Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
k
Karin
Explosions ?
Has anybody heard the frequently recurring explosions in Ashton ? And if you have do you know what it is ? They were going off this morning at 9am.
Views: 217   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 4, 2013 12:03am
by Karin
Beat it team
The Beat it team will be in Ashton from the 13th to the 17th May. If you know of any areas that need cleaning up please contact me on 736216 or e-mail N.Ash@wiganmbc.gov.uk anfd I will let the team know.
Views: 219   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 1, 2013 10:39pm
by Ian
art group
how to take part in ashton festival we are an art group based in the salvation army community centre and would like to take part in the frstival but dont know who to cotact can you help marian
Views: 219   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 26, 2013 1:01pm
by Karin
j
jenny
Cromptons pond
Hi does anyone know if you can fish in Crompton’s pond and if so, do you have to get permission from anyone? Cheers
Views: 360   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 25, 2013 11:59am
by Gerry
Come back Dougie.
Where's this? Not sure, but might not be in Ashton, but does have a connection close by. :) [/URL] [/URL]
Views: 244   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 24, 2013 5:44pm
by Myrtle Creamcake
Found it to late
--------------Sorry I didn't know about this------------------------- In the latter stages of the Forum pressures from members of a political organisation calling itself the 'Community Action Party' combined with a breakaway campaigning group adopting the name 'F...
Views: 378   Replies: 15
Last Post: Apr 14, 2013 9:00pm
by Robin
d
Dougie
Liverpool Road Garden
This is a nice welcome to Ashton for anyone coming off the M6, plus if your going for a nice walk keep going into the Skitters wood
Views: 281   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 14, 2013 1:21pm
by Ian
d
Dougie
Stubshaw Garden
I would like to upload some of my photo's for you to keep on your site of the garden at Stubshaw cross, this is an Old Thread I found but didn't wont to add the photos to it Photo before the work started The finished garden to make photo's bigge...
Views: 160   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 13, 2013 12:34pm
by Dougie
Lakes from the passed
Good Morning everyone lol, well that's if anyone lives in Ashton-in-Makerfield and looks on this site now, to me as a new comer to the site am I correct in thinking people only look every few days, Is it O.K.to ask this question as the younger element of Ashton ma...
Views: 403   Replies: 24
Last Post: Apr 12, 2013 5:14pm
by Myrtle Creamcake
Where in Ashton
Did I take this photo,no clue given And this
Views: 465   Replies: 32
Last Post: Apr 12, 2013 4:56pm
by Myrtle Creamcake
i
Ian
Co-op road, Bryn
If ever there was a deterrent not to go to a shop the road from Bryn Rd across the car park has got to be the best. Who wants to risk damage to their car just to get there. I am amazed that the Co-op haven't done anything about this even if it's not their responsi...
Views: 446   Replies: 21
Last Post: Apr 7, 2013 1:47pm
by Dougie
s
Sue
Skitters Wood
Does anyone know who owns the wood? My query really concerns the piece of land that goes up to the bottom of R L Hughes school field. This is a lovely shortcut to school and it's a pleasure to see so many use it when the weather is dry but once the rain comes it's...
Views: 497   Replies: 17
Last Post: Apr 10, 2013 11:43am
by Dougie
Things you see round the Ashton area
Anyone know any history to this house, add a photo to this thread it may get there's looking and talking
Views: 347   Replies: 10
Last Post: Apr 8, 2013 10:05pm
by Dougie
k
Karin
Ashton-in-Makerfield Posada Christmas Eve
Everybody is welcome to join us for this event again in 2012. We will meet at Hilton Street Car Park, Ashton-in-Makerfield (near Aldi) at 3.45pm on Christmas Eve Monday 24th December 2012. We will have a real pony and people will be dressed in biblical clothing. '...
Views: 338   Replies: 10
Last Post: Apr 8, 2013 7:56am
by Karin
m
Mary
Ashton traffic.
Can anyone explain to me why the traffic lights at the Liverpool Road, Warrington Road, Gerrard Street and Bryn Street junction have no pedestrian crossings? These are very busy roads, and poor old pedestrians have to take their lives in their hands, and try to look...
Views: 249   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 7, 2013 2:24pm
by Dougie
Just a bit of fun
I've a few lol well allot of new and old photo's of people from the Ashton area that I've taken over the years some that are still with us and some that as passed away, could I try this out on here to see if you can put any names to the people on the photo's, you nev...
Views: 277   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 7, 2013 2:07pm
by Dougie
Old Photo
Do you remember this old building on Wigan Road that was pulled down in 1958 If you would like to make any photo on here bigger, Hold down the Ctrl button and use the scroll wheel to zoom in or out To go back to your normal view, Click the Ctrl button and t...
Views: 219   Replies: 11
Last Post: Apr 7, 2013 1:52pm
by Dougie
p
peterp
star hotel
Talking about pubs of the past round ashton ,we wondered when the star on wigan road closed and when it was pulled down.
