​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Hidden Challenge Gems
There a lot of peoples whose mind will (we hope!) turn to planning their route once the festivities are over. As a bit of inspiration, especially for first timers why not share some of those unexpected gems that have delighted you on previous crossings? Those places...
Views: 1020   Replies: 15
Last Post: Jan 13, 2017 8:39am
by Joy
How to get from Aviemore to Braemar
Hi All, So I have almost finished route planning however I am left with the question of how to make a plan that the vetters will approve. I made my nice little plan from Aviemore to Braemar (over two days or possibly three shorter ones) and realized that it is man...
Views: 998   Replies: 14
Last Post: Jan 12, 2017 7:37pm
by Melissa
TentMeals and 25% off
Hi all! Just a little mention that after last's year massive popularity, we're supporting TGO entrants with 25% off our full range of meals and snacks again this year. We (TentMeals) are a small company on a mission to make the best camping/expedition meals. We...
Views: 295   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 12, 2017 3:16pm
by Jess
A guide to Scottish delicacies for Challengers
For Challengers from furth of Scotland who may have been put off by the (undeservedly) bad reputation of Scottish food, I've written a short guide to some of the delicacies that you may encounter as you cross Scotland. http://iansommerville.com/blog/a-guide-to-sc...
Views: 574   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 12, 2017 2:49pm
by Jeremy Burrows
Jetboil Minimo or MSR Windburner.
Hi All I am looking for a new cooking system as my cooker has now broken. I am looking at the Jetboil Minimo and the MSR Windburner cooking pots. The Minimo looks good with metal handles, piezo ignition and can be adjusted to simmer but may not perform in windy co...
Views: 662   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 11, 2017 10:54am
by John Jocys
Route submission deadline approaching!
A gentle reminder for those Challengers who have completed 5 or more crossings - your route submission deadline of 21st January is approaching fast! Time to make those final few tweaks and send it to us. There are 42 routes due in the next couple of weeks - please...
Views: 339   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 11, 2017 12:30am
by Ali & Sue
Help for Ballater Camp Site
There are only 4 more days in which to cast your vote for the Ballater Camp site project. If you haven’t done so, or read my earlier posting, please do so now. They really do need our support.
Views: 526   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 10, 2017 8:31pm
by Louise
If you're thinking of applying for the Fjallraven Swedish Classic 2017 you'd better be quick
Entry places for the Swedish Fjallraven Walk 11th - 18th August went on sale today at http://classic.fjallraven.com/sweden/participate/tickets/ There are still a few left, but last year they all sold out on the first day so do make haste! I've got a place and wou...
Views: 438   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 10, 2017 8:08pm
by Sue Foss
Exeter ride share & Dartmoor training buddy
I have just started route planning for my first TGO. My initial plan is a route from Glenelg to Montrose, but might change to an "easier" starting point if the miles look too long. Anyone in and around Exeter, interesting in sharing transport to the event or meet...
Views: 711   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jan 9, 2017 6:14pm
by Mark Robertson
t
Theo
Dutchman missing in Highlands
Highland & Islands Police Division Police in Inverness are appealing for assistance in establishing the whereabouts and wellbeing of Cornelius Hendrick Van Der Wetering, aged 54, who is a Dutch national believed to be walking in the Glen Affric area. Mr Van...
Views: 490   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 6, 2017 11:32am
by Theo
Discount for Challengers
I am offering a discount for all Challengers interested in a new cooking system. The offer includes Cone or Pothugger windshield+stove+baseplate+simmer ring. All pack neatly into your preferred pot.A fixed price of £25 includes postage and packing.Use rhe conta...
Views: 694   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 4, 2017 8:23pm
by Matt
First Timer Just Getting Started
Hi All! Very excited to be taking part next year, found out while I was away on holidays so was a nice surprise. Just got back and time to get planning. Wanted to say hi to everyone as I'm looking forward to the social aspect of the event as much as everything els...
Views: 1015   Replies: 31
Last Post: Jan 4, 2017 8:08pm
by Steve Smith
Happy New Year!
