Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Batbloke
Saw first bat of the year tonight. Anyone else seen any?
Views: 235   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 3, 2009 12:36am
by Julian
Post Office Raid
Just heard that there's been a raid on the post office in Old Road.
Views: 239   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 2, 2009 3:04pm
by David M
p
Paul G
Corgi register changes to Gas safe register
Just a note to make everyone aware that the registration to work on GAS changes on April 1st to the gas safe register, this is no April's fool, please check operatives ID to make sure you are in safe hands.the new cards have been issued, link attatched, http://www.g...
Views: 217   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 1, 2009 11:04pm
by Paul G
Rogue Traders
Watching the programme Rogue Traders last night, I saw that they featured the Aquashield company. Aquashield market 'domestic roof coating' and have been doing a hard sell on our estate in recent months. If you are approached by their salesmen it might be a good...
Views: 364   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 31, 2009 2:40pm
by Alan
r
Rose
Conmen
In the last few days during the evening I have have had: 1) A phone call saying I had been given a grant for loft and cavity wall insulation which he could do for me- I actually had it done 2/3 years ago. No name given 2) Another call saying my insurance...
Views: 409   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 25, 2009 7:57pm
by Oy
a
Alan
Quite amazing
http://www.emalayalee.co.uk/getvideo.php?cat=5&article=259
Views: 349   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 25, 2009 3:59pm
by AndyH
j
Julian
Stubshaw Cross Youth Club
Tonight was the 4th week of the 4 week trial youth club, 43 teenagers turned upto tonight which is just over a 100% increase from the 1st week. Another excellent night had, Councillor Hodgekinson turned up tonight for a while. Again kids from other areas coming down...
Views: 245   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 23, 2009 11:08pm
by Julian
Township signs
Coming back to Ashton from Bolton today I noticed the township signs at the boundaries. The notable absence was a sign for Ashton-in-Makerfield. I remember that our Township Forum was discussing the design of our township sign what must have been at least five yea...
Views: 299   Replies: 6
Last Post: Mar 22, 2009 10:44pm
by Alan
d
Dan
Incident in Ashton
Just drove past the old Police Station (Wednesday 5.30pm). Plenty of police and ambulance. Crime scene tape appeared to cordon off the footpath adjacent. Big commotion by the look of it. Any news?
Views: 527   Replies: 14
Last Post: Mar 21, 2009 4:54pm
by David M
p
podwin
Photo Booth
Hello Everyone! Does anyone know where there is a photo-booth in Ashton or Bryn? Thanks p
Views: 320   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 20, 2009 10:07am
by podwin
Youth clubs/cafe
We are a new group that is currently looking to help set up youth clubs/cafes within the Wigan area, We are starting in the Ashton/Surrounding areas. Our aim is to start groups for 11`s and unders and also 12 to 18s. If anyone would like to know more or volunteer ple...
Views: 210   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 19, 2009 5:06pm
by Wigan Youth Club...
j
Julian
Kids/Teenagers
After having a fair bit of contact with teenagers with in the Ashton area over the last few months, and finding out that the youngsters have nothing to do with their time and end up causing problems with in the communties we live in. I am wondering if anyone else has...
Views: 331   Replies: 8
Last Post: Mar 19, 2009 12:51pm
by Julian
d
Denise
Propsed Yellow Lines on Old Road
I have recently sent an email to local councillors with my objection to this plan. I realise that taking your child to school by car isn't popular and by choice I wouldn't do it but as I have to get to the other side of Wigan by 9.30 its the only option I have -...
Views: 328   Replies: 8
Last Post: Mar 18, 2009 3:26pm
by Dave
p
Phil
History Question: Rack
Hi, Has anyone heard of a part of Ashton called Rack? May have been a district, hamlet or street, I don't know. But it had 'tenants' in the 1820s. As far as I know, nothing of that name exists now, does it? Thanks, Phil
Views: 276   Replies: 6
Last Post: Mar 18, 2009 3:03pm
by Phil
30th Anniversary of the Golborne Pit Disaster
Sunday Afternoon March 15th St.Thomas' Church Golborne, Church Street, WA3 3TH GOLBORNE COLLIERY DISASTER 30th ANNIVERSARY Parade leaves from Queen Anne ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Reproduced from the Wiga...
Views: 270   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 14, 2009 11:33pm
by Lowton Websites
j
Julian
Anti Social behaviour
Due to the rise in antisocial behaviour within our lovely little town, I was wondering apart from wanting nothing to do with the little cherubs how could we as a community could make things better. I personally will help them if they deserve the help they need. What...
