​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
s
Sandy
Dogs
Does anyone know why dogs are forbidden on the walk. The event was invented by Hamish Brown who walked with his dog. Just wondering.
Views: 637   Replies: 7
Last Post: Sep 22, 2015 6:15pm
by Sandy
Application!!!
Paid and posted.....must go finish the last two days route planning!!!
Views: 506   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 18, 2015 10:38am
by John J
Maps for 2016 planning - best is?
New here and thanks in advance for advice. Can't wait to get the application forms on September 17th for my son Liam and I. Question: Is it best to use the OS Explorer maps (430/431 for example) and/or the digital map subscription? We will have Garmin 42S GPS a...
Views: 465   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 15, 2015 5:08pm
by Dara OhUiginn
Grateful thanks
A message to all our dear friends to thank you all so much for all your loving support and words of sympathy extended to us during our current sadness. They have been, and are, a great source of comfort from which we are drawing strength. With our love, David and Mar...
Views: 262   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 15, 2015 9:49am
by David and Margar...
MR WALKER'S Latest Massive Autumn Gear sale
Includes A PHD Sigma Smock (L) Gossamer Gear Gorilla Pack with belt (latest Style) Leki Poles Teva GTX shoes (UK 11) and a few other bits and bobs See it all HERE
Views: 376   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 9, 2015 10:05am
by Phil Lambert
TGO 16
When will the TGO magazine with 2016 entry forms be in the bookshop? Just curious! William
Views: 704   Replies: 8
Last Post: Sep 2, 2015 1:28pm
by Ian C.
TENT .. Luxe V4 sil hexPeak V4 Review
In case anyone is interested. My Review of the sil HexPeak V4 that I got from Bob & Rose Can be found HERE Rather Good Value! Just sayin .....
Views: 1502   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 2, 2015 11:11am
by Andrew W
Spring Gathering 4th - 6th March 2016
Rooms at The Snake Pass Inn are starting to get booked and I have a single lady who would like to share a room with another lady. She has already booked the room for Friday and Saturday nights and if you are interested in sharing then please get in touch with me and...
Views: 333   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 1, 2015 9:59am
by Alan Hardy
Lorraine Nicholson
It is with great sadness we pass on news of the death of Lorraine Nicholson. Lorraine completed 3 crossings in the 1990s and was well known for her generous spirit to all who met her, often going out of her way to help others. In recent years she devoted much of he...
Views: 471   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 31, 2015 2:01pm
by Des
TGOC 2015 Photos
A bit late in the day, but photos of our TGOC 2015 crossing are at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tedandjen/albums/72157657668619152 You will have to copy and paste it into Google as I don't know how to turn it into a clickable link, apologies
Views: 504   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 29, 2015 12:50pm
by Issy & Les
Another disappointing Challenge Blog Post
I have been remiss this in writing anything up, so here are days 5 and 6. Be warned, there is music. There are expletives. There are pictures. There is fiction! You can't say you haven't been warned!
Views: 337   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 27, 2015 1:12am
by Andrew W
Derek Emsley
Sadly, a couple of weeks ago Derek suffered a severe stroke. He is currently being cared for in Ward 2A at Raigmore Hospital, Inverness. We are sure that all who know him wish him a speedy recovery. We send our very best wishes to Marian also during this very diff...
Views: 608   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 26, 2015 2:34pm
by Aussie Mike
Scottish TGO Re-Union - 9-11 October (Crianlarich)
Hello friends, As summer draws to a close, even although we are really still waiting for it to arrive, thought we better get this reminder out. Its now only 7 weeks until the Scottish TGO Re-Union which once again is being based at the Crianlarich Hotel. The last...
Views: 267   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 22, 2015 3:09pm
by Issy & Les
Glen Roy parallel roads: GOOD NEWS!
I received an email yesterday from SNH containing the following statement: Following the SNH Board meeting in Inverness today, Ian Ross, the SNH chairman, said:   “Glen Roy is an important place, recognised locally, nationally and internationally for...
Views: 424   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 20, 2015 8:01am
by John manning
Message from Margaret and David Brocklehurst
Margaret and David Brocklehurst fondly known by many challengers have asked me to post a message on their behalf. They sadly have to inform their many friends that their daughter Jayne tragically died this week in Budleigh Salterton. At such a trying time it is n...
