Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
i
Ian
Police Parking
I saw one if the regular posters to this forum giving the police some advice on Saturday night. They were collecting their Indian and were parked on the double yellows and on the pavement. The posters' advice was civilly taken so I hear but it makes me wonder what...
Views: 393   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 7, 2008 1:44pm
by Chris
d
Darren
Bonfire Night
Does anybody know if there is a bonfire on Ashton Heath in the next days ?
Views: 415   Replies: 8
Last Post: Nov 6, 2008 11:41pm
by Moderator
d
Denise
Trick or Treaters
Just would like to know how many trick or treaters you have had. We have had a grand total of 2. Will now need to eat a lot of chocolate !
Views: 391   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 5, 2008 10:44am
by Mike
Butter Fingers
Anyone know what happened on gerrard street today at around rush hour? i came home from work through the town center and there were what seemed to be "i cant beleive its not butter" tubs squashed into the road outside KFC.. were my eyes playing tricks on me or did so...
Views: 365   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 4, 2008 12:17pm
by AndyH
'Lodge Lane'?
Hi On one of my walks over the weekend I came back down the East Lancs Rd and crossed over the fields ending up at Lodge Lane, this got me thinking that there must have been a building there at one time. Just across the entrance into Penny Lane there are some old...
Views: 417   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 1, 2008 11:18am
by Simon
Hallowe'en
Friends of Three Sisters are helping the Wigan Rangers run the annual spooky evening in the woods at Three Sisters (now fully booked), and Town Green Residents' Association are holding an event at Orchard Street. Whoo-hoo.
Views: 309   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 29, 2008 6:57pm
by Ian
i
Ian
Horses
What are the rules on horse riding on Viridor wood? Just been over there walking (not the 3 sisters side)with my son when two horses and riders came towards us at full gallop. Surely this is not supposed to happen. If any kids had been playing in the grass they'd...
Views: 414   Replies: 10
Last Post: Oct 29, 2008 2:45pm
by David M
Wetherspoons
Ashton Oct 29, 08 - 2:20 PM Wetherspoons Interesting place, and an asset to Ashton. A couple of us meet there each Wednesday morning and bump into all sorts of people. Today we met a St Helens couple. The husband once knew Fred Dibnah, and his wife is an...
Views: 298   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 29, 2008 2:33pm
by David M
skate park
I'm a teenager from ashton and as you probably know, teenagers hang out eveywhere in ashton now, but a few months ago things were looking up for us skateboarders and bmxers as the news of a new skatepark to be built in jubilee park. we have yet to see any plans in de...
Views: 244   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 29, 2008 10:58am
by David M
j
julian
rta
There has just been a fatal rta on Bolton Road near Bolton Road chippy it appears a biker is down.
Views: 380   Replies: 8
Last Post: Oct 25, 2008 11:01pm
by Olivia
Ashton Heath in the Fifties
Stumbled on to the Ashton Heath Residents Group Web Site. Glad to see the heath is still there. I Was born in Ashton and can remember many a sunny afternoon on Ashton Heath we youst to go for a picnic to the big hill. the picnic would consist of a Big bottle of...
Views: 370   Replies: 11
Last Post: Sep 3, 2008 12:15pm
by Gerald
j
Julian
Take Aways
Anyone any idea how many takeaways / sandwich shops we have in Ashton/Bryn?
Views: 295   Replies: 11
Last Post: Oct 24, 2008 5:04pm
by STEVEN FAIRHURST
d
DM
Ashton pubs
From Baines History of Lancashire 1824, the following pubs are listed. Interesting to see how many survive the centuries. Gives a certain reassurance to us beer drinkers :) VICTUALLERS Angel, Timothy Turton Bay Horse, Richard Occleshaw Britannia, Thomas Cromp...
Views: 349   Replies: 8
Last Post: Oct 24, 2008 4:45pm
by STEVEN FAIRHURST
Snails
Years ago I remember I never saw any snails in my garden. There was a small colony living on the wall by the sports shop in Princess Road, now demolished for Aldi, but they seemed a rarity locally. My wife worked in South Manchester, and snails used to crawl onto...
Views: 347   Replies: 6
Last Post: Oct 24, 2008 4:29pm
by STEVEN FAIRHURST
Inaugural AGM
Tonight SCYC are holding their Inaugural AGM at 7.30pm at Stubshaw Cross Labour Club, The group is going to elect their committee and sign there constitution, They have put a lot of work in setting this up. SCYC is the Youth Sub Group Of Raretara. All welcome.
Views: 232   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 16, 2008 10:50pm
by Andrede
d
Debbie
'Armoury Bank'
Has anyone else heard that a developer has bought the Armoury Bank land and building and proposes to knock it down? Is this building not listed?
Views: 455   Replies: 6
Last Post: Oct 16, 2008 10:49pm
by Andrede
My cousin, Philip Fairhurst
I am hoping so much my dear cousin is alive and well - but after his coming here nearly every year for a visit, he seems to have suddenly vanished and I'm more than a tad concerned. He is the son of Ron and Betty Fairhurst and has lived in Ashton-in-Makerfield all...
