Will at Kelsey are working hard to get working again - hopefully it will be available again later today.
Views: 394   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 21, 2016 9:13am
by Ali & Sue
Crossing the Caledonian Canal
Hello there, Next year I hope to be one of the lucky ones out on the hills for the Challenge. In the last twenty years I have walked and camped quite regularly in the Highlands, in all seasons, and always alone. So I feel I might be up to it :-). But... I have ne...
Views: 394   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 20, 2016 6:36pm
by Andre Hilhorst
Thom Sandberg's Blog
Thom, a first time Challenger from the USA, has written up his walk in a highly entertaining blog that you can find by clicking on the link below: Walking to Wellesly Enjoy!
Views: 586   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 19, 2016 10:21am
by Lindy Griffiths
David Brown's blog
David Brown, from Baltimore USA, has now completed three Challenges. Quite a few Americans arrived on the Challenge for the first time this year after being inspired reading David's excellent piece in the Washington Post. David gets right under the skin of the peo...
Views: 408   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 17, 2016 11:21pm
by Andrew W
Google Photos of Phil's and my Challenge
A bit late, but here are my pictures of Phil's and my TGO Challenge from Dornie to Lunan Bay. You can click on the link below to get to my Google Photo Album: Alan & Phil's TGO Challenge 2016 Pictures If we bumped into you, you may well find yourself in...
Views: 599   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 17, 2016 8:08pm
by alan.sloman
Thanks for the photos
Thanks for all the photos everyone. I've really enjoyed looking through them all. It's some compensation for not being able to take part this year.
Views: 334   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 16, 2016 1:29pm
by Robin
Judith's photos - Oban to Ethie Haven
I've put my 2016 photos here Most of my previous TGO Challenge photos are in the other folders accessible from the index page. (I must get round to sorting out 2012 and 2013!) I've also created an index page for 2016 on my blog ..... which is here - although tha...
Views: 442   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 15, 2016 10:31pm
by Louise
Accommodation Crathie
Hi During the 2016 Challenge I spent the night in a B & B in Crathie. It would appear that the availability of accommodation in Crathie is not that well known. So please find below two accommodation websites - just in case you find you are that way in the future. I...
Views: 338   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 15, 2016 9:37am
by Kevin Everett
Well, that was a nice stroll - TGO 2016
A few brief notes on my 2016 TGO Challenge.... http://aktovate1.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/tgo-challenge-2016-mallaig-to-stonehaven.html
Views: 494   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 14, 2016 11:24am
by Robin
Maurice Woolf Series Now Complete
The series of Maurice Woolf — master musician and werwolf of the Upper Dulnaine — is now complete. I guess partially as a result of living in such inaccessible country (a reminder that Maurice died before the modern day rush to drive tracks everywhere...
Views: 289   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 12, 2016 11:30am
by Andy Howell
Another set of photos
If you haven't wearied yet of photos of blue skies and people camping in scenic spots, here are some more: photos.
Views: 660   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jun 11, 2016 1:19am
by Gordie
Another One
http://www.bajanthings.com/ Synopsis of my 4 TGO's William
Views: 563   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 10, 2016 3:29pm
by Lindy Griffiths
Calling all Challenger Musicians
I'm looking for TGO challengers who are also musicians, to join me in a musical TGO-related project. I'm looking at those of youth play acoustic instruments. Andy Walker is really involved and JJ is on my radar. But I know there are fiddle players as well. The onl...
Views: 495   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jun 9, 2016 9:35pm
by Andrew W
Found hat
Found ten months ago on the Dales Way. Olive green floppy hat, with a lot of badges including The Great Outdoors Challenge and Ultimate Challenge (the latter, green and white with ibex). Other badges include MBA, Seefeld 1200 Tyrol, YHA, SYHA etc, One distinctive...
Views: 286   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 9, 2016 4:37pm
by Emily @ TGO Maga...
My TGOC 2016 adventure
Here´s the link to my TGOC 16 Flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/135457297@N03/albums/72157669186546165/with/26787259064/ With real bog action heroes, the werewolves of the Dulnain, ptarmigans in love, some nervous sheep and a lot more ... Enjo...
Views: 704   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 8, 2016 9:40am
by Markus Petter
Nepal trip anyone?
Now we are back from roaming the hills in Scotland, maybe some of you might be interested in a trek in Nepal. A Sherpa friend of ours is taking a group to the Gokyo Lakes from 29 Oct to 21 Nov. He's a qualified guide, not part of any of the big companies so service...