Views: 788   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 19, 2015 11:36pm
by John manning
Outdoors Grub Important News
As Challengers have been very good to Outdoors Grub over the years I thought I'd give you lovely folks the first heads-up of some important news. My wife and I are moving to live and work in France, and as a result Outdoors Grub is closing down. I have a small...
Views: 786   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 18, 2015 10:42am
by Chris, outdoorsg...
Good news from Kincraig
Sense at last on the Allt Duine windfarm application- it's NO- one bit of the Monaliath remaining as wild land. The extension to the Speyside way between Kincraig and Aviemore is ready- not before time. The waymarking is in place and all the access points availabl...
Views: 512   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 14, 2015 7:59am
by Vanessa Ling
The photos Dornie to Kinnaber Links
Just in case the write up was too wordy, here are just the photos. https://goo.gl/photos/TwE1mzuKQw9APDDR7 No, I still can't.
Views: 435   Replies: 6
Last Post: Aug 3, 2015 6:18am
by Louise
TGO 2015 Video Dornie to Fraserburgh Part 1
http://mustexplore.blogspot.com/2015/07/tgo-challenge-video-part-1.html
Views: 512   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 3, 2015 2:11am
by Craig & Vicky Gu...
BIG SKY MIRAGE TENT
I'm very tempted by the Big Sky Mirage tent, does anyone have one? What do you think of it?........ PS........We're supposed to be on a 2 week tourist (+ canoeing) holiday in the Highlands in early September but I've "accidentally" managed to schedule in a one nig...
Views: 441   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jul 28, 2015 5:58am
by Jenny Wheeler
Photos wanted Glen Turret to The Window - Dog Falls; also Glen Loyne
I've been putting together a description of my route over at mpaulm.blogspot.com and unfortunately missing some good pictures as my lovely little Sony camera became 'damaged beyond economic repair' on day 3. Then I was busy up in the clouds on S. Shiel ridge and t...
Views: 398   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 17, 2015 4:17pm
by Andrew Dawkins
Concluding podcast episode from TGOC 2015 (Includes interviews)
This is the concluding part in the TGOC series for 2015. As we finally hit the East Coast and accept that it is all over, we manage to chat with several overseas Challengers about their thoughts and impressions of the largest backpacking event in the world. Gr...
Views: 264   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 14, 2015 4:18pm
by Podcast Bob
Penultimate TGOC Podcast No 396 - Now live
The penultimate episode in the TGOC 2015 series now live. Something for tomorrow's commute? Includes interview with Michael Zimmermann from Germany. http://ow.ly/PuSl1
Views: 224   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 12, 2015 2:38pm
by Podcast Bob
j
Joy
Final report 2015
Is there to be a final report? I couldn't find it on the resource page. 2013 was my last Challenge but I love to keep up with subsequent crossings.
Views: 538   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 8, 2015 6:06pm
by Joy
i
Ian C.
My Challenge photos. This year with moving pictures
This year I decided to drag myself into the 20th century and have a go at these new fangled moving pictures, no sound yet because I'm not convinced talkies will ever catch-on. My photos and cinematographic efforts can be found at http://iancotterill.com/2015tgochalle...
Views: 782   Replies: 14
Last Post: Jul 8, 2015 4:24pm
by Ian C.
TGOC 2015 Podcast part 5 and 6 now live
Er hullo? Something for the weekend sir ;) Part 5 from the TGOC 2015 now live. OOooOOoo suits YOU sir :) http://ow.ly/OSfT2 ---- TGOC Part 6 now live. Now the sun has gone in, it might help those with sunburn to pass the time :) http://ow.ly/P4T5W
Views: 250   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 7, 2015 6:33pm
by Podcast Bob
Podcast 395 - Part 7 TGOC 2015 now live
The journey is nearing the end and everyone is starting to become rather reflective. At Tarfside I was lucky enough to chat with first timer Steve Chesterton from Kansas, his friend Block Andrews who was joining him for the last few days and Peter Stickler from Br...
Views: 170   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 7, 2015 6:32pm
by Podcast Bob
Campsite at Craig
Preparing for my Mallaig to Ullapool stage of the Cape Wrath Trail in September I came along the following. Might be of interest for challengers passing Craig next year (or before.....) "A campsite is opening at Craig. The owner of the campsite - Malcolm Cudby can...