Felicitations to all! 130 days to the start of TGOC2017!
Views: 306   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 1, 2017 6:03pm
by Andre Hilhorst
Single Black Diamond pole for sale
Hi, wondering if anyone would be interested in a single Carbon fibre pole, It's actually a ski pole, but does have a quick lock type adjustment catch. Might be suitable for someone who only uses one pole, or uses it mainly as a support for their tarp . Brand new, ne...
Views: 267   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 1, 2017 1:10pm
by Rod MacDonald
Weather map and snow conditions for Scotland
Here's a handy interactive map showing snow conditions for Scotland. Click here to take a look If you scroll down to the bottom of the screen you can check snow accumulation for last 3 days, last 7 and forecast for next 3 and 3-6 days. Clicking on the red dots...
Views: 402   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 30, 2016 9:21pm
by Kirsten Paterson
Merry to Christmas to All Challengers
The Very Merriest of Christmas to all Challengers - past, present and future!
Views: 648   Replies: 10
Last Post: Dec 26, 2016 11:54am
by Melissa
AirBNB
If anyone is planning to book accommodation via AirBNB you can get discount via their referral scheme. £25 off each. AirBNB I'll be booking my accommodation shortly so if anyone wants to post their AirBNB referral code I'll use it for my bookings.
Views: 501   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 23, 2016 7:48am
by Rich
The TGO Challenge Famous Morris Dancers
Has there ever been Morris dancers on the TGO Challenge Ha-ha have a look at the link! This was taken at Sue & Ali's Hostel in Newtonmore TGO Challenge 2016. Thanks to Sue and Ali for letting us perform our dance unplugged.. Please keep it clean people :-) morris...
Views: 533   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 14, 2016 10:37am
by Stefan Leyland
HELP!! How do i put a link on a post?
I cant work it out, Im trying to put this up https://youtu.be/aoKmj-CaNjI but it wont work...
Views: 350   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 13, 2016 9:36pm
by stefan Leyland
OS Maps vs ViewRanger
Hi All, I'd like to plan my route online, but am having a hard time figuring out which is better- OS Maps, where I guess I'd need a one-year subscription to access the maps, or View Ranger, where I could get the discounted set that would cover the challenge area....
Views: 956   Replies: 10
Last Post: Dec 13, 2016 8:18pm
by Melissa
National 3 Peaks Challenge
I'll be heading back to Scotland for my second crossing and figured I'd up the difficulty level by doing the National 3 Peaks Challenge from May 26-28th. The 26th is only a group meeting so there is no walking that day (it's my recovery day from the TGOC). For those...
Views: 769   Replies: 18
Last Post: Dec 12, 2016 1:30pm
by Brian Gruber
g
Gordie
chargers
Hello chaps, Good chance I won't be challenging this year (last I heard I was 30th or so on the standby). However - I'm wondering about getting a portable charger for the long walks and looking for any advice. (Well wondering about asking someone to buy it for my...
Views: 1183   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 11, 2016 5:59pm
by Peter Goddard
Mr Walkers TGOC 2016 - The Final Chapter - Braemar to Kinnaber Links
The final Chapter Braemar to Kinnaber Links
Views: 338   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 10, 2016 12:26am
by Andrew W
Small Plastic Bottles
A handy tip for folk who need small plastic bottles to store meths, whisky, liquid soap etc., I buy mine, in bulk from naturallythinking.com Last me a few years and are very cheap compared to high street prices. I've got nothing to do with the Compa...
Views: 573   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 9, 2016 8:09pm
by Rob willis
Mr W's TGOC 2016 Days 7 to 9 (Schiehallion to Braemar)
This was a mighty fine (WET!!!!!!!!) couple of days The music is for Hump3 - Bangs Lame baby a sweet sound :-) Days 7 to 9
Views: 325   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 8, 2016 10:10pm
by Andrew W
Crossing R Meig in Glen Fhiodhaig (East Monar area)?
