Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
s
Susan
Charity football match.
Well done to Mark Hayes who held a charity match last night at Ashton town football ground, Lobbies FC v Hollyoaks X1, raising money for Muscular Dystrophy. And well done the local lads from Lobbies, for a very entertaining game of football, I hope lots of money was...
Views: 279   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 13, 2009 12:44pm
by Susan
Counterfeit banknotes
Police have issued a warning that £120 in counterfeit notes have been found in a Wigan house, and in May an attempt was made to pass £500 in bad notes in Ashton. The notes are £20 banknotes with the serial numbers BB60 882102, and the watermark and met...
Views: 330   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 11, 2009 1:10pm
by David M
d
Denise
Ashton Thugs Again
Tonight i have been out to a car full of skin heads who think its fun to park up trying to hide behind bushes drinking and chucking all their rubbish out over the place. I took their reg number and they saw me do it and so then parked in front of my house trying to...
Views: 466   Replies: 6
Last Post: Aug 7, 2009 7:20pm
by Alan
l
Liz
Fun activities at Stubshaw Cross park this week and next.
On Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this week and next there are lots of activities going on for children of all ages at Stubshaw Cross Park. Today there was a climbing wall, Victorian toys for the children, cricket, football and the Rock FM bus with podcasts and c...
Views: 300   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 6, 2009 4:50pm
by David M
a
Alan
Airport Security
Hi Go to an airport and the only announcement is regards Security and unattended bags. On 25th July at Manchester Airport I found a bag on an airport trolley with a middle eastern airline sticker on. I immediately went to the nearest desk and asked them to inf...
Views: 365   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 5, 2009 8:21pm
by si
Wigan Core Strategy Local Development Framework
I found the 'preferred options' for Ashton at http://bit.ly/4GiP0. It refers to the closure and re-siting of Byrchall and Cansfield schools to Stubshaw Cross. Here is the relevant extract: Ashton-in-Makerfield spatial policy principles Policy SP 11 The spatia...
Views: 671   Replies: 25
Last Post: Aug 4, 2009 1:51pm
by David M
Swine 'flu' - 0800 1 513 513
Not that I've come across anyone with it nearer than Warrington, but just in case: To access the National Flu Pandemic Service go to www.pandemicflu.direct.gov.uk or call 0800 1 513 513.
Views: 365   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 3, 2009 8:33pm
by si
Core strategy - more houses on greenfield sites in Ashton?
Surprising what you find in the core strategy for the LDF: Jockey Club Racecourses have submitted a response to say that they intend to allocate their land north of Haydock Racecourse (ie. between Windsor Road and Ashton Heath) for housing development.
Views: 366   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 1, 2009 12:25pm
by David M
j
Julian
Stampede @ Stubshaw
AT 4.15pm the local sheriff had to do some rounding up as all the traffic was at a stand still. Here is the reason why.
Views: 400   Replies: 7
Last Post: Aug 1, 2009 2:26am
by Section 8
"Love parks" week
Love Parks Week has teamed up with Fiskars Orange Thumb, a scheme which offers community garden groups the funds, tools, or materials they need to clean up and green up neglected community green spaces. Fiskars Orange Thumb would like to help supporters of Love Pa...
Views: 287   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 31, 2009 11:05am
by David M
s
Sue
Furniture
Does anyone know of organisations that will take furniture that is in a good condition (mahogany table & chairs). Have tried Wigan hospice but they won't take due to the fact that the chairs are upholstered and do not have a fire retardant tag on them. They would ta...
Views: 295   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jul 30, 2009 8:32pm
by Sue
r
Rose
You can't always get what you want
Just a thought on a wet day. I had to use my dryer today and it does make a terrible racket. It's so noisy that I keep waiting for it to break down so that I can replace it.Economical soul that I am I don't want to pay for a new one while it still works. But it has b...
Views: 335   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jul 30, 2009 6:24pm
by Matt.
j
Julian
Vic (Pond Dipping)
Vic is there any room for my 2 for the pond dipping next Friday 31st? If so can you book them down for it please.
Views: 286   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 29, 2009 6:03pm
by Julian
m
MAD
Industrial Expansion - Public Meeting
Makerfield Against Development (M.A.D.) will be holding a public meeting to discuss matters relating to the proposed plans involving the new link road (Bolton Rd to Landgate), the expansion of the industrial estate, new industrial units etc. at Landgate and the propo...
Views: 208   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 28, 2009 10:17am
by Debbie
s
santa
xmas
ah well summer seems to be over and only 151 shopping days to xmas.
Views: 211   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 26, 2009 2:32pm
by Julian
3 sisters Industrial Estate Expansion
It appears that the Wigan Evening Post have got wind of the Government Inspectors Report. It quotes: "Given the problems of congestion, noise, pollution and danger caused by the existing through traffic in Ashton, it is reasonable to conclude employment developmen...