Views: 405   Replies: 6
Last Post: Mar 31, 2013 5:44pm
by Robin
Ashton Baths.
Can anyone tell me when the old Ashton Baths stopped being used , and where they used to be . I visited them as a child in the 1970's and would like to know please ? Thank you for any help .
Views: 259   Replies: 5
Last Post: Mar 30, 2013 9:23am
by Dougie
Shopping
I have just been into A-IN-Makerfield town centre and was very impressed by the shops you have there,it's like Earlestown used to be like years ago.
Views: 185   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 30, 2013 9:06am
by Dougie
f
Frank
Ashton Town FC
Just wondered what people think about their local football club now that there is a reversal in fortunes since John Brownrigg became the manager? If the club is to continue improving they will need to generate a fair bit of money. One way to do that is through sponso...
Views: 220   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 29, 2013 7:35pm
by Dougie
Unify Credit Union
Unify Credit Union has a collection point at Ashton Library each Monday morning 9.30am - 10.30am. The credit union offers savings facilities for adults and children and a low cost loan facility. As a financial co-operative once the bills have been paid we pay a div...
Views: 164   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 28, 2013 9:35pm
by Ian
Any idea on this photo
Can any of you throw any light on this, it was found covered with soil under the trees that are round the greens at Garswood Hall Bowling Club
Views: 172   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 28, 2013 5:50pm
by Ian
a
Amos
Wheelie bin thefts
There have been reports of wheelie bins (any colour) disappearing overnight. Anyone heard of this?
Views: 228   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 11, 2013 10:40am
by peterp
k
Karin
Friends of Ashton Mosaic
In Ashton Library today we are inviting children to join us to make a community mosaic. The mosaic, when completed, will be erected permanently on a concrete plinth at Liverpool Road Community Garden in Ashton-in-Makerfield. This is a FREE event for all childre...
Views: 223   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 16, 2013 8:40am
by Karin
Power Outage
Power outages affecting parts of Ashton yesterday evening and this morning are evidently being caused by a problem at St Helens. Latest information posted at enwl.co.uk as follows: We have a high voltage fault affecting St helens. We believe that this affects yo...
Views: 419   Replies: 14
Last Post: Feb 1, 2013 1:46pm
by Amos
Merricks
Hi.I like many have been looking back and trying to trace my roots. From census records I've managed to find out that my family lived to Ashton from around 1860. My Great great grandfather move from Hunston in Derbyshire and married Mary..? His son Thomas married Mar...
Views: 229   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 30, 2013 4:06pm
by Myrtle Creamcake
k
Karin
Refuse bins
In the street where I live there are overflowing black bins and black bin bags all over the pavement. Including bags containing soiled nappies which will not be collected for FOUR weeks. (due to last weeks snow) The green bin men have just been. About 25% of the...
Views: 214   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 28, 2013 12:38pm
by Doris L
Ashton Shops
Each time I go shopping around Ashton, I get more and more depressed at the state of the place. The row of shops from Barclays on the corner up to Ashton Library look an absolute disgrace. How on earth can people let this start to look like a derelict shambles. An...
Views: 204   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 23, 2013 11:37am
by Karin
Ashton Carnival 1970's
Can anyone please tell me what date Ashton Carnival would have been held on in 1976 ? I think it was alway's held in June , but would be very grateful to know the date please ? Thank you !
Views: 186   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 23, 2013 6:06am
by Rod Prescott
a
Amos
Council Tax
According to an announcement last week, Councils will no longer be able to collect Council Tax by 10 instalments from April this year.It was said that this was done to enable Councils to collect the tax before the end of the financial year and it was done for their o...
Views: 255   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 16, 2013 6:26pm
by Amos
Cheaper gas/electricity for local residents?
I picked up a leaflet about this scheme whilst shopping in Bolton the other day. Wigan MBC is listed as a partner organisation but I haven't seen any local publicity about it. Here's how the scheme works: 1) Register at www.gmfairenergy.com by 28 January 2013...
Views: 191   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 16, 2013 10:09am
by Amos
k
Karin
Old Ashton cine film 1962 - 1972
HAPPY NEW YEAR Somebody has posted some crackin cine film footage on You Tube which includes Ashton-in-Makerfield from 1962 - 1972. It is 1st Ashton Lord Gerard Scouts. A lot of it is filmed abroad but there is also a lot of footage shot in Ashton too. Some of...
Views: 183   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 1, 2013 1:19pm
by Karin
Family History - Winstanley/Sudworth
My grandmother was born in Ashton-in-Makerfield, Lancashire in 1893. I know the county boundaries have changed, So I was looking for a map. I got to your site and saw the names Winstanley and Sudworth. My grandmother was Sarah Jane Winstanley, born to Samuel Winstanl...
Views: 298   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 26, 2012 2:07am
by Emile Franco
Harmed Robbery Ashton Tarn Cener
Shot guns and machete's. Discuss.