Views: 490   Replies: 12
Last Post: Mar 12, 2009 10:23pm
by Julian
j
Julian
Youth Club
Tonight was Stubshaw Cross`s 2nd youth club, the amount attending had doubled from the first week with 37 teenagers attending. The difference tonight was several teenagers had heard through their friends at college that it was on. And over ½ a dozen teenagers ca...
Views: 305   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 11, 2009 11:44pm
by Julian
j
Julian
The Old Ashtonian Pub
Does anyone know who owns the building that used to be The Ashtonian?
Views: 333   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 10, 2009 1:27am
by Julian
j
Julian
Ashton Car Park
On the car park next to Somerfields the WISH FM broadcast bus was parked up with its ariel set up. Anyone know what they were doing there??? Just curious.
Views: 286   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 5, 2009 2:53am
by karen
j
Julian
Stubshaw Cross Youth Club
Tonight Stubshaw Cross Youth Club opened its doors for the first time, at Ashton Football Club it was a success over 20 teenagers attended and behaved very very well indeed. They deserve a lot of credit. Many thanks to all involved.
Views: 210   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 2, 2009 10:17pm
by Julian
p
Peter
Local Football
I watched a local football team play on Byrchall's front pitch on Saturday and was quite impressed with the standard. I know and they know that they are never going to play in the premiership but it was good to see a group of young men taking part in sport activ...
Views: 240   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 2, 2009 4:41pm
by Peter
j
Julian
Triangle Snooker Club
I have heard recently that Tommy Barton has bought the snooker club on Bolton Road at Stubshaw, has anyone heard anything about it being turned into a sports bar???
Views: 341   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 1, 2009 10:36pm
by ..
k
Kevin
Forum
Just letting everyone know www.ashtonforum.co.uk is back open. No registration is required. Many Thanks Kevin
Views: 299   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 1, 2009 4:00pm
by TH
j
Julian
Holiday
Im of on holiday today, Oh the sun the sea the sand etc etc.
Views: 270   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 1, 2009 2:23pm
by David M
j
Julian
Councils in 'ghost town' warning
A proposed plan from the Local Government Association to allow local councils to take over empty shops that have been empty for a period of 3 months, and then turn them into community based premises, ie, community centres, librarys, training centres etc in all 399 lo...
Views: 238   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 28, 2009 11:09pm
by Julian
j
Julian
Mr Alan
Dear Mr Edwards may I be the first to wish you a very Happy Birthday tomorrow :-)
Views: 250   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 27, 2009 4:55pm
by Julian
Lost on Ashton Heath
I dropped a pouch containing cycle tools on Ashton Heath or surrounds today. Not much chance of their return, but here's hoping.
Views: 293   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 27, 2009 12:34pm
by David M
In an Emergency
Message from the Ambulance Service We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory. If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Yes,...
Views: 270   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 26, 2009 6:55pm
by Alan Edwards
RARETARA
RARETARA are having a public consultation tonight at Stubshaw Cross Labour Club at 7.30pm to discuss if the people of Stubshaw Cross would like a community centre, and what they would or wouldn`t like to see it used for. ALL WELCOME
Views: 151   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 26, 2009 4:21pm
by Riding Lane And ...
Goodbye, Golden Lion?
I heard today that the Golden Lion is closed for refurbishment, and is opening again shortly under the new name "The Nag's Head". Surely not! The pub has been the Golden Lion since at least 1824. Why on earth would anyone want to change the name? And what will hap...
Views: 511   Replies: 13
Last Post: Feb 25, 2009 5:02pm
by Ben
b
Ben
Broadband Speed
Are you getting what your paying for with regards to the speed of your broadband? I pay for getting 10meg download speed, after recieving a link to a broadband speed checker Im getting a quater of what I should be getting. Try www.speedtest.net
Views: 269   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 23, 2009 2:12pm
by AndyH
o
Oy
New Ashton Gallery Website
Hi all I've just started a new website for the photos of Ashton I've taken over the last few years. It's very much in the early stages - lots more to upload yet. www.ashtongallery.co.uk If you click a thumbnail and open a photo - clicking the photo again wi...
Views: 416   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 23, 2009 8:26am
by Oy
b
Ben
War Hero
How proud these mindless idiots must be. It makes me almost ashamed to live in Ashton. http://www.wigantoday.net/wigannews/Racists-force-family-to-flee.4990829.jp
Views: 339   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 22, 2009 12:31pm
by Alan Edwards
m
Matt
Warrington road 19/2/09 around 11 pm
does anyone know what happened last night on warington road. i was heading for the lancs and found the entrance to the road to be closed off.. went the other way round and came out near robinsons and saw a police car ariving to assist so it cant have been long past 1...