Views: 517   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 7, 2015 5:10pm
by Mark Williams
Podcast Episode 4 now live
This covers day 6 and 7 from above Stonelarig ruin to the river Dulnain and the two bothys. One for poor people and once for the rich people ;) And Paul, Wayne and Robin stayed in one of them. Guess? Then it was over the top bypassing part of the Burma Road and...
Views: 246   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 24, 2015 4:41pm
by Podcast Bob
PHD Sigma Primaloft Pullover Black (Mens Large) - For Sale
I have a PHD Sigma Primaloft Pullover mens size (L) in Black for sale! Weighs in at 475g in stuff bag Bought in March 2013 Used on some backpacking trips over the last 2 years, but really, hardly worn at all, so in very good condition. This is the M1 fab...
Views: 409   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 23, 2015 3:00pm
by Andrew W
And another one
Another TGO report at www.bajanthings.com This one is for my friends to understand why a normally rational man would put his house, bed and kitchen on his back and walk across Scotland when there are perfectly good roads and trains! Cheers, William
Views: 461   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 22, 2015 7:00pm
by DickieF
Part Three No 391 now live
This one includes Day 4 and 5, the two soggy wet days we all had to wash away the memory of all that lovely sunshine. It also includes an casual chat with a vetter Graeme in a tin hut up Glen Doe, for some behind the scene thoughts on where we can all help make th...
Views: 195   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 22, 2015 2:46pm
by Podcast Bob
YACB - Yet Another Challenge Blog
I didn't do a day-to-day diary but have written a few shortish blog posts on my crossing from Lochailort to Stonehaven. A summary of my 2015 Challenge blog posts
Views: 410   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 19, 2015 11:45am
by Ian Sommerville
Podcast Episode 2 from TGOC 2015 or number 47 from the series - no wlive
Okay Podcast and Challenge fans, here's Part 2 from this year. Bring back memories anyone :) http://www.theoutdoorsstation.co.uk/2015/06/no-390-the-tgo-challenge-2015-part-two/
Views: 268   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 18, 2015 4:51pm
by Robin
The Podcast epic series continues .... with Episode 46!!
Yes the 46 th recording of the TGO Challenge podcast series, the first from this year, has now been released for those who may wish to live it once again. I'm still working/editing on the 244 video clips to create a video (or 2) with the route from this year, so t...
Views: 484   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jun 18, 2015 2:52pm
by Emma
A Rock Star on the Challenge 2015
Here is the tale of a Rock Star Rock...... and roll http://aktovate1.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/tgo-2015-shiel-bridge-to-dunnottar.html Can't do the clicky thing .....
Views: 568   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jun 17, 2015 9:10pm
by Robin
Challenge trip diary
I've started writing my 2015 Challenge trip diary: https://blogpackinglight.wordpress.com At the moment, the sun is still shining
Views: 592   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 15, 2015 5:25pm
by Robin
Oh deary me, so many Trip Reports so ............................
Here's the start of another one. Read it at your peril....... HERE
Views: 536   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 12, 2015 12:23pm
by Markus Petter
Route review and Report - Lochailort to Dunnottar Castle (John Sanderson)
That's my route review completed, and written up considerably faster than last year| Here's a link to the first part(if it works), you can access the others from there. Link to reports for Days 1 -4 Probably my most enjoyable backpacking route done to date.
Views: 468   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 10, 2015 4:33pm
by Humphrey Weightm...
Yet another TGOC 2015 report:
Sue and I enjoyed a great Challenge. I wrote about it as we went along, the index to which entries is here. Thanks for your company, those who we bumped into en route, and ...see you next year...
Views: 379   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 10, 2015 3:41pm
by Martin Banfield
Trailstar & Inner for sale.
