Return to Website

Message Board

Discuss Anything Related to Auto Racing. Click on Banner at Left to Return to Vintage Modifieds Web Site

Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
creating vintage modified

Hey guys GREAT site!! I would like to build a retro Vintage modified Pinto, for the street no less. I would like to find out they used to build these cars. Did they have quick changes, did they use a camaro front clip, + all other details to make this authentic as I can.
Thanks tons.
Ron.

Re: creating vintage modified

Traditional asphalt Mods used '55-57 Chevy chassis (boxed for added strength). Yes, they used quick-change rear ends. No Camaro front clips! (Those were for newer, "limited" or IMCA Mods). I think a lot of them used Pinto rack-and-pinion steering in the '70s. The big thing would be to make it look authentic -- don't make it too low or too nice. And no stick-on graphics (my opinion), since 99.9% used signpainters. I have a copy of Lancaster (NY) Speedway's 1969 rulebook, which also was used for the Modified class at Cayuga Speedway (their Friday-night "sister" track in Canada) and Spencer Speedway (also a Friday-night track, near Rochester). Get as much info and photos as you can. Stock Car Racing Magazine (around '72?) did a series called "Project Modified" where they actually built an asphalt Mod, step by step. I can also give you names/numbers of retired '60s-'70s drivers who built their own cars back then. jbisci@buffalo.com www.Turn5Photo.com