Views: 302   Replies: 7
Last Post: Dec 22, 2012 1:31pm
by Myrtle Creamcake
Amateur Football
If you or anyone you know is interested in playing amateur football at open age level then have a look at the Ashtonians Football club Website. They currently run two open age teams in the Lnacashire amateur league and are looking to continue to recruit new players....
Views: 175   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 19, 2012 2:59pm
by Ashtonians
c
chris
electronic cigarettes
just wnat to know if anyone else has had any luck withe these things, ive been on mine since feb, i could get off it if i wanted, but its not harming me in any way so im in no rush to stop using it. Anyone thinking of giving up for new year give them a go, got mine f...
Views: 375   Replies: 13
Last Post: Dec 17, 2012 3:47pm
by chris
a
Amos
A joke too far
I was saddened to hear that the nurse involved in the hoax call about the Duchess of Cambridge has been found dead -presumably taking her own life. It was an unfunny "joke" in the first place . I wonder how the Aussie press and the radio station responsible for the h...
Views: 318   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 15, 2012 12:18am
by chris
k
Karin
Harris Hawk at Skitters Wood
Has anybody lost a Harris Hawk ? For the past couple of days it has been in Skitters Wood. It is evidently a captive bird that has escaped because it has leather straps dangling from each leg. I watched it all afternoon today with magpies dancing all round try...
Views: 201   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 13, 2012 12:19pm
by Karin
Another charity shop !!!
Wowee!! Another Charity shop opening. Apparently "Mind" has taken a ten year lease on the old Argos shop, now a newly opened Textile shop, whose lease unfortunately was for only six. What I don't understand is how can charity, relying on public goodwill, afford a t...
Views: 194   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 6, 2012 2:44pm
by Myrtle Creamcake
d
Denise
Police Elections - Moan
Once again RL Hughes is to be closed to be used as a polling station for the Police elections. Regardless of what i feel about the cost of this both in the election process and paying for a commisioner who will have very few powers, I now have to arrange childcare o...
Views: 311   Replies: 12
Last Post: Dec 1, 2012 3:32pm
by Karin
a
Amos
Is it me?
Puzzled by the fine this week of £110 for a cannabis smoking driver who crashed his car compared to a fine of £400 for dropping a cigarette end in Wigan.Am I missing something here - which offence is the more dangerous? (Interesting I just had to edit my or...
Views: 271   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 19, 2012 2:57am
by Alan
g
golfer
Old wall
Does anybody know the significance of the piece of old wall behind the bench in the gardens opposite St Oswalds church in Liverpool road?
Views: 194   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 18, 2012 4:24pm
by golfer
k
Karin
Another Collision Bryn St/Liverpool Rd/Warrington Rd/Gerard St
Yesterday at 3.30pm there was ANOTHER collision at the extremely busy Junction Bryn St / Liverpool Rd / Warrington Rd / Gerard St. Fortunately only the cars had a minor collision and nobody was hit on this occassion. There were several families from different Sch...
Views: 249   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 17, 2012 7:40pm
by Sue
Old Georges to be filled in?
Ive heard rumours that Old Georges Pond is to be filled in because residents are not happy about people fishing in it. Is this just a rumour? Was there something in the WEP about it?
Views: 270   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 16, 2012 11:12am
by Amos
k
Karin
Crazy Science Puppet Praise Party Duggie Dug Dug 6.10.2012
We are having a Crazy Science Puppet Praise Party at St Thomas Church this weekend. VENUE : St Thomas Church Warrington Road DATE : Saturday 6.10.2012 TIME : 5.00pm to 6.30pm Duggie Dug Dug AKA Douglas Horley is at St Thomas’ Church from 5-6.30pm with p...
Views: 346   Replies: 15
Last Post: Oct 13, 2012 6:09pm
by Amos
Public Bonfires/Firework Displays
If anyone is aware of public bonfires or firework displays occurring locally this year, I'd be grateful if they'd post details here. (I always seem to find out about them too late!) So far I've only heard about the Haigh Hall 'Bonfire Supper' event on 4 Nov.
Views: 329   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 13, 2012 1:48pm
by Clarkey
b
Bamboo
Fish shopping...
Is there anywhere to buy fish (to cook) in Ashton centre? I know there's a couple of butchers, but I can't think of where I might get hold of some salmon, etc. Perhaps the Co-op is best? The market is no use really, as it's only there on certain days. Please advise! :)
Views: 205   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 11, 2012 11:05am
by Adrian
i
Ian
New Uniform for Byrchall
Seems like the uniform is to be changed for BHS pupils from brown to claret. I am sure that the claret one will look fine but why change it?
Views: 471   Replies: 12
Last Post: Oct 5, 2012 4:34pm
by Edna Harris
Ashton Heath
Hi Everyone, The heath is looking fairly overgrown again. The paths have virtually healed-up too Rubbish is again being tipped and the bus-stop in a disgrace So today I emailed Nigel Ash (our Cuncillr) and asked him to look into what might becaome a wasteland a...
Views: 376   Replies: 9
Last Post: Sep 20, 2012 8:29pm
by sid
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Free Forum powered by Bravenet