Selling my MLD Trailstar (Olive,colour not name) and Bear Paw Design unused Pyranet 2 inner nest (Green).No poles,pegs or instructions.£200 for both or £110 each.Postage Paid. If interested Email me for info/ pic's. BT
Views: 512   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 10, 2015 12:21pm
by Barry Turton
TGO Challenge 2015 Story
I promised to put the link up for when I started to upload the recap of the Challenge www.mustexplore.blogspot.com thanks to all that made this year such a success for Vicky and me
Views: 440   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 8, 2015 6:27pm
by Craig and Vicky ...
e
Emma
Dornie to Aberdeen photos
If anyone is interested, there is a set of my photos here
Views: 825   Replies: 13
Last Post: Jun 8, 2015 3:26pm
by Emma
c
Caburn
Shiel Bridge to Portlethen crossing pics
Well, here's my photo-show to relive those Challenge memories: Here There's a button near the top-right to "toggle slide-show" for full-screen pics, or you can just scroll down each "page". Can also be accessed via www.caburn.me.uk, but some browsers don't s...
Views: 612   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 6, 2015 11:43pm
by John J
Tomdoun Hotel - No more.....
Just had confirmation from Highland Council that they have approved the application to turn the Tomdoun Hotel into a private house. Another great location lost. I'm sure this has affected Challengers route planning in the last few years whilst it has been closed an...
Views: 547   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 5, 2015 2:57pm
by Des
Thanks guys.
A big thank you to all those who sat in a nice warm room at the Park Hotel encouraging us to carry on walking in the rain, hail, sleet and snow over the past two weeks. Seriously though we could not have done it without the support you give us. Thanks too to Sue & Al...
Views: 859   Replies: 18
Last Post: Jun 4, 2015 12:05pm
by Ali & Sue
Ticks and Lyme Disease
The May 2015 edition of the Scottish Mountaineer has an important article on this condition, cases of which are increasing dramatically. The first sign may be a rash developing between 3 and 36 days after a bite. If not treated with antibiotics further symptoms may d...
Views: 773   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jun 4, 2015 10:38am
by Theo
Pictures already!
I can't do clicky thingies, but if anyone wants to bore themselves for ten mins with their morning coffee, here is my first selection gallery from this year's solo Lochailort to Montrose, sadly without poor Mike who still isn't allowed to start walking yet after brea...
Views: 914   Replies: 12
Last Post: Jun 2, 2015 9:40pm
by waldo
Views: 922   Replies: 10
Last Post: May 29, 2015 9:24pm
by Jeremy Burrows
Fred Campbell
Hi Fred I've tried to share pictures with you as promised but my emails just bounce. Sorry I never got the chance to say Cheerio after the dinner. Get in touch if you want to swap pictures. All the best. Luz
Views: 484   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 29, 2015 1:48pm
by Fred Campbell
l
Louise
Dornie to Johnshaven (...no it wasn't)
Here it is, if anybody has the time and energy 😄 http://www.gemini-challenge.blogspot.co.uk/p/the-great-outdoors-challenge-2015-oban_12.html No, I'm not even trying the clicky thing, I'm too lazy.
Views: 535   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 28, 2015 12:41pm
by Louise
The Northwater Bridge Rescue Team
A huge "Thank You!" to the Northwater Bridge Rescue Team who saved me from having to retire just 9k from the coast. Aaaargh, the thought was unbearable. Too many supporters to mention all by name but one or two to mention. My personal medics Ali and Stuart. S...
Views: 455   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 25, 2015 11:11pm
by Elizabeth Robert...
Views: 464   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 24, 2015 10:10pm
by Andrew W
Dates for 2016 Challenge?
Have the dates for 2016 been determined yet? Does anyone know what they are? I'm already thinking ahead to see if it might work out for next year!
Views: 757   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 23, 2015 10:33pm
by Rob Hausam
A big THANK YOU and GOOD LUCK from Cougie
Hello everyone, This is just a quick message to say thank you to each and every person that dropped in past Cougie during the Challenge - thank you for visiting us, along with Sasha and Iain. As most of you will know, this is the first year that we have been...
Views: 468   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 11, 2015 11:15pm
by Andrew W
..and so it begins
Good luck to all participants in this wonderful event. I hope you have fair winds and good company. I'm not taking part this year due to an accident of birth,ie it's my wife's 50th button the 19th and I've been strongly advised not to be "En crossant "this time...
Views: 367   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 8, 2015 2:07am
by Rod macdonald
Have a great crossing!
I hope it will be a great crossing for everyone - will be there with you in spirit. Enjoy!
Views: 251   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 7, 2015 5:10pm
by Rob Hausam
Have fun!
Wishing everyone a wonderful, successful, sun-blessed crossing… with you in spirit.