Views: 249   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 8, 2016 9:00am
by Jenny Selley
Countdown clock for next year's Challenge
I don't know if anyone is interested, but I have just made a countdown clock for next year's Challenge! https://countingdownto.com/countdown/t-g-o-challenge-2017-12-may-2017-countdown-clock
Views: 388   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 7, 2016 5:25pm
by Lindy Griffiths
Photos anyone?
Well, looks like I'm the first to put these on the Bulletin Board but I know lots of people did their blogs/photos as they went along. Here's the link to my pictures anyway if anyone wants to plough through all 241 of them. https://www.flickr.com/gp/32831770@N07/Xm...
Views: 660   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jun 6, 2016 8:35pm
by Kirsten Paterson
The Life of Maurice Woolf: Master Jazzman and Werwolf of the Upper Dulnain
Regular readers of the Challenge noticeboard will remember the name of Maurice Woolf, a regular contributor to these pages. Like many who encounter us as we walk across Scotland, Maurice took pride is his association with the challenge and — or so it is rumoure...
Views: 443   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 6, 2016 1:38pm
by Eimar Woolf
A slightly irreverent blog....
... not too irreverent but there might be some swear words... hope it's okay to post; regardless, reflects Nick's and my first crossing and it was totally joyous. And yes, many thanks to Sue and Ali who kept us on the straight and narrow! Pete http://mostlyp...
Views: 590   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jun 6, 2016 12:57pm
by Kevin Everett
TGOC 2016 Ardrishaig to Kinnebar Links over bumpy stuff
This may or may not allow public viewing. Let me know TGOC 2016 Album I will add some captions over the next week.
Views: 832   Replies: 17
Last Post: Jun 5, 2016 2:15pm
by Martin Rye
Gap year confirmed for 2017
Starting to plan a 3 weeks, family holiday for summer 2017 in the USA ( western coast probably ) But i plan to be back in 2018 :)
Views: 465   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 3, 2016 12:20pm
by frederic
a
Adrian
2016 Challenge pics
Here's my effort. Trimmed them down to a reasonable amount. Clicky Here
Views: 566   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 3, 2016 10:32am
by Markus Petter
l
Louise
Oban to Stonehaven...the blog
Incase you need some bedtime reading, this should help you nod off... http://gemini-challenge.blogspot.co.uk/p/the-great-outdoors-challenge-2016-oban.html?m=0
Views: 676   Replies: 12
Last Post: Jun 2, 2016 8:11pm
by Louise
dates for 2017
does anyone know the dates for the 2017 challenge if so could you let me know , many thanks sam
Views: 459   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 31, 2016 6:10pm
by Sandy
Thank you
Just wanted to say a big thank you to Ali & Sue for all their hard work with this year's challenge. I think you'll all agree it was once again a great success. Thank you also to the vettors, all the people en route including the Tarfside & Callater Lodge Clans, a...
Views: 845   Replies: 17
Last Post: May 31, 2016 2:07pm
by William Burton
Blog - TGO Challenge
Im new to blogging so be gentle. Here is mine with its first 3 posts about the TGO. https://theantisocialhiker.com
Views: 414   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 31, 2016 9:45am
by Louise
l
Louise
Photos Oban to Stonehaven
There's just one or two photos, if anyone is interested... https://goo.gl/photos/mihcz7aH8Jyu8Lou6
Views: 345   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 30, 2016 8:09pm
by mark swift
WEDDING THANKYOUS
We would like to say a huge THANKYOU to everyone who made our wedding day so immensely enjoyable, especially to Ali & Sue who made it all possible in the first place. We are humbly grateful for all the effort and hard work they put in to making it happen. Our thank...
Views: 390   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 30, 2016 10:04am
by Ian C
Thank you for everyone on the challenge that donated for Leo
Hi all i just want to say a really big thank you to all that donated along the way across the challenge and at the park hotel at the finish dinner. We raised just under £500 thats just amazing!! I am going to pay it into Leos Just giving page under TGO when i ha...
Views: 392   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 28, 2016 10:54pm
by stefan leyland
a
Alan R
Slayers Arms Cannich
The Slayers Arms hosts Scott & Ange would like to thank all 2016 challengers who visited and enjoyed the hospitality and they look forward to welcoming you all again next year. In the meantime, me & Sheila will enjoy a nice pint of Cairngorm Tradewinds and thinking o...
