Return to Website

The Mike Love Fan Club

Welcome to The Mike Love Fan Club Message Board! The Mike Love Fan Club reserves the right to delete offensive posts.

The Mike Love Fan Club
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Now you're talkin'

I though this was supposed to be the Mike Love Fan Club board. If you don't have anything nice to say, post it somewhere else. He puts alot of energy and enthusiasm into his shows. He is fun to watch and he is a Beach Boy, just like Brian. Watching him sing and mingle with the audience, you're watching a legend, just like Brian. Brian puts on good shows too, but I prefer to see Mike and Bruce. They are more entertaining. Maybe if we think and hope and wish and pray it might come true that they get back together. Then everyone would be happy.

Re: Mike IS the Beach Boys!

No with out the music of Brian Wilson the true talent of the group and especially the Wilson brothers Brian, Dennis and Carl there would have been no Beach Boys. Mike says he wrote those songs all by himself well he's lying he only wrote the lyrics and sang lead Brian wrote the music and did everything else. Mike Love is full of himself.

Re: Mike IS the Beach Boys!

Oh and about Mike saying he wrote Good Vibrations all by himself. Brian already had that song written before he went to Mike to have him write new lyrics. Mike could never write a song like that by himself in a million years. And Surfer the fact Brian wrote that alone in his car explains it self.

Re: Re: Mike IS the Beach Boys!

Jeremy,
Brian and Tony Asher actually had the rough cut of Good Vibrations done which is the version you year on the '04 Smile Album. Mike added "I'm pickin up good vibrations, she's givin me excitations". which I give him credit for that but Brian and Tony Asher wrote the rest of the song. Listen to the beginning and the ending of the '04 version of the Smile album and that was Tony Ashers influence on the song. The 66 version had Brian Wilson and Mike Love as writers. The'04 Smile version added Tony Asher to the writing credit and deservingly so. Tony Asher helped Brian write the Pet Sounds album and Good Vibrations was written during this period. Below is Brians input to Rolling Stone. Even without Mikes input at all Good Vibraions would have been a No.1 song.

Written by: Brian Wilson, Mike Love
Produced by: Wilson
Released: Oct. '66 on Capitol
Charts: 14 weeks
Top spot: No. 1

It scared me, the word 'vibrations,' " Brian Wilson once said, remembering how, when he was a boy, his mother, Audree, tried to explain why dogs barked at some people and not others. "A dog would pick up vibrations from these people that you can't see but you can feel. And the same thing happened with people." "Good Vibrations," Wilson's crowning achievement as a songwriter and producer, harnessed that energy and turned it into eternal sunshine. "This is a very spiritual song," he said after its release, "and I want it to give off good vibrations."

Wilson, then twenty-four, also had another, more selfish goal in mind: "I said, 'This is going to be better than 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'.' "

Wilson was still working on his long-playing magnum opus, Pet Sounds, when he started "Good Vibrations" late on the night of February 17th, 1966, at Gold Star Recorders in Los Angeles. During the next seven months, in four studios, at a cost of more than $50,000 (at that point the greatest sum ever spent on a single), Wilson built "Good Vibrations" in sections, coloring the mood swings with locomotive cello, saloon piano and the spectral wail of a theremin. "We didn't think about doing it in pieces at first," Wilson says now, "but after the first few bars in the first verse, we realized that this was going to be a different kind of record." Very different. Wilson -- free to experiment while the other Beach Boys were on tour -- could not stop wrestling with combinations of instruments and rhythmic approaches. One discarded version of the song had an R&B backbeat.

"Good Vibrations" became the Beach Boys' third Number One hit, but it was a short window of glory -- for the Beach Boys commercially, for Wilson creatively and emotionally. The song was intended to appear on the group's Smile album, but Wilson -- suffering from depression and battling the other Beach Boys over the group's direction -- abandoned Smile in May 1967. He finally completed the record earlier this year, and "Good Vibrations" has become the high point of his SMiLE tour. " 'Good Vibrations' now is the best its ever been," says Wilson. "It went to Number One in 1966, and now we get standing ovations every time we play it live. It's incredible to me."

Appears on: Smiley Smile/Wild Honey (Capitol)

What are you listening to right now? Kid Rock