I am in the final planning stage, beginning at Strathcarron, and I'd like to cross the R Meig at around NH163484 or a kilometre east at NH172487, where there are paths on the map but no bridge shown. Heading S down Allt an Amise to Loch Monar. Does anyone know if thi...
Views: 424   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 7, 2016 1:52pm
by Marian Parsons
B&B or Hostel in Inverness
Any B&B or Hostel near (or not too far from) the Bus and Train Station that you could recommend for one night ? Thanks in advance, Marc
Views: 356   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 6, 2016 8:46pm
by Peter Goddard
Spittal of Glenshee to Braemar
Hi, Our route is tending to take us further south than the fleshpots of Braemar and Callater, but we do love those fleshpots so. I know Rosie would be mortified if she did not meet up with everyone, so the question is does anyone know a way of getting some form of...
Views: 484   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 6, 2016 1:13pm
by DickieF
Spittal of Glenshee to Glen Prosen query
I am exploring the possible routes from Spittal of Glenshee via Glenshee Lodge and Loch Beanie, Glen Beanie, Glen Isla, Fergus and onwards to Glen Prosen, but am a mite unsure of the ridge via Craig Lair, Mid Hill, Tarmach Cairn, Broom Hill and down to Glack of Balqu...
Views: 525   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 3, 2016 12:54pm
by Lindy Griffiths
Werewolves of The Upper Dulnain - route planning
Once again The Werewolves of The Upper Dulnain extend a warm welcome to all Challengers. Full Moon falls on May 10th, and by the time that Challengers pass by we will have returned to some semblance of normality. If your route passes our way, do take in our Interp...
Views: 650   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 2, 2016 8:41pm
by Humphrey Weightm...
Want a wind farm-free crossing? You need this:
Most Ordnance Survey maps are hopelessly out of date when it comes to wind farms (as is the map above) So, following on from the thread "Crossing the Monadhliath" I've written a post with links to maps that show every wind farm in the entire Challenge Area -...
Views: 744   Replies: 10
Last Post: Dec 1, 2016 9:14pm
by Tom
Glen Clova Camping
I seem to remember being told that the estate now recommend people to camp in one space, somewhere near a quarry? Does anyone have a grid reference? Clover Hotel is full !
Views: 714   Replies: 11
Last Post: Nov 30, 2016 11:18am
by Willie Todd
Black Friday bargains
Anyone looking for a small (i.e. 119 cm long and 310g) Thermorest X-Therm can buy one at half price £54.48 post free on Alpine Trek.co.uk (That'll be another 120g saved! and warmer.) www.alpinetrek.co.uk/
Views: 502   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 30, 2016 12:19am
by john donohoe
Fort William Sleeper, Thursday 11 May
Public information announcement. I have just booked the last 1st class sleeper berth on the Fort William sleeper for the night of Thursday 11 May. Standard class is still available, but filling up fast. If you are intending to travel on this train and haven'...
Views: 373   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 28, 2016 10:53am
by Jeremy Burrows
Bridges in Glen Kinglass - are any missing
Does anybody know the state of the bridges in Glen Kinglass currently? In particular I'm looking at the bridge at NN 152 368.
Views: 476   Replies: 8
Last Post: Nov 27, 2016 5:06pm
by Brian
j
Jean P
Ca-du Ford
Hello, Has anyone crossed the Water of Ailnack at 136 135 ? Thank you.
Views: 400   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 25, 2016 7:56pm
by Colin Crawford
What to do now?
Ladies and Gentleman, What am I to do? I have plotted my way from Strathcarron to Montrose. The Route Sheet is full of detail, I have checked everything... My only hope is that my Vetter will annihilate it all. If not, how will I fill the evenings the next months?...
Views: 774   Replies: 15
Last Post: Nov 25, 2016 7:44pm
by Phil Lambert
GLEN DYE WIND FARM PROPOSAL
Challengers may wish to read this: Scoping report for wind farm (Click on that, it's a link) The wind farm, consisting of 40 turbines up to 150m high (that's nigh on 500 feet high!) will be situated on the Fasque and Glendye Estates, (both owned and managed by...
