Return to Website

Message Board

Discuss Anything Related to Auto Racing. Click on Banner at Left to Return to Vintage Modifieds Web Site

Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Denis Giroux

If I remember correctly, He was driving the #9 on the first lap of the spring sizzler at Stafford, the throttle stuck going into the first turn. It was a hard impact and Denis was seriously hurt.

Re: Re: Re: Denis Giroux

it was the second sizzler 1973 and he was driving the new pinto and it went into turn 1

Re: Denis Giroux

I keep thinking Thompson but my memory ain't so good. Since I do recall a wall in the sequence Stafford would be the place. Wherever it was I was there and I thought he wrecked 2 cars that day. The 2nd being the one that put him out of racing. I thought I had heard he lost his memory and spent time somewhere recouperating. Again, just a rumor, but he regained his memory when he found himself standing in front the last thing he saw in the accident, a white colored wall. Can't confirm any of this. It might be just someone's embellished story? Anyone else know something about this? Was he from Canada?
I liked him and would have liked to see him continue racing.

Re: Denis Giroux

Greetings, I was there for that race. Although some details are gone most remain. The car Denis was driving was a new car with a pinto body (I think). What happened was that someone blew a motor going into turn 1 which stacked up traffic with spinning cars and drivers checking up. The throttle stuck on the car Denis was driving. He hit the cars in front of him launching him airborne into the concrete wall in turn 1.One driver he went over was Leo Cleary who told me that it sounded like a jet going overhead. Denis hit so hard that he broke the new harness and hit his head breaking his helmet. He never drove after that . That I know of. Hope this helps answer your question. J