Views: 355   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 20, 2009 5:07pm
by Oy
o
Oy
Ashton-in Makerfield boundary
Hi all I'm looking for a map showing the boundary of Ashton-in Makerfield. The original boundary, independent of which local authority currently administers what. Also any additional info on this boundary would be gratefully received too :) Areas included woul...
Views: 327   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 20, 2009 3:14pm
by Lowton Websites
p
Phil
Ashton Market and town centre
Had a look round last Saturday. It took two minutes. Nothing at all worth looking at. Where have all the stalls gone? Are the rents too high, or are shoppers just not interested in markets? You would not think that if you went to Bury. Very sad to see the general d...
Views: 388   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 20, 2009 3:08pm
by Lowton Websites
a
AndyH
Ashton boards?
whats happened!! http://ashtonforum.proboards41.com/index.cgi closed? Andy
Views: 600   Replies: 18
Last Post: Feb 17, 2009 10:08am
by Julian
Bankers' bonuses (spit)
You might want to sign this - I know I have: Bankers' bonuses
Views: 279   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 16, 2009 11:26pm
by Vic
j
Julian
Alan
Alan I recieved your email request to add you to facebook, I think I have added you let me know if i did it correctly :-)
Views: 248   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 16, 2009 6:42pm
by john h
Wigan Infirmary
Having just had a week in the hospital I found the personal nursing care to be sadly lacking. The basic nursing care and application of technical nursing skills were OK, and the medical care was excellent, but during my stay not one nurse introduced themselves, or en...
Views: 391   Replies: 12
Last Post: Feb 15, 2009 11:49pm
by David M
j
Julian
Non De Plume
I believe Alan broached this subject a while ago, Isnt it about time we had on a way of people to only be able to use one name, I.E registered users rather than open users who hide behind many names.
Views: 335   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 11, 2009 11:45pm
by Alan Edwards
k
KarenW
The "Steam Engine"
Does anyone recall an area known locally as the "Steam Engine" which my family used to refer to for the open area off Old Road (next to the police station) over the brook and up to Millingford Grove. If so, do you know why it was known as the "Steam Engine"?
Views: 323   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 10, 2009 1:01pm
by AndyH
Volunteers required for this Sunday 8th February 2009
To help the us regrade one of the woodland footpaths with wood chippings. You don't need to be super fit, and you can decide which of the following you can do best, Filling a wheel barrow with wood chippings Pushing the barrow along the path and tipping the load...
Views: 248   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 5, 2009 11:58pm
by Friends of Three...
k
KarenW
Anabaptist church
Does anyone recall an Anabaptist church in or around Ashton? They were the forerunners to the baptist church movement apparently and practised adult baptism. The historical background sounds a bit radical but I remember mention of such a church in the environs.
Views: 232   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 5, 2009 9:46pm
by Ray
j
Julian
Disability Discrimination Act
Following a conversation with someone recently regarding access issues I was wondering if anyone knew how many shops/business`s are not accessible to wheelchair users in Aston and Bryn? And just how many business`s are aware of the DDA?
Views: 394   Replies: 9
Last Post: Feb 3, 2009 12:33pm
by Julian
Credit Crunch
With the credit crunch being mentioned on most news broadcasts and in the newspapers, I wondered how is it affecting you? If it is affecting you tell us how.
Views: 207   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 30, 2009 11:34am
by Tarquin Darcy Fa...
a
Ariel
Stubshaw Cross/Israel Heyes
Thank you for the virtual stroll. This was a remarkable treat in my otherwise miserable insomniac night. Israel Heyes is my third great grandfather. Any cousins out there on the heath? Ariel
Views: 324   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 30, 2009 2:33am
by Ariel Dawson
Ashton Heath Farm
Happy New Year to you all as most of you know ashton heath farm was once owned by mary fairhurst, well my mum and dad now live there. with all the work we have done we are very intrigued in its history. does anyone know of its history before mary had it or have...
Views: 387   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 29, 2009 7:52pm
by Mike Hudson
GET WELL SOON
I was told today the moderator is not well, when you read this Dave you most likely will be home. GET BACK TO FULL HEALTH SOON Alan
Views: 356   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 29, 2009 12:11am
by From all your fr...
s
Sc-Yc
Youth Club
Stubshaw Cross Youth Committee are looking for the following for their youth club that is due to open next month. Is their anyone who can help us purchase these items at a discounted cost please. The Items needed so far are.... 2 xbox 360s with games 2 32 inch...
Views: 262   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 28, 2009 10:38pm
by DavidM
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Free Forum powered by Bravenet