Views: 1553   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 24, 2016 8:19pm
by Brian
Cumberlands Campsite Fort Augustus
Any thoughts from anyone on this campsite? Seems to be the only one I can find in Fort Augustus, but I can't get hold of anyone there and I've found some bad reviews on line. Does anyone know of another one in the locale?
Views: 409   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 24, 2016 3:54pm
by Chrissie Crowthe...
j
Justin
Ben Adler vs Aonach Beag
If considering a high route after Loch Ossian, would you choose Ben Adler or Aonach Beag? Which is more scenic, more of a "classic TGO traverse" (if there is such a thing)?
Views: 367   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 23, 2016 9:20pm
by Mark Robertson
Guide to the Deeside Way
Challengers going east from Ballater may find my guide to the Deeside Way useful - I've updated it for 2017. Down load from this link It goes from Aberdeen to Ballater but if you walk backwards it should be OK Ian
Views: 406   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 23, 2016 9:11pm
by Mark Robertson
King of the (Scottish) hill
Came across this article while looking into routes for next year's TGO. Makes for interesting reading - especially the re-wilding of the glens. The estate chap at the Glen Feshie bothy in May reckoned the estate had culled 5,000 deer over two years. It would be ha...
Views: 340   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 23, 2016 12:05am
by John Jacklin
Pictures of finishing places between Aberdeen and Montrose
It's my evening for updating stuff so I've updated my pictorial guide of places to finish between Aberdeen and Montrose. Aberdeen to Stonehaven Stonehaven and Dunnotar Crawton to Nether Warbuton Ian
Views: 349   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 22, 2016 11:10pm
by Ian Sommerville
Oban to Taynuilt
Can anyone tell me whether there is still a footbridge at about 017315 crossing from Taynuilt towards the smokery? I can't see it on google earth. Or do people have to go to Bridge of Awe?
Views: 456   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 22, 2016 8:20pm
by Kirsten Paterson
Aonach Mor from the North - route suggestion?
I'm looking to pop over Aonach Mor on my route, but from Glen Spean to the north (snow conditions dependent). I'd ideally like to avoid the Nevis lift area. Has anybody climbed from that side, possibly via Stob an Chul-Choire ? Is that likely to be a goer in mid-May??
Views: 350   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 22, 2016 10:30am
by John Sanderson
j
Justin
Fort William hostel
Any recommendations on a place to stay in Fort William where we're likely to run into other Challengers?
Views: 335   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 21, 2016 10:31am
by Kirsten Paterson
Mr Walkers TGOC 2016 Days 4 to 6 Tyndrum to Schiehallion
This is a long one. It has loud music It has rude words It may or may not bear any resemblance to what actually happened. But there are pretty pictures of big hills TGOC 2016 Days 4 to 6 Tyndrum to below Schiehallion
Views: 304   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 20, 2016 8:35pm
by Andrew W
OS Map number and Grid Reference
Hi there, I'm planning my route with RouteBuddy. It's going well (before vetting :-)) but I can't work out how to convert something like +57.4043 -4.9010 to OS Map number and Grid reference. I must be a very bad Google-user, but I really am lost... Help please!...
Views: 467   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 20, 2016 7:41pm
by Andre Hilhorst
Monadhliath - what have I been missing ?
So far I've pretty much avoided the Monadhliath, put off to a degree by photo's of bulldozed tracks, wind farms and endless miles of peat. I'll be honest, I normally prefer the high peaks, corries and ridges in other areas. But I must be missing something, so many pe...
Views: 424   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 19, 2016 7:40pm
by John Jocys
Anyone else having issues downloading S Highlands map into ViewRanger?
I swallowed the pill offered and bought the £20 maps encompassing the Challenge area from ViewRanger. I even figured out how to load the App onto my iPad and 2 of the maps without drama. Then problems arose with S Highlands, it gets so far and then says the se...