Views: 489   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 6, 2015 9:31pm
by Humphrey Weightm...
Bon voyage
Raising a glass to all Challengers and those manning control. Wishing everyone a safe, enjoyable and memorable crossing and hope to rejoin you soon. Phil Dowrick
Views: 338   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 6, 2015 5:44pm
by Theo
Snow = Boots or still wearing shoes?
So who is changing there foot wear from shoes to boots due to the snow and if not what precautions will you make with shoes in anticipation of snow?
Views: 753   Replies: 7
Last Post: May 6, 2015 5:39pm
by Stuart fraser
TGO 2015
Safe crossing to everyone enjoy!!
Views: 370   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 6, 2015 3:30pm
by Mike Gillespie
Compass reverse polarity - don't keep your compass near your camera.
I was planning to keep my compass and camera in a hip belt pocket so I did an experiment to see if it might be affected. Click on the link to see the result. Don't keep your compass near your camera There was a surprisingly large effect - so, it's not worth r...
Views: 498   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 6, 2015 12:58pm
by Jeremy Burrows
Good luck for TGOC 2015
We wish you all a safe an enjoyable crossing. Sue, along with Ann & Alvar and Gayle, will be awaiting your call at Control while Ali will be taking a wander across Scotland in a vaguely easterly direction . . We have updated the link at the top of the page to co...
Views: 406   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 5, 2015 11:13pm
by Ali & Sue
An amazing walk to all!
An amazing walk to all! And sending hugs, warmth, comfort and best wishes to my parents Louis & Phyllis
Views: 229   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 5, 2015 10:55pm
by Melanie LaBorwit
c
Caburn
Dalwhinnie Inn/Loch Ericht Inn - any news?
Does anyone know the state of play at the Dalwhinnie Inn/Loch Ericht Inn? I can't seem to locate it on t'internet.
Views: 666   Replies: 8
Last Post: May 5, 2015 8:55pm
by Andrew W
OMG
Views: 350   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 5, 2015 5:28pm
by Andrew W
Oban Starters
Hi all Oban starters. Where is the best place to eat drink and socialise in Oban on Thursday evening? Bernie
Views: 505   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 5, 2015 5:22pm
by Les & Issy Silko...
Good Luck
Wish you all "Good Luck" for this year tgo ! Marc
Views: 288   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 5, 2015 3:00pm
by Marc Kevers
Packed and ready to go ...
... starting pack weight around the 15 kilo mark, which is what it normally is. I'd like to get it down to about 14, but I can live with 15. Besides, if I ever do get it down to 14 or less I imagine I'll spend the entire crossing worrying which piece of essential equ...
Views: 638   Replies: 7
Last Post: May 4, 2015 11:09pm
by Phil Lambert
Glenfeshie Update
Back home from a wee stroll up Glenfeshie. The river and side burns have moved about quite a bit with lots of bank erosion. The bridge over the Allt Garbhlach at NN851953 was washed away in the Autumn storms but might be back in place for Challengers. The old ford at...
Views: 513   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 4, 2015 8:13pm
by john donohoe
New Bridge At Derry Lodge
Hi All, Yes great new bridge at Derry Lodge. However Glen Derry path is deeply water rutted for about 2K through the trees towards Derry Lodge. Spoke today to a family who were storm bound over the weekend in Corrour Bothy. They said lots and lots of snow in...
Views: 338   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 4, 2015 7:40pm
by doug bruce
Temporary Replacement Bridge Derry Lodge
Mar Lodge Estate have replaced the bridge at Derry Lodge that was washed away in August. The message was dated 30.04.2015 and shows a photo of the new bridge. If the forecast is correct, we should all be well practised in river crossings by then. Good Luck and...
Views: 314   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 4, 2015 2:22pm
by Jackie Ford
Snow
With one and a half weeks at least to go, I'm not certain how useful snow observations are at this time, but viewed from the bus on Thursday much of the Lochaber hills, including the Ben, Aonachs and Mamores where completely plastered down to relatively low levels as...
Views: 495   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 4, 2015 9:08am
by Colin Tock
j
Jean P
Good luck
Just heard my first cuckoo on the Eildon Hills this morning - the first of many, I hope, over the next two weeks. Good luck everyone - have a safe crossing.
