Return to Website

The Mike Love Fan Club

Welcome to The Mike Love Fan Club Message Board! The Mike Love Fan Club reserves the right to delete offensive posts.

The Mike Love Fan Club
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Legal deal restores good vibrations to Beach Boys

Legal deal restores good vibrations to Beach Boys
By Steve Gorman,Reuters
Posted: 2008-03-20 21:00:45
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - An out-of-court settlement has restored good vibrations among the three surviving original members of the Beach Boys, an attorney involved in the case said Thursday.

The agreement, reached Wednesday after two days of talks mediated by a Los Angeles Superior Court judge, put to rest years of litigation stemming from a dispute between Al Jardine and his ex-bandmates over the group's name, which defined the California surf sound of the 1960s.

Jardine -- a co-founder of the band with brothers Brian, Carl and Dennis Wilson and their cousin, Mike Love -- had been touring under such names as "Beach Boys Family & Friends" until a federal judge ruled in 2000 he was engaging in trademark infringement.

The decision affirmed Love's claim as the sole licensee of the "Beach Boys" name under a deal he negotiated with the band's corporate entity, Brother Records Inc, in 1998.

A U.S. appeals court upheld that ruling in 2003, again siding against Jardine in the case brought by Love, Brian Wilson and the estate of Carl Wilson, who died of cancer in 1998. Dennis Wilson drowned in 1983.

Love and the Carl Wilson estate sued Jardine again on behalf of Brother Records in 2004 seeking $2.2 million in legal fees spent in the original litigation against him.

It was that case, set for trial next month, that was settled this week, said Carla DiMare, who represents the Carl Wilson estate, consisting of his two sons, Justyn and Jonah.

"The parties amicably settled," she told Reuters, adding that terms of the agreement were confidential.

"Mr. Love and ... Mr. Jardine are looking forward to bringing more great Beach Boys music to the United States and around the world, particularly as they approach their 50th anniversary," DiMare said.

Love and Jardine both attended the settlement conference, spending the first day in court chatting and occasionally singing lines from the Beach boys hit "Help Me Rhonda" and other songs while attorneys met with the judge in chambers. Brian Wilson also attended for part of the first day.

All three are shareholders of Brother Records, along with the Carl Wilson Estate.

Founded in suburban Los Angeles in the early 1960s, the Beach Boys reigned for several years as America's leading pop group with such hits as "I Get Around," "Surfin' U.S.A.," and "Good Vibrations."

Brian Wilson, Love and Jardine made a rare joint public appearance in June 2006 to celebrate the double-platinum certification of their 2003 greatest-hits collection, "Sounds of Summer: The Very Best of the Beach Boys."

Also on hand for that event were Bruce Johnston, who joined the Beach Boys' touring lineup in 1965, and David Marks, who briefly filled in for Jardine during the early 1960s.

Jardine joined Brian Wilson in November 2006 for a series of concert performances of the Beach Boys' landmark "Pet Sounds" album.

Re: Legal deal restores good vibrations to Beach Boys

Do you think this will restore "all" of the Beach Boys as one group again? Maybe, if we think and wish and pray it might come true! It would be wonderful!!!

What are you listening to right now? Do YOu Wanna Dance?

Re: Re: Legal deal restores good vibrations to Beach Boys

Sorry - Left out hope!

What are you listening to right now? Do YOu Wanna Dance?

Re: Re: Re: Legal deal restores good vibrations to Beach Boys

Wait a minute...I don't think it was Mike & Al singing HELP ME RONDA in court. It was Brian & Al. Mike, again folks, showed up late. No singing between Al & Mike.

What are you listening to right now? Carl & The Passions-So Tough (side 2...All This Is That)

Re: Legal deal restores good vibrations to Beach Boys

Gosh does this mean Mike Love is going to stop picking on Al it's only about time. At least I hope that's what this means with Mike ya never know so I guess will see.

Re: Re: Legal deal restores good vibrations to Beach Boys

Lst I heard Mike will be suing Yoko so he can tour as "The Beatles". He once walked by John Lennon at a party once and feels he is being robbed.

"Sure they may have come up with all the music, but I was the one that wanted to hold someone's hand. Without me, they would be nowhere".

What are you listening to right now? Brian Wilson's "Smile"