Views: 402   Replies: 13
Last Post: Oct 14, 2008 4:52pm
by Debbie Gaynor
r
Rose
Dentists
I had not realised the impact of dentists going private until today. A friend of mine needs a new denture but her dentist has gone private. He offered the following choices: implants costing £5000 which would also require an additional consultation fee of £...
Views: 289   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 12, 2008 6:53pm
by Rose
i
Ian
Noise from 3 Sisters racetrack
Taking a walk around the three sisters nature area has become ridiculous. The noise from the racetrack has made it so that you literally cannot hear people speak. The frequency at which the race track is now used is much greater than that of recent years and now a...
Views: 385   Replies: 7
Last Post: Oct 11, 2008 2:37am
by Ian
n
nero
s word
S A G O. senile ashton geriatrics organisation.
Views: 266   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 10, 2008 9:59pm
by Vic
Last Post
hi If the experiment goes wrong with the Hadron Collider, who will have the last post on this site? Whoever has that distinction we will never know, or will we? Alan
Views: 356   Replies: 8
Last Post: Oct 9, 2008 3:57pm
by Alan Edwards
r
Rose
Pronunciation
I have been watching Channel4 racing from Goodwood today where the (female) presenter said "Gidd afternoon from Giddwood" If you do choose to speak in this pretentious manner it should surely be" Gidd afternoon from Giddwidd" - sounds like another language innit.I ha...
Views: 414   Replies: 12
Last Post: Oct 9, 2008 3:54pm
by Alan Edwards
Intimidated by kids 2
There is a bus-stop outside the old folks home that used to be Evans School. There was a gang of 14-16 yr old kids there . Two of them were kicking a football from the bus-stop ,across the road , sometimes over passing cars , to hit the windows and shutters on...
Views: 469   Replies: 18
Last Post: Oct 8, 2008 11:04am
by chris
c
chris
does anyone remember?
i was walking home the other day past the kings arms when i noticed the corner of the building that had been chipped away by firemen when i was about 6, it was due to a lorry turning the corner on to liverpool road and getting stuck. I remember watching it with my mu...
Views: 323   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 8, 2008 10:49am
by chris
j
Julian
Old Posts
Are my eyes playing tricks on me or has there suddenly been a lot of old posts coming back up to the top? One from 2005.
Views: 256   Replies: 6
Last Post: Oct 7, 2008 11:41pm
by chris
Children at play
To the gentleman who sensors the content of this forum,isnt it about time you stopped the children, and thats all they are, adding silly comments about serious matters. To all the people who made fun of the gentleman who had his car stolen with the cane and hook i on...
Views: 460   Replies: 31
Last Post: Aug 24, 2008 5:29pm
by Section 8
d
David
Skatepark
BTT - Someone made a good point to me the other day. If CAP succeed in blocking the plan to use Jubilee Park, then seeing as BMX riders used to use the land in Liverpool Road by the Catholic Club, wouldn't this be a good site for the skatepark? It was blighted by...
Views: 329   Replies: 12
Last Post: Oct 7, 2008 2:57am
by Chris
Ashton-in-Makerfield "NEW LABOUR" Community Forum
The statement on the home page of this website QUOTE "The foundations of the Ashton Community Forum as a community association were created in January 1997 when members of Ashton and Golborne Labour Party Branch decided to create a non-political forum." UNQUOTE is a...
Views: 304   Replies: 10
Last Post: Apr 2, 2005 4:49am
by Matt
Skatepark
Hello, My names Matthew Andrews I’m 17 and I live in Ashton. Me and my friends love to go skateboarding but in Ashton we have no place to safely pursue our sport. This is quite sad as there are lots of other good sports facilities in Ashton, but even though...
Views: 473   Replies: 8
Last Post: Oct 7, 2008 2:34am
by Chris
n
nero
ashton population
how many people live in ashton, 20,000+ why do we only have 10-15 regular posters,mr moderator, what can we do to spread the word.
Views: 297   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 7, 2008 2:19am
by Chris
Denise
Anti-social behaviour strikes again - Woodedge estate on friday night. What do people get out of getting stoned and going around shouting and chanting outside people's houses at 3am. Having 2 young children, sleep is often a luxury and being able to lie in all...
Views: 573   Replies: 28
Last Post: Oct 7, 2008 1:59am
by Chris
A Rare Sight to bring tears to the eyes, Police
What a sight on Sunday night, the rarest in Ashton for a long time. I drove through Ashton town centre on Sunday night and saw 16 yes sixteen police officers on foot in yellow vests.Can someone explane to me where these police officers go every night of the week and...
Views: 410   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 7, 2008 1:37am
by Chris
r
Rose
Transformation
Shopping in Bolton on Friday, I went to the Ladies and was surprised to find it full of Asian teenagers. They were all changing the way they looked when they left home-applying lipstick, backcombing their hair, hoisting up their skirts. Presumably they will undo all...