Views: 257   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 19, 2016 6:18pm
by Julie Munkeby
Another bloomin' load of waffle about crossing Scotland - 2016 Ardrishaig to Tyndrum Days 1-3
Late this year. Just had too much on... So, here is what I remember in my head about the 1st 3 days of this years TGOC. Where you there? Let me know who you were will you! ;-) 2016 Days 1 to 3 Ardrishaig to Tyndrum via Ben Lui
Views: 356   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 19, 2016 12:17pm
by Andrew W
A complete account of an incomplete crossing
I have now completed my write up of the 2016 Challenge, which can be read here: https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=384654847778959152#allposts (You'll have to copy and paste that into your browsers' address bar, I'm afraid, as I'm not clever enough to cre...
Views: 502   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 19, 2016 10:15am
by John Jocys
Map of Maps
One of the hardest things about putting a route together is identifying the OS map sheets and satisfying the Venerable Vetters. Fear ye not! This clicky link here takes you to a very wonderful Map of Maps. You can drill down to 1:50K mapping and all will be well....
Views: 548   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 19, 2016 8:19am
by Jeremy Burrows
r
Rose H
First timer
Grief I am excited to be selected but would like to give more experienced challengers the opportunity to pass on some words of wisdom about any aspect of the challenge now before I have the chance to make any mistakes about route, kit, etc etc. Thanks
Views: 772   Replies: 14
Last Post: Nov 18, 2016 7:13pm
by Melissa
j
Justin
Ben Nevis
I did a quick search through the forum here and was surprised to find relatively little discussion of including Ben Nevis in a Challenge route. If planning a crossing that goes near Ben Nevis, is it advisable to include an ascent? I'm thinking of this both along...
Views: 873   Replies: 21
Last Post: Nov 18, 2016 12:06pm
by Terry
Kingussie
It is anticipated we will be stopping for 1 night in Kingussie. We are considering the Tipsy Laird for accommodation, can anyone advise if it's OK or otherwise recommend a good B&B. In which case we would be looking for 2 x twin rooms. Appreciate any help...
Views: 552   Replies: 7
Last Post: Nov 18, 2016 10:36am
by Andrew W
Spring Gathering 2017
Alan Hardy has once again booked the Snake Pass Inn in Derbyshire for the Spring Gathering. It will take place over the weekend of March 3rd - 5th. It is open to all Challengers including those who will be on their first crossing this year and anyone who might wan...
Views: 351   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 18, 2016 9:49am
by Andrew W
g
Gavin
Edzell to Montrose
I'm currently in planning for the 2017 TGO route. One finishing option is down Glen Esk to Edzell then onto Montrose. There doesnt seem to be much in the way of paths etc from Edzell and looks like a fair amount of road bashing. Anyone done this, and have any...
Views: 683   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 16, 2016 6:43pm
by Brian
TGOC 2016 - Oban to Ethie Haven - My write-up
I've finally got round to writing up my report of this year's crossing from Oban to Ethie Haven. The story starts here and you can then step through all 14 daily episodes. If you're looking for tales of derring do ..... look elsewhere. This is a story of hop...
Views: 441   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 16, 2016 10:41am
by John J
j
Justin
Fife Arms to be open?
I was just looking at the Fife Arms website to see if they will be open in time for the 2017 TGO Challenge but it looks like there is no update. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge that might help me decide whether or not to include Braemar in my route. I vis...
Views: 541   Replies: 9
Last Post: Nov 15, 2016 6:55pm
by Adrian
j
Justin
historic mining towns within the Challenge boundaries
For the 2017 crossing I'll have a friend joining me who spent years working in the mining industry and is still a huge mining buff. I was thinking that it would be quite a special experience for him to visit a mining town during our crossing, historic or active. Are...
Views: 424   Replies: 7
Last Post: Nov 14, 2016 10:11pm
by john donohoe
Thanks Al
You know what for. I've made appropriate corrections and deleted your comment.