Views: 271   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 4, 2015 9:07am
by Jean P
Glen Nevis wild caming
On Thursday afternoon after dropping off a Challenge parcel at the B&B in Fort William I hiked up Glen Nevis intending to wild camp beside the River...
Views: 462   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 3, 2015 9:30pm
by Colin Tock
Afore ye go; Spot Trackers etc
I'll be thinking of you all next week as you stride out on a new adventure across Scotland, and will be with you in spirit. Hopefully, I might be with you in person in 2016 or '17 (please don't let that put you off applying…). I'm feeling somewhat relaxed...
Views: 610   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 3, 2015 5:07pm
by Paul Myerscough
Snow Report 2
Just a quick update on snow conditions. I was on Lochnagar today and there's a lot of snow and it's still snowing. Fresh snow is settling down to about 600m but I would expect that to quickly melt at that elevation especially as it's forecast to warm up a little....
Views: 581   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 3, 2015 12:35pm
by Emma
e
Emma
The Old Mill, Peterculter
I wondered if anyone knew whether The Old Mill next to the campsite in Peterculter was still open? I get the impression it has now closed. Thank you!
Views: 510   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 2, 2015 6:24pm
by Ian Sommerville
Gelder Shiel Bothy
Hi All, As other posts state the area about the Bothy and the Bothy itself look to be out of bounds over the mid weekend of Challenge. I will put up notices in Braemar to this effect and also at entrance to Balmoral Estate from Braemar. My own thoughts are t...
Views: 423   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 2, 2015 11:33am
by doug bruce
3 MONTHS
Yes, sweet thing. Just three months to the off. Has Louise packed yet?
Views: 1171   Replies: 36
Last Post: May 2, 2015 9:19am
by Rod MacDonald
Gelder sheil closure dates
Due to refurbishment of the bothy . The Gelder sheil bothy shall be closed on the weekends 8th to 10th may . Also the weekend of 15th to 17th May . ian shand M.O..Gelder sheil bothy.
Views: 297   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 1, 2015 12:32pm
by ian shand
Gelder Shield Bothy on Balmoral
Hi All, I am now aware that Gelder Shield Bothy on Balmoral is about to get a refurbishment both inside and outside over the weekend of 8,9,10th May. It is also proposed to rename the Bothy -- Ernie's Bothy -- after late president of Ballater Charitable Chiels...
Views: 575   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 1, 2015 12:22pm
by ian shand
Travel, best solution? Montrose - Mallaig
Dear Forum, We are three danish wikings arriving by car the 7. of May. Our starting point is Mallaig (8. May). We plan to drive the car to Montrose, leave it there and take the train to Mallaig. 09:18 Montrose - 11:15 Glasgow Queen Street 12:21 Glasgow Queen...
Views: 665   Replies: 11
Last Post: May 1, 2015 7:47am
by Louise
MEETING UP AT THE BREE LOUISE, EUSTON
A message for Challengers traveling on the Wednesday night Sleepers from Euston: There will be an informal gathering at the Bree Louise pub (just seconds away from Euston station) from about 6:30pm onwards. Should you be peckish there is a wonderful range of pies...
Views: 649   Replies: 10
Last Post: Apr 30, 2015 4:05pm
by Gordon Green
Gentle reminder: don't leave it too late!
Time marches on and before you know it you will be tramping the hills... so if you have not yet ordered any food to take with you, now is the time to do it! Remember it's a Bank Holiday on Monday, so today and tomorrow are the ideal days to get your order in :) Re...
Views: 366   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 30, 2015 10:14am
by Chris, outdoorsg...
The Deeside Way
Challengers thinking about FWAs from Ballater or who fancy a walk to the coast which doesn't involve much road walking, may be interested in my short illustrated guide to the Deeside Way. Free to download. Aberdeen to Ballater on the Deeside Way Its about 40...
Views: 696   Replies: 7
Last Post: Apr 29, 2015 10:48pm
by Allan Brown
Brownmuir camp site
The Brownmuir camp site, midway between Auchanblae and Fordoun has closed following the death of Melvyn Bowers last year, however if you knock on the cottage door June Bowers will still allow you to camp there and provide water but there are no other facilities. Jus...