Views: 276   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 6, 2008 10:36pm
by Section 8
o
Olivia
Ashton hospital
Does anyone have any info/photos on the old Ashton hospital in Bryn road? i.e when did it first open and what kind of hospital was it over the years. I can only remember it being more like a nursing home for the elderly in the 1960s early 70s. Someone said that ther...
Views: 312   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 6, 2008 3:25pm
by Olivia
s
Sam
Waste land behind police station on Old Road
Hi there, Does anybody know what the plans are for the waste land behind the police station on Old Road? Wouldn't it be nice to see it made into a fourth park for Ashton? I'm sure you can apply for grants/lottery funds for that type of community project. The s...
Views: 306   Replies: 7
Last Post: Oct 5, 2008 9:56pm
by Denise
j
Julian
Mr Mc
David did you send me an email regarding some saplings?
Views: 287   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 3, 2008 12:44pm
by Julian
This Saturday
Dont forget its The Big Tidy up at Stubshaw Cross this Saturday 27th September 2008 please visit www.raretara.co.uk. we are holding a BBQ afterwards for all the volunteers, If anyone has any burgers and buns going spare Im sure they will be gratefully recieved.
Views: 303   Replies: 5
Last Post: Sep 30, 2008 8:05pm
by nero
j
Julian
Facebook
How many of you surfers have joined Facebook? I am on it but its dead confusing, but I have caught up with loads and loads of school mates.
Views: 325   Replies: 5
Last Post: Sep 30, 2008 6:12pm
by tjw
j
Julian
Scouts
Has anyone got any contact details for the cub scouts in Ashton my son wants to join them. Any help much appreciated.
Views: 271   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 30, 2008 4:23pm
by AndyH
Boots at Bryn
Tales of problems at the Bryn chemist since its refurbishment - long waits for prescriptions; insufficient supplies of tablets and people having to call back to obtain their prescription. The service seems to be falling apart lately.
Views: 270   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 29, 2008 10:00pm
by sue
n
nero
if you cant beat them join them.
ok i will accept this site for what it is, regardless of quality,besides you only live once. on that note may i be the first to wish you all a merry xmas and a happy new year.
Views: 523   Replies: 22
Last Post: Sep 27, 2008 7:18pm
by Alan Edwards
Power outage, 24 September
Hi, been checking the forum for comment on last Wednesday's power cut but so far nothing. We were just finishing a meal in Tom & Jerry's about 6.30pm when the lights went out. Traffic lights were also out at Wigan Rd/Bolton Rd junction (though not the ones in fron...
Views: 297   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 27, 2008 6:17pm
by Clarkey
Help Make It Even Bigger
There will be a MACMILLAN COFFEE MORNING at the YMCA Hilton St this Friday September 26th 9am-1pm. Please go along and support this worthy cause, There will be a raffle John Lewis Grid Game with Cash Prizes Display of Second World War Artefacts Nursery Corn...
Views: 320   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 25, 2008 6:08pm
by Alan Edwards
Ryu Do Shotokan Karate Academy
Renowned karate instructors Sensei Brian Bentham and Sensei Sarah Lossman are setting up a class at Captain's Lane Community Centre and you can now have a chance to train with them. Having 45 years total experience in both traditional and competition karate they w...
Views: 298   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 25, 2008 3:37pm
by Brian Bentham
They count them in and count them out.
A brown envelope dropped through my door , the other day. expecting a tax rebate, I opened eagerly, what a shock. It was a demand for £150.00 or £75.00 if paid within fourteen days. It related to the Gerrard Centre. I had parked there on the day in question...
Views: 275   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 20, 2008 7:51pm
by Alan Edwards
r
Rose
Growing old disgracefully
I have always loved this poem and for some reason -perhaps the lovely morning in AIM I thought I would share it . WARNING When I am an old woman I shall wear purple With a red hat which doesn't go and doesn't suit me...
Views: 235   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 20, 2008 9:37am
by Rose
Internet Explorer/Firefox
FYI - Since the Virgin site went down a couple of weeks ago my browser (IE) has seemed slow, particularly on some websites which have been like treacle. I tried increasing my broadband speed, but that had no effect on browsing. I tried tweaking IE a number of w...
Views: 267   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 20, 2008 12:14am
by David M
r
RoyH
Bucking the trend
Airways are going bust, banks are in trouble and shares tumble. However one type of business seems to have no financial worries because Gerard Street will soon have its third betting shop. William Hill look likely to open shortly next to Greenhalghs. As a part of t...
Views: 291   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 16, 2008 9:53pm
by Alan Edwards
Broadband speed
Here's a good site for testing the speed of your broadband connection: www.speedtest.net.
Views: 301   Replies: 8
Last Post: Sep 16, 2008 2:56pm
by Julian
j
Julian
IMPORTANT WARNING TO PARENTS
Both my kids came home with a letter from school today, I have cut and paste the letter, it is below. Over the weekend there was an attempted abduction of a child by 2 men and 1 lady (blonde hair) who were offering money to children to go with them for a ride in t...
Views: 302   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 15, 2008 3:50pm
by Julian
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Free Forum powered by Bravenet