Views: 536   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 28, 2016 8:10pm
by Phil Lambert
Best wishes to Ian and Jen for their wedding
Hope you have a wonderful day
Views: 358   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 28, 2016 8:00am
by Croydon
Train ticket home.
I have an unused 1st class train ticket going for Friday morning from Montrose to London. See Andy Walker in the Park Hotel for details as he has it. Cost is low at £50
Views: 309   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 25, 2016 11:43pm
by Martin Rye
Terra Nova 44cm tent rods
OK ... so last year I managed to lose one of the end poles for my tent. Don't ask me how! It was there when I camped at Loch Vrotachan; and it wasn't the next time I came to use my tent. According to the Terra Nova website, these are called "44 cm carbon rods", an...
Views: 702   Replies: 6
Last Post: May 23, 2016 11:58am
by Robin
Twitter
I've been trying to retweet as many Challenger Tweets as I can, to keep family and friends updated. Feel free to tag #tgochallenge to keep me on my toes.
Views: 335   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 18, 2016 12:58pm
by Emily @ TGO Maga...
Good luck Russ Manion
Good luck Russ keep us posted. Love Nick and Lyn x
Views: 243   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 13, 2016 12:55pm
by Nick and Lyn Met...
National Limerick Day
Apparently today is National Limerick Day. We know a lot of you will be spending the day sitting on buses, trains or planes so how about composing a Challenge based limerick whilst you travel? There will of course be a fantastic prize for the best one - an extra bi...
Views: 439   Replies: 6
Last Post: May 13, 2016 8:48am
by Theo
GOOD LUCK!!
GOOD LUCK! And remember, tea, coffee, scones, soup, etc. at Couige Lodge :) xxx
Views: 209   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 12, 2016 8:19pm
by Melanie Pocock
Accommodation at Cougie
Hello all, Just a wee note to wish you all the best of luck again this year! Also, we have plenty availability at Cougie Lodge and the Annexe this year - in fact we have been very quiet with bookings. Please let us know if you need a bed (and/or food) at all an...
Views: 549   Replies: 8
Last Post: May 12, 2016 8:16pm
by Melanie Pocock
Have a Great Crossing
To all of my Challenge chums out there, do have an enjoyable, successfull and aboeve all, safe TGOC'16. Sorry not to be able to join you this year for one reason or other but hope to see you perhaps next year. Colin Tock, (enroute Mull of Galloway to Dunnet He...
Views: 332   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 12, 2016 7:05pm
by Colin Tock
Have a fab crossing!
You lucky lot – this may well be the first of a couple or three successive GWCs (Good Weather Crossings), according to Deputy Dawg's infallible crystal ball. Hope you've all packed y'r sunscreen and floppy hats – I know for sure that you'll keep your blad...
Views: 321   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 12, 2016 2:52pm
by Deputy Dawg
b
Brian
Last cuppa before Stonehaven
Folks, the best of luck with your upcoming adventures. I live on the road between Auchenblae and Stonehaven, which often seems to be used by Challengers heading towards Stonehaven. Personally I would stay up in Fetteresso Forest until the end at Swanley, but if an...
Views: 343   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 12, 2016 10:30am
by Brian
Accomodation Oban Youth Hostel Available
My room (2 beds) in Oban YH is still available. So if you need it, take it! It's paid for (B&B), the miserly Dutchman says...... The hostel is aware that they can give away the room to any challenger. Have a great crossing!! Willem
Views: 301   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 12, 2016 9:39am
by Willem Fox
Last Minute Withdrawal
Just got the message that my sister is seriously ill. Some challenges are even bigger than the TGO one, so I stay home. Wish you all a great crossing and hope to see you next year. Willem
Views: 652   Replies: 9
Last Post: May 12, 2016 7:14am
by Deputy Dawg
Meeting up at the Bree Louise, Euston.
For all those traveling on the Caledonian Sleepers from Euston this Wednesday night (ie tomorrow!) I have booked a table at the Bree Louise pub in Coburg Street from 6:45pm onwards. Could you let me know if you'll be there? Ta Pooh-Bah, Lord High Everything...
Views: 607   Replies: 10
Last Post: May 11, 2016 10:00pm
by Paul Southward
Shiel bridge camping
Due to some lost luggage I will be arriving at Shiel bridge 8 pm may 12. Any camp site suggestions. Have fun everyone, thanks Russ
Views: 366   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 11, 2016 8:30pm
by Ian Sinclair
Oban Starters
Just wondered if Oban starters were meeting for chat/meal? Janet
Views: 308   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 11, 2016 8:15pm
by Kevin Everett
Have a great crossing, one and all!