Views: 522   Replies: 17
Last Post: Jul 26, 2009 12:52am
by David M
Bench on Ashton Heath
Ashton Heath Residents' Association recently obtained a bench for the heath, funded by monies from Wigan Council. Yesterday two securing nuts were removed from the bench, and today the remaining nuts have been unscrewed. It appears that someone is planning to stea...
Views: 279   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 25, 2009 1:24am
by David M
a
Alan
What an Asset
Driving down Bolton Road towards Bryn oad South I glanced at The Town Green Gardens. The Pergola was full of young people sat around. They seemed to be up to NO HARM. I don't know if that was one of the intentions, but to see so many young people sat about behaving...
Views: 321   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jul 25, 2009 12:22am
by Ellem
Young Widows' Association
I was asked tonight in the Harrow Inn to publicise the formation of a Young Widows' Association, for those women under 55 who have lost a partner. The group is meeting on the third Saturday of each month in Golborne Catholic Club, High Street, Golborne, starting a...
Views: 217   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 25, 2009 12:03am
by David M
d
Debbie
Change of Government - what happens then?
Can someone please answer the above question for me? What would happen to the land if it was designated for the school developement and we had a change of government and their policies changed, because as far as I can make out the Tories are totally opposed to th...
Views: 236   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 23, 2009 10:53am
by Alan
Scary experience
At Ashton Heath I'd just got in around 1 pm ish today, I needed the loo so I parked the car on the drive, shut the gates and dashed into the house and upstairs. I heard Sham barking (nothing unusual if she sees someone on heath) and then Ruby, I dashed down on...
Views: 379   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 17, 2009 3:20pm
by Jasmine
p
peterp
gas supply
My son is moving house which has no gas supply from the mains.Who can do this job besides transco and how much does it cost, approx 30feet from mains to house.
Views: 282   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 17, 2009 1:06pm
by David M
s
Susan
Riding Lane
Does anyone know what's going on in the fields at the side of Riding Lane? I heard a rumour that the electricity pylons have been vandalised, surely nobody could be that stupid!
Views: 273   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 16, 2009 6:15pm
by Richard Head
www.ashtonforum.co.uk
Thanks to a generous offer by Julian the message board can now be accessed via the domain name www.ashtonforum.co.uk.
Views: 350   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 15, 2009 9:38am
by AndyH
d
Debbie
Another thought for the melting pot!!!
Someone rang me the other night and put forward yet another interesting thought...so here goes.. Why doesn't the council move the existing Lockett Road site to the school sites on Warrington Road, then use Lockett Road for the new schools??? When you think about it,...
Views: 254   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 14, 2009 8:55am
by Oy
d
Debbie
South Lancs Industrial Estate
When I went walking the other day I decided to call into the warehouses on the estate to speak to the transport managers, I asked some basic questions about how any people were employed and what kind of goods were transporting, then I asked 5 parked lorries where the...
Views: 371   Replies: 12
Last Post: Jul 13, 2009 5:23am
by Richard Head
j
Julian
Views: 384   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jul 10, 2009 6:20pm
by Alan
Closure of Byrchall and Cansfield
For anyone interested in defending our local high schools (Cansfield and Byrchall), there is a protest demonstration against the closure of Hesketh Fletcher school on: July 12th Sunday On the field behind Lowton Civic Hall. 11.30 am If we go, it will help to...
Views: 343   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jul 9, 2009 6:37pm
by Denise
r
rob
bottles
i was just wandering is it actually illegal to dig on the heath , iwas planning to come down next weekend with my kids and dig for some bottles,we would fill any holes in. ijust do not want to break any laws.
Views: 440   Replies: 33
Last Post: Jul 8, 2009 9:43pm
by Richard Head
j
John
Miserable
Whilst not being a regular poster on here, I have been reading a lot of threads over the last few months. I have to say there are a few miserable posters on here who do nothing but moan. Is Ashton really turning into such a miserable place?? For god sake cheer up...
Views: 292   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 6, 2009 11:51am
by David M
a
Alan
Old Gas Site
http://www.murraystable.com/files/articles/Who%20pays%20for%20the%20cost%20of%20cleaning%20up%20contaminated%20land.pdf I found this interesting in relation to the land adjoining the Gerrard centre and Princess Road. Alan
Views: 258   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 4, 2009 11:28pm
by Alan
"New Highway infrastructure joining Bolton Rd with Junction 25".
In the latest issue of Borough Life you will have seen the proposed "New Highway infrastructure joining Bolton Rd with Junction 25". Its basically the Ashton Northern Bypass that was thrown out of the UDP a few years ago. I am going to quote a few lines from th...