Views: 352   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 14, 2016 10:10pm
by Jeremy Burrows
Ballater Camp Site
Ballater Caravan Park was devasted by flooding caused by Storm Frank in December 2015. With the help of various funding bodies, local businesses and many individuals, the first phase refurbishment was opened on 13 May 2016. just in time for the Challenge and an area...
Views: 578   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 13, 2016 9:24pm
by Peter Stickler
Inspired? - You won't be. Mr Walkers 2015 TGOC (somewhat late), well, MOST of it!
Shiel Bridge to Challybeate Springs A slight overlap here & a second take at part of the trip Fort Augustus to Kingussie Kingussie to Water of Caiplaich Cheese and Wine Water of Caiplich to Braemar Braemar to tarfside 2016 and the end of this coming s...
Views: 480   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 13, 2016 9:07pm
by Jeremy Burrows
Viewranger offer
Just to clarify the offer in the Event Details from Viewranger is to purchase digital rather than paper maps. If you haven't found it yet it is worth taking look. Essentially they are offering the whole of the Challenge area for under £20. The maps can be...
Views: 436   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 12, 2016 10:29am
by Ali & Sue
j
Justin
groundsheet or bathtub floor?
On my first Challenge I took a fully enclosed tent. This time I'm thinking of a floorless shelter (like the Duomid or Trailstar). Would a sheet of plastic (e.g. polycryo or tyvek) suffice or is it better to have the additional protection of a bathtub floor (like thos...
Views: 724   Replies: 9
Last Post: Nov 11, 2016 2:18pm
by John Sanderson
Sunrise/set position calculator
Yes, the daze in May are long and the nights are short. But just where/when/how exactly? Take a look at This very wonderful Clicky Link and while away the winter hours whilst toasting marshmallows, as you do . . . Hours of fun!
Views: 384   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 10, 2016 7:49pm
by Aaron MacLeod
Surf's Up!
Fine. This is one for hard-core Weather Fiends - but in fact could be germane to Challengers as an additional weather aid. Click right here for some very wild charts, oh yea Free to view version of the site gives you Swell/Period/Wind/Pressure/Sea Temp. Not too sh...
Views: 386   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 9, 2016 6:58pm
by Humphrey Weightm...
Hyperlink to Payment
Please Select link Below for payment. http://shop.kelsey.co.uk/product/TGOCHALL17/
Views: 307   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 8, 2016 3:42pm
by Jeremy Burrows
I'm in!
Thank you to the walking Gods! I have a place - and have managed the payment 'clicky stuff', so have paid my dues at the altar. Yippee!
Views: 631   Replies: 15
Last Post: Nov 8, 2016 3:37pm
by Jeremy Burrows
Desole
Sadly I will not be Challenging next year. Number 71 on the Standby list. Never mind It means I can stay in Val d'Isere to the end of the season. I'm having a gap year. I've rented a small chalet in Val for the 2016/17 season (5 months!) and was going to come bac...
Views: 481   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 8, 2016 2:23pm
by Jeremy Burrows
The standby list
I've started a new thread where hopefully we can find out how many people have dropped out and what our chances are of getting on the challenge are. It also helps people plan their walks for next year because if I can't get on the challenge I'll look at doing the Cap...
Views: 442   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 7, 2016 7:06pm
by Ali & Sue
Paying the Entry Fee
I can not get the link to work to pay the entry fee. Is it just me being a dummy or is it not working?
Views: 491   Replies: 9
Last Post: Nov 6, 2016 9:49pm
by Rose H
Payment link
Everyone should now have an email from us. Congratulations to all those with places and commiserations to those who have an anxious wait on the Standby List. It appears the payment link in the email doesn't work for some people. If you click here or copy and past...
Views: 290   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 6, 2016 8:59pm
by Ali & Sue
Draft Kit List
My draft kit list, your comments/recommendations most welcome: 8.7kgs + consumables = 11.7kgs Total View it here:Kit List
Views: 1064   Replies: 31
Last Post: Nov 4, 2016 5:51pm
by Simon Conrad
Crossing the Monadhliath
Hi there, I am so looking forward tot the 2017 Challenge.... My plan is to start from Strathcarron, because I have never been to that part of Scotland before, The route to Drumnadrochit is not very hard to plan, but.... once having crossed Loch Ness the Monadhlia...