Best of luck everybody. May the weather prove cooperative and the midgies stay away. Chris and Will from TGO will be crossing along with you this year. I'll look forward to catching up with you in Montrose. Enjoy!
Views: 270   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 11, 2016 4:03pm
by Louise
Braemar camp site - UPDATE
I've just heard that there have been a few non-Challenger cancellations for the 21st May so if you haven't booked now is the time.
Views: 556   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 11, 2016 3:47pm
by jj
t
terry
steady!!!
Steady, Steady,Me lovelies !!! AND there off !!!! good trip all, and don't let the ticks get you,
Views: 316   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 11, 2016 2:28pm
by Freddy
Accomodation YH Oban and resupply Parcels Available
- Due to my withdrawal I cancelled my Room and Breakfast in Oban Youth Hostel for the 12th May. - I've sent resupply parcels to the "Post Office and Tearoom" in Bridge of Balgie, Blair Atholl Caravan Park and Clova Hotel. Take whatever you need. If you...
Views: 457   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 11, 2016 8:49am
by Kirsten Paterson
London gatwick
Hi is any challengers leaving from London gatwick tomorrow on the 8:55 easy jet flight?
Views: 327   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 11, 2016 6:17am
by Stefan Leyland
Thursday night in Oban
Is there a favoured eating/watering hole in Oban for the Thursday evening?
Views: 541   Replies: 7
Last Post: May 11, 2016 12:55am
by Scott Rae
s
Sheila
Blisters - tip
I never normally get blisters on my heels but for some reason this year I have had sore blistered heels every time I've gone out walking. I found the following tip in the Daily Mail (runners amongst you may already know about this trick) - seemed too good to bel...
Views: 543   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 11, 2016 12:40am
by jj
Good luck everyone!
Hi everyone! For those taking part this year I'd like to wish you all a very enjoyable and safe crossing! For the first timers, I've done two full crossings since 2013 and I enjoyed the whole Challenge experience immensely on both occasions! I didn't a...
Views: 272   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 10, 2016 8:54pm
by Andrew W
I am off
I am starting the TGO 16 in a few hours from Barbados. Good luck to all and I hope that the good weather I sent lasts for the next 2 weeks! Hope to meet along the way! Cheers, William
Views: 346   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 10, 2016 6:42pm
by William Burton
Last min change of mind
Hi i need some good info, I know its late i know. I am trying to decide whether to take my gortex coat with some of the seals totally shot or to take a new berghaus coat i have but its a AQ2. Has anyone been in foul weather with a AQ2 jacket and are they any good. Th...
Views: 498   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 10, 2016 4:13pm
by stefan leyland
FWA Exploration Group
I believe The Annual General Meeting of the FWA Exploration group will take place at the Bree Louise public house, Coburg Street, London on Wednesday evening. I expect all will be welcome however your eligibilty or even ability to speak and/or vote on items raised...
Views: 375   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 10, 2016 8:09am
by Ray Disson
TGO 2016 cocktail party
From Drop Box
Views: 1605   Replies: 24
Last Post: May 10, 2016 7:44am
by Alistair Pooler
Spare sleeper ticket from Crewe - Wednesday night
Sadly Graham Weaver has had to withdraw from this year's Challenge. He has a sleeper ticket that leaves from Crewe on Wednesday evening and goes to Inverness. If anyone would like it please contact us on tgoc@newtonmorehostel.co.uk or ideally phone on 01540 673583...
Views: 304   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 10, 2016 7:41am
by Ali & Sue
Keep checking your kit
How many times have you checked your kit so far? Do you have that niggling feeling youve forgotten something yet. ha ha
Views: 491   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 10, 2016 6:27am
by stefan leyland
l
Larry
challenge trail walk!
hi you guys, well I'm headn on in this saturday for your great challenge trail walk my 3rd and boy i sure can't waite to get started,am planing to visit two of scotland great cities of paisley n motherwell,do they have castles there, guys I've been fallowing all you...
Views: 682   Replies: 10
Last Post: May 10, 2016 6:23am
by stefan leyland
This time next week I shall be.....
Walking from just south of the Falls of Glmoch to Cougie (17 miles). And you?
Views: 605   Replies: 12
Last Post: May 10, 2016 6:10am
by stefan leyland
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20