Return to Website

The Mike Love Fan Club

Welcome to The Mike Love Fan Club Message Board! The Mike Love Fan Club reserves the right to delete offensive posts.

The Mike Love Fan Club
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Summer in Paradise

I read some reviews that Summer in Paradise was a CD that not many thought alot of when I tried to order it online. What do you guys think? Personally, It was one of my favorite CDs. I loved it. Yes it was different then the others, but I thought that Mike and the Boys made it work really well!!

What are you listening to right now? Beach Boys Of COURSE!!

Re: Summer in Paradise

I know critics, in general, dont think much of Sip, but as a big fan of good BeachBoy music, It is my favorite latter day beachboy cd!! Mike great job capturing the Beachboy mentality!!!!!

What are you listening to right now? BeachBoys

Summer in Paradise was a below average attempt. Three songs are cover songs. The entire album was made using pro tools on a computer. The only Beach Boy to play on the album was Bruce Johnston. Terry Melcher played keyboard and Van **** Parks played the accordian two tracks. The album sold terrible and it's no wonder Carl didn't add more than his voice to it.

What are you listening to right now? U2

I used to have it but later on it became nothing but joke to me the more I listened to the Beach Boys and especially Surfin with a 90's electric pop beat. It was to bad they couldn't come up with a better album than this which later on ended up in bargain CD bins.

It had some great vocals like Carl on Walkin in the Sand, but the computerized music left a lot to be disired. I like the European version better than what was released here in the U.S. The marketing of the album was poor. It was distributed by an independant distribution company. The Beach Boys ran a double page ad for the album in Billboard magazine, yet the retail record stores in Memphis didn't have it available until one month after the ad ran. Very poor coordination.

Lahaina Aloha is the only song from that album worth listening to.

What are you listening to right now? The Beach Boys Love You

I really like the title track. It really worked in concert back in the day. Can't stand the reworked "Surfin," though.

If you want to hear some really good "newer" Beach Boys stuff, check out some of Brian Wilson's solo albums. They can be uneven, but the gems are worth the price - like "Imagination." The title track and "South America" are excellent. Brian's completed "Smile" is also worth a listen for true Beach Boys fans. Too bad it wasn't finished in 1967 - there would be no debate as to who the greatest rock band ever was!!

What are you listening to right now? Beach Boys Live in Jamaica