Return to Website

Message Board

Discuss Anything Related to Auto Racing. Click on Banner at Left to Return to Vintage Modifieds Web Site

Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
modified crash 1990 or 1991

does any one remember a modified crash on the front stretch of riverside park speedway that involved 3 cars which burst into flames? what year was it? and i remember 1 or 2 drivers pulling out the driver who was in one of the cars. he went thru the flames to save this guy because he was more protected than the firefighters at the track... i think it was steve park, can anyone verify that for me?

thanks
rob

Re: Modified Crash 1990 or 1991

It was 1990 and Tom Bolles #73 and Wade Cole #33 were involved I believe. I could look in the race papers for more details.

Re: Re: Modified Crash 1990 or 1991

YES, THOSE NAMES RING A BELL! I BELIEVE IT WAS THE DAY SATURDAY NIGHT BEFORE FATHERS DAY (6/16) I THINK IT WAS.
I RACED THE ENDURO RACE THE FOLLOWING DAY... I REMEMBER THERE BEING ALOT OF TALK ABOUT IT. I ALSO REMEMBER SOMEONE SAYING STEVE PARK WAS A HERO THAT NIGHT FOR PULLING OUT ONE OF THESE DRIVERS. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD LOCATE A VIDEO OF THIS.
IF IT WAS STEVE PARK THAT DID THIS, I THINK SOMEONE SHOULD LET THE NATIONAL MEDIA KNOW OF THIS

Re: Modified Crash 1990

Eddie D'Hondt #9 was the driver pulled out from his burning car at that 6/16/90 event. Charlie Pasteryak #5, Wade Cole #33 and Brad Hietals #54 were involved in the crash too. Several drivers and speedway officials pulled Eddie out of his destroyed car caused by the heat and flames. Steve Park wasn't mentioned as one of the drivers who helped or was there though. Wade was the only one who suffered burns.

Re: Re: Modified Crash 1990

It's Hietala.

Re: Re: Re: Modified Crash 1990

The Fire was horrible! I was in the pits on the back stretch with a perfect view of the incident. Eddie D'hondt in the #9 (Ben Dodge's car?), Wade Cole #33, Brad Hietala 54(?) and another car, which as I can't recall were in a pile one the front stretch. Stan Greger was in our car that just barely was at the tail end of the mess. Everything settled down for a second until one of the cars tried to restart and then it just erupted in flames. Wade was trapped in his car so Brad Hietala went in to the fire to pull him out. The Flame were so bad he had to pull back for a second, then I remember Brad lowering the visor on his helmet and go back into the flames and got Wade out. Truly the most heroic thing I have ever seen.

Re: Re: Modified Crash 1990

Thank you so very much Captain History. You are truely a historian of motor sports!!!
Thank you so very much for refreshing my memory!!!

Re: Re: Re: Modified Crash 1990

I remember seeing this on the weekly racing show on Nesn back in the day. I would also check with Kenny at KGM video I am sure he has it.