Views: 905   Replies: 9
Last Post: Nov 1, 2016 10:51am
by Andre Hilhorst
Ben Nevis on Tripadvisor
You couldn't make it up. Click here for a one-star review of the ascent. And relax . . .
Views: 695   Replies: 10
Last Post: Oct 30, 2016 4:12pm
by Des
Laggan
UK government policy in action in Laggan won't be welcome to challengers, I suspect. https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2016/10/highland-clearances/ Hope the link works. Vanessa
Views: 574   Replies: 6
Last Post: Oct 30, 2016 10:05am
by Lindy Griffiths
Applications for TGOC2017 - only a few days left
There are only a few days left - the deadline for entries is midnight on Monday 31st October - so if you are tempted go to http://www.tgochallenge.co.uk/2017-event/entry-details/ and complete the form. We have had the biggest entry for several years so there will be...
Views: 363   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 29, 2016 5:56pm
by Ali & Sue
route planning
Has enyone got across loch ewe at grid 048 214 sheet 50 , north port, by the hotel or if anybody has any suggestion or phone numbers ? ps, terrys nutty idea ! many thanks sam
Views: 729   Replies: 8
Last Post: Oct 28, 2016 3:49pm
by Terry
Meeting Challengers in Unexpected Places
You do sometimes meet Challengers in the most unlikely places, don't you? On Saturday, I was just taking my seat to play in the Bury St Edmund's Chess Congress (yes, I did win a prize ... but no, it was NOT enough for me to be able to stand everyone a drink at the...
Views: 468   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 28, 2016 2:47pm
by Terry
Camp Footwear
My current solution for footwear around camp consists of the following combination: 1. Montane Prism Bootie - 110g 2. Liner sock - 62g 3. Sealskin sock - 156g Total weight: 328g Has anyone got any other suggestions that provide similar warmth/dryness?
Views: 1035   Replies: 23
Last Post: Oct 27, 2016 8:01am
by John J
Bridges over the Feshie
Doing a bit of planning. I've rather lost track of the bridge situation on the Feshie. What's the latest situation on bridges and sensible places to ford? Thanks.
Views: 434   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 26, 2016 1:43pm
by Robin
Pait Lodge Camp
Next year will be my tenth and I'm planning a route that goes over some of the best bits. One of my start options is Strathcarron. The first time I went this way I walked past Bendroniag Lodge before heading over open ground from the East end of Loch Calavie, bog hop...
Views: 488   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 21, 2016 6:38pm
by Humphrey Weightm...
water contamination/illness/filtration
Anyone had any problems with water purity/ on a crossing? I know about Sawyers filters, Aqua Mira etc BTW I've never had a problem despite drinking below a rotting Stag in the burn (I tried pulling it out but the flesh just dropped off it)... nice ...............
Views: 605   Replies: 6
Last Post: Oct 20, 2016 10:11pm
by Terry
On your marks, get set, apply!
It’s that time of year again! The October issue of The Great Outdoors magazine is published today. We’ve had a sneak preview of the eight pages of Challenge coverage which include some wonderfully atmospheric and entertaining recollections of this ye...
Views: 1001   Replies: 17
Last Post: Oct 20, 2016 10:15am
by Will R
OS Great Britain - £50 in MM sale
Memory Map sale has the 2016 Ordnance Survey Landranger 1:50,000 mapping for all of Great Britain for just £50. Click HERE It's a good product - I'd be lost without it! Some other goodies too, like hd maps, GB Explorer 1:25000 and the Spot emergency G...
Views: 400   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 19, 2016 5:09pm
by Phil Lambert
My 2016 Challenge Diary
I've finally completed my 2016 TGO Challenge Diary of Phil Lambert's and my crossing, from Application to the Challenge Dinner, and have pulled all the posts together into a Home Page. You can find the complete diary by clicking on the link below: TGO Challe...