Views: 433   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 29, 2015 4:02pm
by Stan Appleton
Morar Hotel re-opening
Some good accommodation news for once! The Morar Hotel has changed hands and will be open full time again by the time the Challenge starts. Previously it only opened for coach parties and more recently was closed altogether. Maggie from Harlosh House felt it is a...
Views: 403   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 29, 2015 2:14pm
by Jeremy Burrows
Snow ...
.. has been falling hard for the last 2 hours with no sign of letting up. It is even settling on the sheep. I have just swapped my normal Challenge sleeping bag for my Nepal one. 0.5kg heavier, but I am not taking any chances. Brrrrr!
Views: 716   Replies: 10
Last Post: Apr 29, 2015 2:00pm
by Jeremy Burrows
Cold snap forecast? Quick insulation deals for fellow Challengers
Like many we are looking at the forecast and considering our insulation more seriously than usual this year. The best option being to wear warmer clothing in bed rather than carry a heavier sleeping system, as you also get to wear it in camp too. We had our Outdoo...
Views: 525   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 29, 2015 1:00pm
by Podcast Bob
Glen Affric
For those travelling along Glen Affric, a quick check confirms that the Dog Falls Bridge and approaches have been repaired and is fully open to all.
Views: 365   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 29, 2015 11:54am
by RayDisson
Braemar Update
Hi All, Good News from Braemar. Last weekend a new temporary bridge was placed over the River Derry at Derry Lodge. (Last one washed away in December) This bridge it very much a temp bridge made from a radio mast. Care must be used in crossing bridge. Other...
Views: 415   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 29, 2015 11:04am
by doug bruce
Foot Balm Suggestions Please
In a bit of a panic when I realized my favorite foot balm, Hydropel, seems to be out-of-stock at all the usual. It was a dimethicone/petroleum jelly based product that really did the trick for repelling moisture and lessening friction on the feet. Expensive, but on...
Views: 966   Replies: 23
Last Post: Apr 28, 2015 10:56pm
by Podcast bob
Carrying antiseptic cream
I discussed with my GP today whether he thought it was worth carrying antiseptic cream when backpacking. His view was that cleaning the wound was what was important. Antiseptic cream wasn't of much use and so not worth carrying. Are there any medical Challengers o...
Views: 525   Replies: 8
Last Post: Apr 28, 2015 10:13pm
by Waldo.
c
Cougie
Accommodation at Cougie
Hello everyone, For all of those who have passed through Cougie in the past few years, just to let you know that Valerie Pocock passed away in June 2014. Valerie provided accommodation and refreshments for the Challenge and this year (2015) we as a family are...
Views: 917   Replies: 9
Last Post: Apr 28, 2015 7:48pm
by Melanie
TGO Challenge Tracking/Group at Map Social Hiking
As already mentioned in the "Final Details", Phil Sorrell at Social Hiking (www.shareyouradventure.com) has once again kindly agreed to set up a page for the TGO Challenge. Set Up Guide to be found HERE The actual Group Map: HERE Please note that the map for...
Views: 502   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 28, 2015 10:16am
by Phil Dowrick
Fjallraven tents for loan to challengers
Hello TGO Challengers!! We hope you are all looking forward to the start of this year's event. We are delighted to be the 2nd sponsor of this year's challenge and wondered whether the following offer would be of interest to any participants. We have three of ou...
Views: 578   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 27, 2015 7:51am
by Gordie
Bus and Train Tickets available and accomodation
Unfortunately due to injury I have had to withdraw from this years event. I have a train ticket from Oxenholme to Glasgow and a bus ticket from Glasgow to Shiel Bridge on Thursday May 7th and train ticket from Montrose to Edinburgh and Edinburgh to Oxenholme on Frida...
Views: 344   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 27, 2015 7:47am
by Paul Byrne
Restocking in Ballater
I was in Ballater the other day and noticed that the Coop foodstore on the corner has closed. There is now a much larger store in the old bus station on the other side of the square which seems to open early until reasonably late.
Views: 442   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 23, 2015 8:28pm
by Laura Liddell
Boat of Garten camping??
I have just phoned Boat of Garten camp site to try to book for one night and been told that they are fully booked till October! I explained about the TGO Challenge and that I only wanted one night, and was curtly told again that they are fully booked till October....
Views: 502   Replies: 9
Last Post: Apr 22, 2015 4:16pm
by Kirsten Paterson
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24