Views: 353   Replies: 15
Last Post: Jul 3, 2009 7:58am
by Alan
i
Ian
Community Football Match
Stubshaw Cross Youth Committee have organised a "Lads v Dads" football match this Saturday at Ashton Town Football Club. Includes a BBQ, Bouncy Castle and face painting for the younger ones. Club house bar also open. Starts at 2.00 pm with the KO at 3.00 pm.
Views: 400   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jun 30, 2009 12:14am
by Andrede
a
ARJAN
Ashton Heath residents association
Have the Ashton Heath residents association have any thoughts on stopping people from having their cars damaged when they are legally parked on the Heath??
Views: 409   Replies: 18
Last Post: Jun 28, 2009 10:51am
by Alan
Climate change survey
Forwarded from BTCV Community Network: Hello Community Network Member Environment Ministers and Officials from across the world are meeting at a UN summit in Copenhagen in December to thrash out a global deal on climate change. The UK's Department for Children,...
Views: 252   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 25, 2009 2:16pm
by David M
j
Julian
TSB armed robbery today
http://www.wigantoday.net/wigannews/Armed-raiders-terrorise-bank-staff.5361615.jp] Ashton Armed Robbery
Views: 391   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 23, 2009 11:48am
by David M
j
Julian
Video Diary
Here are two videos from my diary can you make out whats being said on both? the 1st one I have put subtitles.
Views: 303   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 22, 2009 12:37am
by Julian
j
Julian
Snooker Club
I have just heard about the fire at the Triangle Snooker hall the other night. Anyone got any info on it?
Views: 356   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 21, 2009 1:41am
by Andrede
Plans for Ashton town centre
For those who don't already know, BDP consultants will be presenting their proposed plans for the town centre on the Gerard Centre on Friday between 08.30 and 14.30. Those who are unable to attend can view the plans in the library over the following two weeks.
Views: 423   Replies: 13
Last Post: Jun 20, 2009 12:57am
by David M
d
Debbie
'Super Schools'
Sorry, Alan I can see your posting re too many threads, but I thought that this was a different point. I have just been quickly looking at these titan schools and the initial feed back on them is not good. I am all for the children in our area getting the best, but...
Views: 375   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jun 18, 2009 3:37pm
by Alan
i
Ian
MAD Meeting
M.A.D. will be holding an informal meeting at Stubshaw Cross Labour Club at 7.30 p.m. next Tuesday the 16th of June. Anyone interested in the Borough Life article concerning the proposed industrial area and high school, or with any information about the above woul...
Views: 277   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 18, 2009 9:37am
by Debbie
s
Sue
Traffic Lights.
Does anyone know whats happened to the traffic lights on Princess Road? I've been going through them this week and they're only letting 3 or 4 cars through, so the traffic is backing up to York Road Sth. It took me 11 minutes to get from The Gerard Centre car park th...
Views: 282   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 18, 2009 1:03am
by Ian
WOW Festival
WOW Festival Sunday 2nd August 2009, 12 – 5 pm Alexandra Park Dear all The Wigan One World Multicultural Festival (WOW Festival) takes place at Alexandra Park, Newtown, Wigan WN5 9BN on Sunday 2nd August. The festival runs between 12 noon and 5 pm. I...
Views: 234   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 11, 2009 9:05am
by David M
j
Julian
Deja Vu
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii312/wiganer516/img027.jpg
Views: 465   Replies: 17
Last Post: Jun 11, 2009 8:00am
by Debbie
a
Alan
Work together
How about combining the three threads concerning Ashton/Bryn future under one heading? It is difficult flitting from one to t'other. Oh "mighty webmaster" can you help? please Alan
Views: 245   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 10, 2009 1:54pm
by Moderator
STOP WIGAN COUNCIL DESTROYING STUBSHAW CROSS AND LANDGATE
Makerfield Against Development AVAILABLE ON FACEBOOK
Views: 359   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jun 10, 2009 1:25pm
by Alan
Borough Life Mag - Concern?
I had just come back from a stunning 4 hour walk around Bryn Gates / Bamfurlong and Landgate yesterday only to find in my Borough Life Magazine that they are once again 'thinking' about making matters ten times worse by putting a road, more empty warehouses and a sch...
Views: 363   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jun 9, 2009 4:53pm
by David M
new photgraphic studio just opened
hi my names janene and ive just opened a studio on warrington road. we have a wide variety of services available to suit all budgets. please call in where we will make u feel and look like a million dollars and we will capture it all!!! hope to see you soon x
Views: 276   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 7, 2009 2:47pm
by Alan
Motorway closed
The motorway is closed between Bryn and Orrell including the Liverpool Road junction and traffic is snarled up on the A49.
Views: 199   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 5, 2009 10:54am
by AndyH
a
Alan
Hope not Hate
http://action.hopenothate.org.uk/page/s/keepbritaingreat
Views: 243   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 4, 2009 4:04pm
by Alan
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Free Forum powered by Bravenet