Views: 521   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 18, 2016 5:13pm
by Jeremy Burrows
xmas prezzies
hi all just to say that both for sale bags are regular length and width. bt
Views: 400   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 13, 2016 11:33am
by Barry Turton
Xmas prezzies
Hi all, Have 2 PHD sleeping bags for sale. A minim 400 mummy shape.in blue, no zip, rated to -5.New Cost £300.Used on 1 tgoc crossing,excellent condition,stuff and storage sacks.weight 590g.Asking £150 inc p&p. A custom made mummy shape -10(900 fill)...
Views: 359   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 12, 2016 1:59pm
by Barry Turton
Bothy-hopping all the way
My intended route uses bothies the entire way across except for (a) Dalwhinnie bunkhouse (although I may try to eliminiate even that expense by arranging a stay with a friend in Dalwhinnie) and (b) the final night before the coast when I shall stay at the Marykirk Ho...
Views: 818   Replies: 12
Last Post: Oct 9, 2016 10:45pm
by Andrew W
Sneak Preview: TGO Song Demo
Over the last couple of years rumours have spread about the TGO Song. Some of you have even joined in a chorus or two, usually as we march through the Fetteresso towards the coast. This is hopefully a collaborative project with a number of our musical walkers cont...
Views: 1099   Replies: 28
Last Post: Oct 9, 2016 10:04pm
by Terry
Rain covers
I need a new pack. I've always used a rucksack liner, but there seems to be a trend towards providing a built-in rain cover, which implies that I won't need a liner anymore. So, raincovers - do they really work? Or if my new pack has one, should I cut off the cove...
Views: 580   Replies: 17
Last Post: Oct 7, 2016 11:48am
by Rich
Anyone starting, or previously started, from Ardrishaig?
Planning to start from Ardrishaig in 2017 - any useful tips would be much appreciated for getting through the forests to the happy Corbett and Graham hunting grounds of the Arrochar Alps, Lochgoilhead, Luss Hills and the Trossachs. Also, is taking the ferry across Lo...
Views: 772   Replies: 16
Last Post: Oct 4, 2016 5:00pm
by Paul Southward
Scottish Reunion - a big thank-you to Les & Issy
A big thank-you to Les & Issy for organising yet another excellent Scottish Reunion. Thanks to their efforts and organisation it was a wonderful weekend in Pitlochry and they even laid on some fantastic weather too! After five years of organising the Event they f...
Views: 295   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 3, 2016 12:19pm
by Ali & Sue
The Balmacaan
Did anyone go though the Balmacaan Forest this year? Have the pylon contractors moved in yet?
Views: 423   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 2, 2016 12:13pm
by Andrew W
Garva Bridge
Hi everyone, sorry I missed you all this year, retired at Dalwhinnie! Anyway, just back from a walk and noticed Garva Bridge area often used by challengers now enclosed by a deer fence. There is room for only a couple of tents now close to the bridge. Was this so...
Views: 788   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 29, 2016 12:42pm
by Andy Howell
What's the average route length?
Hi all I was just wondering what the average route length and average number of days each Challenger spends walking are. Also, what sort of distance would be considered a long route? Just curious that's all!
Views: 520   Replies: 7
Last Post: Sep 29, 2016 11:12am
by Bart Horeman
Glen Prosen to Lunan Bay.
Hi Folks, Just plotting and planning for 2017! Have worked a half decent route but find we may be stranded with a lot of road walking between Glen Prosen and Lunan Bay. Are any sections of the disused railway line between Forfar and Friockheim walkable? Can you wal...
Views: 609   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 27, 2016 4:20pm
by Doug Brown
Hiking Poles
Hi To all I need some expert advice on replacing my hiking pole. The one I use is a Komperdell Aluminium pole with twist adjustments. The head can be unscrewed and used as a monopod for a camera. Something I use occasionally. I purchased it in 2004, and have u...
Views: 689   Replies: 10
Last Post: Sep 23, 2016 8:43pm
by Martin Rye
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19